Christian Minister Arrested for Stating Homosexuality is a Sin

If it wasn't for the Church, Copernicus would never have published:

"On 1 November 1536, Cardinal Nikolaus von Schönberg, Archbishop of Capua, wrote to Copernicus from Rome:
Some years ago word reached me concerning your proficiency, of which everybody constantly spoke. At that time I began to have a very high regard for you... For I had learned that you had not merely mastered the discoveries of the ancient astronomers uncommonly well but had also formulated a new cosmology. In it you maintain that the earth moves; that the sun occupies the lowest, and thus the central, place in the universe... Therefore with the utmost earnestness I entreat you, most learned sir, unless I inconvenience you, to communicate this discovery of yours to scholars, and at the earliest possible moment to send me your writings on the sphere of the universe together with the tables and whatever else you have that is relevant to this subject
"

Nicolaus Copernicus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank goodness we have religious scholars willing to risk state condemnation..or we'd still be living in caves.

Who gives a shit to what you have to say allie..fucking hypocritical retard.

Silly, that wasn't me. That was wiki.

So you don't care about the fact that the church encouraged Copernicus in his studies, urged him to publish, according to wiki?

Sort of blows a hole in the theory that they were out there suppressing science and inhibiting scientific and mathematical masterminds!

Never mind, that's too much for pballs. He's going to be picking up pieces of his exploded brain for days. PBALLS..STOP READING NOW! Save yourself now, while there's still time!

[

How about keeping your bronze age stupidity to yourselves?

How about you actually humble yourself for a change and try to learn something instead of acting like a self righteous know it all who has no clue about anything in the world around himself?

Sorry, man, the Bible lost me when God gave everyone free will, and then killed most of them (including the babies) when they made choices He didn't like.

I thought that was pretty retarded when I was in grade school. It's still pretty retarded now.

"...But the point is, Religion contributed to the decline of Western Civilization..."
How so? By bringing some measure of gentleness and egalitarianism to a Slave Society that had already long-since begun to rot from within? By ameliorating the worst excesses of pagan and newly-converted barbarian tribes that pressed upon the Empire because they were being pressed in-turn by Huns et al? I disagree with that particular and widespread opinion.

You see, I don't buy that. The Romans, bless their little hearts, were a dictatorship, but they still called their form of government a "Republic" and they still worked under the concept of a constitution. There was representative government. Myths about throwing Christians to LIons (Never happened) aside, they were a pretty tolerant bunch religously.

Then along came Christianity, which advocated outright Monarchy, and went about killing not only pagans, but other Christians if they believed such radical things like, "Maybe Jesus didn't exist before he was born." (Look up Arian Heresy.)

And they frequently upheld these opprssions using frauds like the Donation of Constantine and the Shroud of Turin.

[
"...Let us not forget, they banned Copernicus, made Galileo recant his discoveries, and burned Giodani Bruno at the stake. For saying the Earth went around the sun. BLASPHEMER!!!!"

Nolo contendre. No contest.

BUT...

These were, once again, the acts and policies of mortal, fallible men, wrongly 'spinning' the core teachings of the Founder of their Faith, in a lame and transparent attempt to justify and rationalize their actions, which had no bearing whatsoever upon the Core Mission of Religion - the pastoral care of the Spirit of Man.

And, of course, we are talking about the Death Throes of the Medieval Church and its immediate successors and spin-offs, trying to hold onto its thousand-year-old role as Primary Educator and Governor, when the Mind of Man was growing strong once again and causing the Church to outlive its usefulness in such roles.

Once the Mind of Man had firmly put Religion back in its original place (pastoral care of the Spirit of Man) - once that painful closing chapter in the history of Religion was behind us - Religion was freed, once again, to concentrate primarily upon Pastoral Duties.

