CEOs earn 354 times more than average worker

Rderp, I play guitar, why should Jimmy Page make so much more money that me for doing essentially the same thing?

Rderp, I play guitar, why should Jimmy Page make so much more money that me for doing essentially the same thing?

Not the same analogy

A proper analogy would have Jimmy Page making minimum wage while the record producers make tens of millions

Please prove to me that if you reduce the pay of a CEO that everyone's pay will go up.

Executive pay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to economist Paul Krugman,

"Today the idea that huge paychecks are part of a beneficial system in which executives are given an incentive to perform well has become something of a sick joke. A 2001 article in Fortune, "The Great CEO Pay Heist" encapsulated the cynicism: You might have expected it to go like this: The stock isn't moving, so the CEO shouldn't be rewarded. But it was actually the opposite: The stock isn't moving, so we've got to find some other basis for rewarding the CEO.` And the article quoted a somewhat repentant Michael Jensen [a theorist for stock option compensation]: `I've generally worried these guys weren't getting paid enough. But now even I'm troubled.'"[

Last edited:
CEOs earn 354 times more than average worker - Apr. 15, 2013

The discrepancy in pay between CEOs and the average worker has skyrocketed over the years, peaking in 2000, when the gap was 525 times. In 1980, CEO pay was 42 times that of the average worker.

"They struggle every day to make ends meet, their wages are stagnant, their companies are trying to take away their health care and pensions, and they're angry," Trumka said. "And very few them know what's happening with CEO (pay)."
---------------------------------------

Republicans scream, "But they should keep their money. They EARNED it!" Republicans feel that if we just cut their taxes, they will "create jobs". The rest of us are shocked. Surely, no one could be so stupid. Or can they?

Your numbers are off rdean...

disparity.jpg

The solution seems obvious

We need to start outsourcing the CEOs

Then clearly Chevy is a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385525761/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=matthygles-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=0385525761"]MUCH[/ame] better car than Honda or Toyota....

At GM, CEO pay on any given year could be as much as two hundred times what an assembly-line worker would have taken home; at Toyota, it was about a tenth of that. In 2006, for example, then CEO Wagoner made more than the top twenty-one executives at Honda combined, and somewhere in the order of fifteen times the salary of his equivalent at Toyota.

The discrepancy in pay between CEOs and the average worker has skyrocketed over the years, peaking in 2000, when the gap was 525 times. In 1980, CEO pay was 42 times that of the average worker.

"They struggle every day to make ends meet, their wages are stagnant, their companies are trying to take away their health care and pensions, and they're angry," Trumka said. "And very few them know what's happening with CEO (pay)."

Republicans scream, "But they should keep their money. They EARNED it!" Republicans feel that if we just cut their taxes, they will "create jobs". The rest of us are shocked. Surely, no one could be so stupid. Or can they?

These days, instead of paying people well, the wealthy choose to loan them money instead. Hence the rise in consumer debt as the predominant form of debt as wages and salaries for middle and lower income folks stagnate.

Executive pay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to economist Paul Krugman,

"Today the idea that huge paychecks are part of a beneficial system in which executives are given an incentive to perform well has become something of a sick joke. A 2001 article in Fortune, "The Great CEO Pay Heist" encapsulated the cynicism: You might have expected it to go like this: The stock isn't moving, so the CEO shouldn't be rewarded. But it was actually the opposite: The stock isn't moving, so we've got to find some other basis for rewarding the CEO.` And the article quoted a somewhat repentant Michael Jensen [a theorist for stock option compensation]: `I've generally worried these guys weren't getting paid enough. But now even I'm troubled.'"[

Krugman? LOL

OK, I thought you guys were serious, thanks for the laugh

Progressives should move to countries where this disparity does not even exist.

Please.

Go now

Progressives should move to countries where this disparity does not even exist.

Please.

Go now

Its far more economically efficient to use taxation to correct the disparity. If the underclass move to foreign countries the wealthy will all have to mow their own lawns and they won't have time to make millions.

Then clearly Chevy is a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385525761/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=matthygles-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=0385525761"]MUCH[/ame] better car than Honda or Toyota....

At GM, CEO pay on any given year could be as much as two hundred times what an assembly-line worker would have taken home; at Toyota, it was about a tenth of that. In 2006, for example, then CEO Wagoner made more than the top twenty-one executives at Honda combined, and somewhere in the order of fifteen times the salary of his equivalent at Toyota.

You should move to Japan, where things are more equal

Oh God. Here we go again. rdean unzipped his pants and found himself lacking. Again.

rdoofus, if they were smart enough to be CEOs the 'average' worker would be higher up on the food chain. BTW, fill me in on what it's like to live off the taxpayers. I have until mid May before I know.

I'm a CEO.

I make exactly the same as every other worker in my organization.

Obviously I'm not doing something right, eh?

What in the world is wrong with you? You're not one of those 'humans', are you, with feelings and empathy for their species?

How DARE you imply that I suffer from such weakness of character?!

My workers just have me over a barrel.

They know what they're doing and they do it well, and besides, I pay them so little that if I moved my operations to China, I'd end up paying those employers more than I pay myself or my collaborators.

Forum List

Back