🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Census Bureau: California still has highest U.S. poverty rate

I've lived in California for almost 30 years and I love this state. It's physically beautiful. When I first got here the place was great. We had an excellent economy. We had moderate Republican governors acting as a counterbalance to reign in the wingnut liberals. We protected our citizens jobs with a rational immigration policy. It was a nice balance.

Now, we have fruitcake liberals running the whole shebang and honestly, it's a mess. New taxes , fees, and regulations crop up almost daily. We have illegals everywhere. I ran a help wanted ad recently- had a shitload of applicants- almost all illegal. I can't hire them, but Moonbeam Brown says "you're welcome here". How are these people supposed to support themselves?

Taxes are sickeningly high. Workers compensation fraud is rampant. The environazi's have destroyed the central valley to save a fish. The state is papering over it's massive debt with more and more bonds. And Moonbeam wants to build a Billion $ bullet train......:rofl:

You gotta love Californians. Some of the biggest environmental nut jobs on the planet yet they waste water by turning a desert into a state of water guzzlers second to none.
Then they accuse the rest of the country of being harmful to the environment.
The land of fruits and nuts indeed.
and yet this land of "fruits" and "nuts" has had the best economy for quite a while now and has been a leader in innovation for decades....its funny how when Cal was doing great so many fell over themselves to try and live here and now with its downturn people like you start the kicking....as Spock would say.....Fascinating....

I wouldnt live there if you paid me.
And you didnt address my main point. The state of California does more environmental damage than any state in the country.
i agree with Luissa....got a link?.....here is one saying Cal is not in the top 10 for least Green States......Ohio worst....

Top 10 Most - and Least - Green U.S. States - DailyFinance

here is another saying Cal is 16th best....once again Ohio worst...

The Environmental State of The Union A Survey of Pollution Energy Use and Policy in all 50 States - 24 7 Wall St.
Cal is no 14 on this one...
America s Greenest States - Forbes

You gotta love Californians. Some of the biggest environmental nut jobs on the planet yet they waste water by turning a desert into a state of water guzzlers second to none.
and yet this land of "fruits" and "nuts" has had the best economy for quite a while now and has been a leader in innovation for decades....its funny how when Cal was doing great so many fell over themselves to try and live here and now with its downturn people like you start the kicking....as Spock would say.....Fascinating....

And you didnt address my main point. The state of California does more environmental damage than any state in the country.
i agree with Luissa....got a link?.....here is one saying Cal is not in the top 10 for least Green States......Ohio worst....

Top 10 Most - and Least - Green U.S. States - DailyFinance

here is another saying Cal is 16th best....once again Ohio worst...

The Environmental State of The Union A Survey of Pollution Energy Use and Policy in all 50 States - 24 7 Wall St.
Cal is no 14 on this one...
America s Greenest States - Forbes

Turning a desert into a livable environment is in in of itself environmentally unsound.
Whatever happened to not disturbing the natural order of things?
If the environment cant support a huge city unless you drain rivers it's a bad environmental policy.

Do you have a link? It could be true, but proof would be great.

Proof? Jesus Christ!! They pump billions of acre feet of water into a desert environment that was never intended to be anything but desert.
the Central Valley is not classified as a desert....its a semi-arid Mediterranean Climate .....the southern tip by Bakersfield is the closest thing to an actual desert classified as " low-latitude desert" or Dry Mediterranean Steppe......a Desert is in southern cal....the Mohave....thats a desert....

Proof? Jesus Christ!! They pump billions of acre feet of water into a desert environment that was never intended to be anything but desert.
the Central Valley is not classified as a desert....its a semi-arid Mediterranean Climate .....the southern tip by Bakersfield is the closest thing to an actual desert classified as " low-latitude desert" or Dry Mediterranean Steppe......a Desert is in southern cal....the Mohave....thats a desert....

Than why is the state of California going dry if things are so peachy?
California has obviously over taxed nature and it cant support itself with the water available even when they have pumped the rivers and reservoirs dry.
Doesnt sound like it's sustainable or environmentally sound to me.

California has obviously over taxed nature and it cant support itself with the water available even when they have pumped the rivers and reservoirs dry.
did i say anything about it being peachy here?.....what i heard on the weather yesterday they said there is still a chance we could get an El Nino this winter if so Drought over.....but they said right now there is more of a chance we will get a weak El Nino....which could still bring heavy rains in just not as much......but peachy?....

America s 10 Most Polluted States

You would be wrong.

And try living in Washington State, people with cancer from Hanford would love your deserts. ;)

did i say anything about it being peachy here?.....what i heard on the weather yesterday they said there is still a chance we could get an El Nino this winter if so Drought over.....but they said right now there is more of a chance we will get a weak El Nino....which could still bring heavy rains in just not as much......but peachy?....

Cali has over used it's water resources to the detriment of the environment.
Which why I said Cali is a huge destroyer of the environment.

America s 10 Most Polluted States

You would be wrong.

And try living in Washington State, people with cancer from Hanford would love your deserts. ;)

You obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

"
California continues to have – by far – the nation’s highest level of poverty under an alternative method devised by the Census Bureau that takes into account both broader measures of income and the cost of living.

