Choose One: University or Free Speech

Interesting study here:
  • The overall ratio of Democrats to Republicans we were able to identify at the 32 schools was more than 10 to 1 (1397 Democrats, 134 Republicans).
  • Although in the nation at large registered Democrats and Republicans are roughly equal in number, not a single department at a single one of the 32 schools managed to achieve a reasonable parity between the two. The closest any school came to parity was Northwestern University where 80% of the faculty members we identified were registered Democrats who outnumbered registered Republicans by a ratio of 4-1.
  • At other schools we found these representations of registered faculty Democrats to Republicans:

• Brown 30-1
    Bowdoin, Wellesley 23-1
    Swarthmore 21-1
    Amherst, Bates 18-1
    Columbia, Yale 14-1
    Pennsylvania, Tufts, UCLA and Berkeley 12-1
    Smith 11-1
  • At no less than four elite schools we could not identify a single Republican on the faculty:
    Williams 51 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    Oberlin 19 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    MIT 17 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    Haverford 15 Democrats, 0 Republicans

Keep bitching. :thup:
Sooo...you don't mind bias, as long as it's tilted in your favor.

Must be some of that "independent thinking" I hear so much about.

So wait Daveman, your evidence is Republicans who offer up their theories as to why they're being kept down? :rofl:

Hells bells, it's tough for Republicans to go into Academia when they have no real proof in the first place to defend such positions as why Homosexuals are evil or why Creationism trumps Evolution.

Nope. I never said that. What I'm saying is that you could care less if it was tilted exactly the other way. What I find totally amusing is that when any sort of Liberal speaks at college it's "indoctrination" but when a Conservative speaks "it's educational." Give me a break.

When one is burdened with the limited understanding of democracy, liberty, and the meaning of freedom as it applies to not only going where one wants, but thinking and saying what one wants, then your reponse might seem reasonable.

Of course, there is the possibility that an actual education might change that.

Maybe not.

Give me a break. I don't have a limited understanding of any of those things. I have a full understanding. You're the one who would be defenseless in a debate that doesn't involve the internet. You can't copy and paste someone else's words on the internet into your brain yet there PC. :thup:
One wonders why, if liberalism is so superior, it can't tolerate the presence of other ideas and must insulate and protect itself.

One wonders why, if liberalism is so superior, it can't tolerate the presence of other ideas and must insulate and protect itself.

I could say the same thing about you there Dave. :thup:

Considering your view towards Liberalism, I doubt you have ventured outside the land of the far right wing. Must be sad to be so closed minded.

So wait Daveman, your evidence is Republicans who offer up their theories as to why they're being kept down? :rofl:

Hells bells, it's tough for Republicans to go into Academia when they have no real proof in the first place to defend such positions as why Homosexuals are evil or why Creationism trumps Evolution.
And your awesome power of Independent Thinking leads you to the conclusion that ALL Republicans hold those positions?

Hmmmph. And you claim conservatives are narrow-minded. :cool:

Nope. I never said that. What I'm saying is that you could care less if it was tilted exactly the other way. What I find totally amusing is that when any sort of Liberal speaks at college it's "indoctrination" but when a Conservative speaks "it's educational." Give me a break.
Did I say that? Hint: No.

I'd like college students to be presented with a wide variety of ideas. You seem to want only liberal ideas presented.

Who's more confident that his positions will be accepted?

And your awesome power of Independent Thinking leads you to the conclusion that ALL Republicans hold those positions?

Wrong. I never said all Republicans hold these positions. I said Republicans, because the majority of Republicans do in fact hold these positions. Hence, the GOP candidate runs on those two platforms essentially every four years or less/more depending on what office you're running from.

Your downfall is thinking Conservatism = Republicanism. Wrong.

I'd like college students to be presented with a wide variety of ideas. You seem to want only liberal ideas presented.

Presented with a wide variety of ideas where? In history class? There is no "Liberal" history or "Conservative" history. There is the simple facts of history and then the two sides who try to change it to suit their view.

The fact you think I only want Liberal ideas presented makes you a moron. Though you've given no example of what "Conservative" ideas you want presented.

