Christian Altruism is not true altruism

Aristotle

Sep 9, 2012
In fact any faith where followers perceive good works to attain God's favor is not altruistic. A good and obvious example are evangelical christians who go out to "save the people from eternal torment." Although mentally, Christians are compelled due to the teachings of the NT, they are nonetheless compelled not of themselves, but by another. Which leads me to think altruism whether religious or otherwise, may not exist.

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGXgjfOWTc]Batman Begins - It's not who I am underneath... - YouTube[/ame]

In fact any faith where followers perceive good works to attain God's favor is not altruistic. A good and obvious example are evangelical christians who go out to "save the people from eternal torment." Although mentally, Christians are compelled due to the teachings of the NT, they are nonetheless compelled not of themselves, but by another. Which leads me to think altruism whether religious or otherwise, may not exist.

But, believers don't do good works to attain God's favor, not if they understand what they profess to believe. Good works flow naturally from hearts filled with love for their neighbors. And, that kind of love (Agape in the Greek) is a result of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, which is the only evidence of true salvation.

Merriam-Webster defines altruism as: "unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others."

So...as you can see, true altruism does exist IF that love for your fellow man is genuine and not feigned.

TRUE altruism is basically enlightened self interest.

You do not need to believe in GOD to be altruistic.

You just need to be somewhat empathic and recognize that your fate and that of your neighbors are somewhat intertwined.

But, believers don't do good works to attain God's favor, not if they understand what they profess to believe. Good works flow naturally from hearts filled with love for their neighbors. And, that kind of love (Agape in the Greek) is a result of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, which is the only evidence of true salvation.

Merriam-Webster defines altruism as: "unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others."

So...as you can see, true altruism does exist IF that love for your fellow man is genuine and not feigned.

Wow! Very well said, Oldguy! I personally prefer the word, Compassion.

Or 'caritas' - which doesn't really mean 'charity', but 'showing one's love for GOD and dedication to Him by seeking to do good for other people'. Which many faiths practice: Buddhism is noted for extending that 'caritas' to animals as well.

I DO agree that 'kindness' with an ulterior motive of trying to advance oneself in some way is utterly reprehensible.

One of the best expositions of this concept comes from the Sufi saint, Rabia al-Basri Rabia al-Basri | Sufi Poetry

If I Adore You

If I adore You out of fear of Hell,
Burn me in Hell!
If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,
Lock me out of Paradise.
But if I adore you for Yourself alone,
Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.

This concept is not limited to religion alone, for in at least two organizations in which I participate - if it is suspected that someone is 'hoping' to be accorded an honor, they obviously have the wrong mind-set to ever be cited as an example of the organization's asprations.

The sort of situation I think Aristotle is addressing is a 'TV-preacher' idea that a Christian can obtain a 'better seat' in Heaven by proselytizing ......

I am not now, nor ever was, nor ever expect to be a Christian - but I'm pretty sure that idea has got to be heretical and derive from an overly-literal interpretation of some Christian Scripture.

This is true. On the other hand why do most believers seem to think that is only true for believers.

Or 'caritas' - which doesn't really mean 'charity', but 'showing one's love for GOD and dedication to Him by seeking to do good for other people'. Which many faiths practice: Buddhism is noted for extending that 'caritas' to animals as well.

I DO agree that 'kindness' with an ulterior motive of trying to advance oneself in some way is utterly reprehensible.

One of the best expositions of this concept comes from the Sufi saint, Rabia al-Basri Rabia al-Basri | Sufi Poetry

If I Adore You

If I adore You out of fear of Hell,
Burn me in Hell!
If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,
Lock me out of Paradise.
But if I adore you for Yourself alone,
Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.

This concept is not limited to religion alone, for in at least two organizations in which I participate - if it is suspected that someone is 'hoping' to be accorded an honor, they obviously have the wrong mind-set to ever be cited as an example of the organization's asprations.

It never ceases to amaze me how close the sufis sound to the old mystics. The resemblance is unmistakable. The Sufi branch of Islam is definitely the mystical branch. It has to be.

Beautiful writings. Thanks!

This is true. On the other hand why do most believers seem to think that is only true for believers.

Seem to think what is true only for believers? All of what I said, or the part about love?

Forum List

Back