Nearly a quarter of the state’s 38 million residents (8.9 million) live in poverty, a new Census Bureau report says, a level virtually unchanged since the agency first began reporting on the method’s effects."

Read more here: Census Bureau California still has highest U.S. poverty rate The Sacramento Bee

Huh, whoda thunk it?

The biggest reason is that the 'alternative method' measures income vs cost of living, including housing of course, which is very high in California.

"
California continues to have – by far – the nation’s highest level of poverty under an alternative method devised by the Census Bureau that takes into account both broader measures of income and the cost of living.

Nearly a quarter of the state’s 38 million residents (8.9 million) live in poverty, a new Census Bureau report says, a level virtually unchanged since the agency first began reporting on the method’s effects."

Read more here: Census Bureau California still has highest U.S. poverty rate The Sacramento Bee

Huh, whoda thunk it?

The biggest reason is that the 'alternative method' measures income vs cost of living, including housing of course, which is very high in California.

Actually it is far more detailed.....http://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...ml=gd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
The SPM extends the official poverty measure by taking account of
many of the government programs designed to assist low-income
families and individuals that are not included in the current official
poverty measure

And far more accurate.

Last edited:
Despite the very real problems you mention, California still drives the US economy. You buy our weed, wine, nuts, produce and cheese. You watch our sit coms. You line up around the block, by the millions, to watch yet another iteration of our endless stream of stupid comic book movies, or Disney, or Pixar.

Facebook, Google, Oracle, IMB, PayPal, Twitter, Yahoo, Zinga, Craig's List, Tesla, eBay, Western Digital, Gilead, Activision, Electronic Arts, etcetera to near infinity. You've taken the bite of the Apple (based in Cupertino), haven't you?

You're on Netflix (Californian co.), aren't you? They've put your local video store out of business. Where did McDonald's and Burger King and all those other fast food restaurants come from? They came from California. The corporate wasteland you have come to know and love spread to your neighborhood from California.

You've been Californicated, all of you. You probably say 'dude' and 'awesome' at 4 times the acceptable rate.

Anyway, we Californians need to get back to spying on your Facebook and Gmail accounts, so we can figure out how to sell you a lame looking internet wristwatch.

I bet we buy whole lot less since ya turned central valley back into desert .....

Well, the drought turned the Central Valley back into a desert, just a bit. There's been a high pressure ridge sitting offshore for a few years now, and it won't let any rain come onshore. So, you're correct. You are buying slightly less. But, in my experience of driving through the Valley, I still don't see a lot of abandoned fields. The rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.
The central valley is not suffering drought, you get table grapes from the central valley. Every Walmart in the usa has california grapes, not possible if we are dry.

You are a fucking moron. The entire state of California is in a drought.
Yet anyone can go to Walmart and buy california grapes that are fat with water, you can buy our almonds, and our lettuce.

Take a look at the grapes and lettuce in the supermarket and ask yourself, what does seaswytch know

Despite the very real problems you mention, California still drives the US economy. You buy our weed, wine, nuts, produce and cheese. You watch our sit coms. You line up around the block, by the millions, to watch yet another iteration of our endless stream of stupid comic book movies, or Disney, or Pixar.

Facebook, Google, Oracle, IMB, PayPal, Twitter, Yahoo, Zinga, Craig's List, Tesla, eBay, Western Digital, Gilead, Activision, Electronic Arts, etcetera to near infinity. You've taken the bite of the Apple (based in Cupertino), haven't you?

You're on Netflix (Californian co.), aren't you? They've put your local video store out of business. Where did McDonald's and Burger King and all those other fast food restaurants come from? They came from California. The corporate wasteland you have come to know and love spread to your neighborhood from California.

You've been Californicated, all of you. You probably say 'dude' and 'awesome' at 4 times the acceptable rate.

Anyway, we Californians need to get back to spying on your Facebook and Gmail accounts, so we can figure out how to sell you a lame looking internet wristwatch.

I bet we buy whole lot less since ya turned central valley back into desert .....

Well, the drought turned the Central Valley back into a desert, just a bit. There's been a high pressure ridge sitting offshore for a few years now, and it won't let any rain come onshore. So, you're correct. You are buying slightly less. But, in my experience of driving through the Valley, I still don't see a lot of abandoned fields. The rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.
The central valley is not suffering drought, you get table grapes from the central valley. Every Walmart in the usa has california grapes, not possible if we are dry.

Yet anyone can go to Walmart and buy california grapes that are fat with water, you can buy our almonds, and our lettuce.

Take a look at the grapes and lettuce in the supermarket and ask yourself, what does seaswytch know

Fuck you and your water wasting state!

You eat fresh vegetables, they come from us, don't eat grapes lettuce, or almonds.

Then you tell us to fuck off, until then we keep fucking you. Like in gay marriage.

You eat fresh vegetables, they come from us, don't eat grapes lettuce, or almonds.

Then you tell us to fuck off, until then we keep fucking you. Like in gay marriage.

Fuck you and your water wasting state. I get the majority of my fruit and veggies from south America.

Fuck you and your water wasting state. I get the majority of my fruit and veggies from south America.
Bullshit, you get some depending on the season.

Facts are facts,

Forum List

Back