I could say the same thing about you there Dave. :thup:
Not credibly, you couldn't.

Considering your view towards Liberalism, I doubt you have ventured outside the land of the far right wing. Must be sad to be so closed minded.
There's something you don't know about me:

I was raised a liberal. My parents are hard-core Democrats. I grew up hearing about the "g-- damn Republicans". My Dad puts a "-bastard" after every Republican politician's name: "Reagan-bastard", "Bush-bastard". I believed all of it.

About ten years ago I found my beliefs were shifting to the right. Now, I'm further to the right than the GOP, which really isn't hard to do...it's not that conservative.

All that being said, were you ever a conservative, Bert? Or have you always been a liberal?

My point is, I know how liberals think. I used to be one.

But I got over it.

The study of history isn't limited to what happened. That is only part of it. The other questions are "why did it happen?" and "Should it have happened." As for the first question, an event happens, and the people who observe it even first hand, see it in different ways. So how can there only be one history?

I was raised a liberal. My parents are hard-core Democrats. I grew up hearing about the "g-- damn Republicans". My Dad puts a "-bastard" after every Republican politician's name: "Reagan-bastard", "Bush-bastard". I believed all of it.

About ten years ago I found my beliefs were shifting to the right. Now, I'm further to the right than the GOP, which really isn't hard to do...it's not that conservative.

All that being said, were you ever a conservative, Bert? Or have you always been a liberal?

But I got over it.

You were raised a Democrat from the sounds of it, not a Liberal. Too bad in this case the apple fell far from the tree. You would of been wise to listen to your parents on that one.

The study of history isn't limited to what happened. That is only part of it. The other questions are "why did it happen?" and "Should it have happened." As for the first question, an event happens, and the people who observe it even first hand, see it in different ways. So how can there only be one history?

People see it different ways, that's a part of history. It's what we call different eyewitness accounts. I'm talking about the events themselves.

For example: The U.S dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan. Now, some people may of thought that was a great idea for multiple reasons, another side may think it's a horrible idea. However, what cannot be disputed is we dropped two nuclear bombs.

That's what I'm getting at.

Wrong. I never said all Republicans hold these positions. I said Republicans, because the majority of Republicans do in fact hold these positions. Hence, the GOP candidate runs on those two platforms essentially every four years or less/more depending on what office you're running from.

Your downfall is thinking Conservatism = Republicanism. Wrong.
You're hardly qualified to tell me what I think, when you rely on conservative stereotypes to do your thinking for you. :lol:

People see it different ways, that's a part of history. It's what we call different eyewitness accounts. I'm talking about the events themselves.

For example: The U.S dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan. Now, some people may of thought that was a great idea for multiple reasons, another side may think it's a horrible idea. However, what cannot be disputed is we dropped two nuclear bombs.

That's what I'm getting at.

Hiroshima was a military target.
Hiroshima was a civilian target.

The Berlin Blockade was a defensive measure carried out by Stalin.

Hiroshima was a military target.
Hiroshima was a civilian target.

And that's where people differ. Historians have to try and look at the facts of the time, what was going on there, etc and come to a conclusion in a non-partisan manner. It may not always work out that way, but that's how it suppose to be. Historians may even come to different conclusions because both sides might have a valid point. The world isn't black and grey, which is what I'm trying to get at, especially when it comes to history.

Presented with a wide variety of ideas where? In history class? There is no "Liberal" history or "Conservative" history. There is the simple facts of history and then the two sides who try to change it to suit their view.
Have you been to college?
The fact you think I only want Liberal ideas presented makes you a moron.
Given your examples of Republican views, yes, I think you do only want liberal ideas presented.

Besides, what you want is immaterial. What matters is what the liberals running academia want presented, and those are liberal ideas only.
Though you've given no example of what "Conservative" ideas you want presented.
Accurate views of history would be refreshing.

But I got over it.

You were raised a Democrat from the sounds of it, not a Liberal. Too bad in this case the apple fell far from the tree. You would of been wise to listen to your parents on that one.
:lol: Opposing ideas sure do scare you, don't they?

Forum List

Back