I make no pretence that one cannot - STILL - centuries later - find vestigial traces of the old Primary Educator and Governor mentality present within the framework of Organized Religion, but that's why God invented Separation of Church and State - to keep 'em in their place without harming them - in recognition of their value as Spiritual Caregivers and in honor of their former excellent service in those old roles, before they became obsolete and set off to the side in those roles.

But this is quickly morphing into something off-topic, and probably belongs on some Religion sub-board or another.

Still... it was fun... thanks for the time.

Thank you. You make some interesting points, points I might have made 10 years ago but would never make now.

If it wasn't for the Church, Copernicus would never have published:

"On 1 November 1536,

Thank goodness we have religious scholars willing to risk state condemnation..or we'd still be living in caves.

And the minute someone realized that Copernicus disproved the Bible, they put his book on "banned" list.

Nicolaus Copernicus

De revolutionibus was not put on the list of forbidden books for decades, partly because the printer added a disclaimer to the work—"For these hypotheses need not be true nor even probable," stated the writer, Andreas Osiander, in the unauthorized preface, but merely a handy way to predict the movements of the planets. "Let nobody expect anything certain from astronomy, which cannot furnish it, least he accept as the truth ideas conceived for another purpose, and depart from this study a greater fool than when he entered it." In 1616 the church declared Copernicus' theory "false and altogether opposed to Holy Scripture", and it took more than two hundred years before the works of Copernicus and of Galileo were removed from the Index. However, the church needed Copernicus' calculations to date Easter more precisely.

And I guess you don't know what "immediately" means, either:

"A second edition was printed in 1563. The Roman church banned Copernicus' book eventually in 1616. "

Yeah, they *immediately* banned it 60 years later.

Moron.

Lol...it gets better. Good old academia...fighting hard against education and enlightenment:

"The on-going reaction against Copernicus was also carried on primarly by the Protestants, especially in those parts of Europe under Protestant control. For example, the Ptolemaic system was taught at Harvard during its early days, as opposed to the godless 'romish' system of Copernicus (they didn't approve of his astronomy or his Roman Catholicism)." His book was banned because of his religion.

Essay Notes: The Theological Response to Copernicus

"Feeding Christians to the lions was seen as entertainment in Ancient Rome."

I think that's a fifth grade site. It should suffice for you.

Rome and Christianity

Well, yeah, I'm sure that's what Funditards tell their fifth graders.

Actual research by historians?

?The Myth of Persecution?: Early Christians weren?t persecuted - Salon.com

Moss also examines surviving Roman records. She notes that during the only concerted anti-Christian Roman campaign, under the emperor Diocletian between 303 and 306, Christians were expelled from public offices. Their churches, such as the one in Nicomedia, across the street from the imperial palace, were destroyed. Yet, as Moss points out, if the Christians were holding high offices in the first place and had built their church “in the emperor’s own front yard,” they could hardly have been in hiding away in catacombs before Diocletian issued his edicts against them.

"A second edition was printed in 1563. The Roman church banned Copernicus' book eventually in 1616. "

Moron.

Well, it took those Tards 60 years to figure out old Nick just deproved their book of Fairy Tales.

Moron.

"Immediately" in those times was around 40 to 60 years.

"Immediately" in the present means it happens quickly. They didn't have YouTube back then, nor did they have Facebook.

Sorry......................but the "flat Earth society" was born in the church, and they decided to keep the lie going.

I mean....................shit............................the Greeks figured out the Earth was round a long time before Rome.

It's because of the heliocentric model that the church decided to keep the myth going. After all, it made them a lot of money in donations.

Kinda the same reason that churches keep going on today........................

Yeah. "Immediate" means something different now.

Ps. You're a moron.

Why do you think focusing on one adjective makes an argument for you.

Copernicus made a great scientific discovery.

The Church realized it contradicted their holy book. They put Galileo in front of the inquisition and made him recant. They burned Bruno at the stake.

This is religion. Anything that disagrees with our worldview must be eliminated, even if it's true.

Forum List

Back