Celebs and Plastic Surgery

My point is that you said women do this to please themselves and other women but not men, and that is not true, and that men are not judged nearly as harshly based upon looks alone as women are. Are you seriously denying this?

To be fair, I'd say it's both. Women who get surgery are both insecure with themselves, and think men will find them more attractive after surgery.

Unfortunately, they simply have a mistaken impression of men's desires a lot of the time.

Another thing, your comment about these guys being type cast is bogus. A LOT Of those guys have been the leading men in movies.

A couple of them are, like Brody.

Again, however, not everyone agrees that he's ugly. Some women find him attractive.

Attraction in women isn't purely, or even primarily, physical, so there's a lot more variation in what they're drawn to.

My point is that you said women do this to please themselves and other women but not men, and that is not true, and that men are not judged nearly as harshly based upon looks alone as women are. Are you seriously denying this?

To be fair, I'd say it's both. Women who get surgery are both insecure with themselves, and think men will find them more attractive after surgery.

Unfortunately, they simply have a mistaken impression of men's desires a lot of the time.

Another thing, your comment about these guys being type cast is bogus. A LOT Of those guys have been the leading men in movies.

Again, however, not everyone agrees that he's ugly. Some women find him attractive.

Attraction in women isn't purely, or even primarily, physical, so there's a lot more variation in what they're drawn to.

Exactly, and this plays into the double standard. Men are not judged on their appearances alone, yet women, in a lot if not most cases, are judged strictly on how they appear outwardly.

And I have to keep going back to what the other poster JUST stated a couple of pages ago, about Tori Spelling being a "double bagger." Were any women SO crude and judgmental about Tori's appearance? Not to mention, again, the side by side pictures there are comparing her from when she was a teenager to now, being a woman in her 40s! And I really didn't think she looked that ugly anyway, either then or now. She looks like an average-looking woman in both pictures IMO.

Aww, some of those "unattractive" actors are beautiful: Aiden Quinn, Richard Harris, Laurence Fishburne, John Hawks, Adrien Brody, etc.

While I don't personally find some attractive, some definitely got in on their looks: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudgard Howard, Christopher Walken, Malcolm McDowell, etc.

I don't look at child actors the same. One never really knows how the kid will eventually look. Same with comedians, IMO. Women comedians like Rosanne Barr and Ellen Degenerous got in the same way. Ellen is one who is better looking as she ages, IMO.

On a side note but sort of related, black women often age very well, continue to work and seem to be able to choose roles more selectively. Angela Bassett is a beauty and a quality actress IMO.

Last edited:
Aww, some of those "unattractive" actors are beautiful: Aiden Quinn, Richard Harris, Laurence Fishburne, John Hawks, Adrien Brody, etc.

While I don't personally find some attractive, some definitely got in on their looks: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudgard Howard, Christopher Walken, Malcolm McDowell, etc.

I don't look at child actors the same. One never really knows how the kid will eventually look.

I think it is much easier for women to see past "physical appearances." Some (a lot actually) men seem to be really stuck on body parts of women, such as boobs and butts. I don't judge men based upon the size of the bulge I see in their pants! :lol:

Brody is quite attractive!

Exactly, and this plays into the double standard. Men are not judged on their appearances alone, yet women, in a lot if not most cases, are judged strictly on how they appear outwardly.

Maybe so, but that's just an innate difference between the sexes. Men are more visually stimulated. Women need a bit more than that.

It's not like there's some kind of crazy conspiracy against women here or anything. lol

It also doesn't change the fact that a lot of women who think they need surgery to be attractive are fooling themselves.

Maybe so, but that's just an innate difference between the sexes. Men are more visually stimulated. Women need a bit more than that.

It's not like there's some kind of crazy conspiracy against women here or anything. lol

It also doesn't change the fact that a lot of women who think they need surgery to be attractive are fooling themselves.

I never said it was a crazy conspiracy. I said that women feel pressure to maintain a youthful appearance at any cost due to societal pressures. Whether those are intentional or unintentional is irrelevant. That was the whole premise of my thread.

I never said it was a crazy conspiracy. I said that women feel pressure to maintain a youthful appearance at any cost due to societal pressures. Whether those are intentional or unintentional is irrelevant. That was the whole premise of my thread.

Social standards certainly play into it. I simply wouldn't say that men are the only reason they exist. A lot of contemporary standards for beauty are actually set by women (and, to a smaller extent, gay men).

If we had our way, you guys would be running around half naked all the time.
icon_lol.gif

Where the current "duck face" trend is concerned, I definitely think that's something women invented rather than men.

I have yet to meet a single man who ever found the look attractive.

Case in point, Sean Connery. I did not find him attractive in his Bond days, but from Highlander to that researcher in the jungle movie, he was smoldering! Although he is not aging so well these days, I still see him (and hear him) at his (IMO) best.

Social standards certainly play into it. I simply wouldn't say that men are the only reason they exist. A lot of contemporary standards for beauty are actually set by women (and, to a smaller extent, gay men).

If we had our way, you guys would be running around half naked all the time.
icon_lol.gif

Where the current "duck face" trend is concerned, I definitely think that's something women invented rather than men.

I have yet to meet a single man who ever found the look attractive.

Yes, I think that started with trying to make their lips look bigger . . . because MEN prefer more fuller lips. :biggrin:

Yes, I think that started with trying to make their lips look bigger . . . because MEN prefer more fuller lips. :biggrin:

Well, yea. It's the result of insecure women working off of what they think men will find attractive, and pressuring other women to do the same.

They simply happen to be wrong.
icon_lol.gif

Well, yea. It's the result of insecure women working off of what they think men will find attractive, and pressuring other women to do the same.

They simply happen to be wrong.
icon_lol.gif

Okay, but that's not the case with most cosmetic procedures. I think that most women don't really care about another woman's arse. In fact, I think that most women find a bum as large as Niki Minaj's butt to be quite strange looking and unattractive too. I think she looks just like a caricature. Like something you would see drawn on an old TV Guide or something! It's just . . . silly looking!!! :lol:

I think the lip thing is mostly women. I don't know any man that finds it attractive, except maybe on Angelina Jolie, and only when she is well made up, not that cracked horrible look when she's caught off guard.

It is a horrible trend I hope dies soon.

Okay, but that's not the case with most cosmetic procedures. I think that most women don't really care about another woman's arse. In fact, I think that most women find a bum as large as Niki Minaj's butt to be quite strange looking and unattractive too. I think she looks just like a caricature. Like something you would see drawn on an old TV Guide or something! It's just . . . silly looking!!! :lol:

I don't disagree. However, a lot of black guys do like it, apparently.
lol.gif

The only thing I'd say about boob jobs is that they can be a status symbol for a wealthy woman, which might give her bragging rights with her friends.

Apart from that, however, I would say that appearances are a big part of the reason why women get them.

I can see how butt implants are a misguided attempt to attract black males. Most women I know are critical of big butts, thus, "Does this make my ass look fat?"

I don't disagree. However, a lot of black guys do like it, apparently.
lol.gif

The only thing I'd say about boob jobs is that they can be a status symbol for a wealthy woman, which might give her bragging rights with her friends.

Apart from that, however, I would say that appearances are a big part of the reason why women get them.

That's my point Sgt, Nicki (or Niki, whatever), definitely did not get butt implants for other women's sakes, or to impress them.

Maybe for a few women, they might get breast implants as a "status" symbol, but I think most of them get them to look more attractive to men, whether it be their husbands or, if they're single, to attract men. The woman with the size double D cup size is going to get a LOT more attention than the women with an A or a B. Lol! MEN are the ones who place such importance on those types of things, IMO.

That's my point Sgt, Nicki (or Niki, whatever), definitely did not get butt implants for other women's sakes, or to impress them.

Maybe for a few women, they might get breast implants as a "status" symbol, but I think most of them get them to look more attractive to men, whether it be their husbands or, if they're single, to attract men. The woman with the size double D cup size is going to get a LOT more attention than the women with an A or a B. Lol! MEN are the ones who place such importance on those types of things, IMO.

True. If she's going for giant balloon boobs, that's probably something a woman is doing to attract men.

As with the lips, however, I'd say that's misguided in a lot of cases. Only a minority of men find that kind of thing attractive.

Personally, I actually find it to be a turn off more often than not.

Forum List

Back