Christian Theology.

Jesus came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel, as he told the Syrophoenician woman. He came into the world to save his people from their sins (Mt 1:21). That doesn't include foreigners. Foreigners were not of the Law; salvation from the Law was not for them.

But then proselytes joined the ranks of the saints. According to Luke, proselytes first converted to Judaism, but ultimately, these former non-Jews were Christianized (Acts 13:43). Luke also records a conversion of pagans in Ephesus to Christianity at such a rate that artisans bemoaned diminished incomes because they were receiving fewer orders for shrines to pagan idols (Acts 19:23-28). Former pagans populated the Corinthian church as well (1 Cor 12:2).

Whatever attributes of Judaism some may attach to the Ethiopian eunuch or the Roman centurion or the Gentiles or the Hellenists or whomsoever else they might wish to associate with the Abrahamic tradition, they cannot sidestep the fact that proselyte and pagan converts were non-Jews in their former lives. Clearly, non-Jews were welcomed in the movement. The law was no longer a law of works but of faith (Rom 3:27-28).

And although the world may have been the stable part of the universe in those days, resting on pillars and over which the sun, moon, and stars hovered, the gospel was preached in all that world nonetheless in the first century. And then beyond as the world grew. In Daniel’s pre-first-century vision, the kingdom was called a stone that after the first century became a great mountain and filled the earth.

Who knows where the Aztecs and the Chinese were at the resurrection? We know they weren't subject to the Law, though, and we don't know that they would have rejected Israel's Messiah.

And there’s a contradiction in terms.

Protestants believe it’s a representation of the body and blood of Christ.

To Catholics, it actually is the body and blood of Christ.

Am I right?
Yes, you are correct.

Jesus, not surprising, believed in the power of words, especially his word. Jesus said, "This is my body...This is my blood." He lost a great many disciples when he said this. Jesus simply watched them leave before turning to his Apostles and saying, "Will you leave me as well?"

One would have thought Jesus would have called after those leaving, "Wait! Wait! I was only speaking symbolically, in allegory!" But he did not. Those who left noted it was a hard teaching, and who could accept it.

Catholics remember this. Protestants focus on Jesus saying, "Do this in memory of me." They still embrace this latter comment of Jesus, but not any of the former. It is also interesting that when Protestants broke away from the Church and the Eucharist, they also broke away from another set of words Jesus thought vital. These are the words spoken in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, where people actually hear, "Your sins are forgiven."

No one can blame Protestants for thinking they know their sins are forgiven, so why go and hear the words?

Words were essential to Jesus, and they remain essential to Catholics. You might say Protestants just found a few shortcuts. :)

You can thank Henry Vlll and Martin Luther for that.
Another topic for another day.

Christian Theology -- Theism

Christian theology affirms theism, the belief in the existence of a supernatural God. Christian theism rests primarily on two solid foundations: special revelation (the Bible) and general revelation (the created order). While the Bible reveals the character and personality of God page after page, the “whole workmanship of the universe,” according to John Calvin, reveals and discloses God day after day. The Psalmist says, “The heavens declare the glory of God” (Psalm 19).

Christian Theology – Grounded in Jesus Christ

Christian theology points to what Christians believe—that a personal God has revealed Himself through a created world, and that He has a plan and ultimate destiny for that world. Christian theology is ultimately Christ-centered. The God who “so loved the world that He gave His only Son” has allowed for a personal relationship between Himself and fallen humanity.

Christian Theology
And, it's a theology with no solid foundation, i.e., no proof exists of a "God." Until they offer science based proof, they are just living in la la land.

And, it's a theology with no solid foundation, i.e., no proof exists of a "God." Until they offer science based proof, they are just living in la la land.
God does not exist in physical form, just as water does not exist in the average rock. Are you ever asked to prove water by squeezing a rock?

Theology is broadly defined as matters of God or religious belief, but I for one would say that it's just matters of God, or Theos, and so therefore is impossible to comprehend.

More manageable in Christian "theology" is eschatology, or matters of last things, and soteriology, or matters of the resurrection.

The entire New Testament is the kingdom of God, essentially, or eschatology. That is the central message of Christianity. Once we understand eschatology, then soteriology becomes our focus, but theology is a wild goose chase since we can not fully understand the infinite.
the only part of the New Testament that has to do with God is that which tells the story of Jesus, his life, his teachings. The rest of the New Testament is man-made. there are people who think that Saul/Paul or Timothy or the writer of Revelations (John of Patmos?) have something to do with the Creator.

-----
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
-----

-----

Thank you for sharing. All of us walk in the spirit. Tolkien taught us how. Not some pope or priest or rabbi or monk.

Good grief. Tolkien ... What has this what I think and feel to do with with Tolkien? ... Nearly nothing, I would say. ... Many pictures around Tolkien are nice pictures from my own culture - that's all. And in general I have a very high respect for priests and rabbis. I love monks and nuns. And the holy father is a wonderful man.

Last edited:
Theology is broadly defined as matters of God or religious belief, but I for one would say that it's just matters of God, or Theos, and so therefore is impossible to comprehend.

More manageable in Christian "theology" is eschatology, or matters of last things, and soteriology, or matters of the resurrection.

The entire New Testament is the kingdom of God, essentially, or eschatology. That is the central message of Christianity. Once we understand eschatology, then soteriology becomes our focus, but theology is a wild goose chase since we can not fully understand the infinite.
the only part of the New Testament that has to do with God is that which tells the story of Jesus, his life, his teachings. The rest of the New Testament is man-made. there are people who think that Saul/Paul or Timothy or the writer of Revelations (John of Patmos?) have something to do with the Creator.

-----
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
-----

-----

Thank you for sharing. All of us walk in the spirit. Tolkien taught us how. Not some pope or priest or rabbi or monk.

Good grief. Tolkien ... What has this what I think and feel to do with with Tolkien? ... Nearly nothing, I would say. ... Many pictures around Tolkien are nice pictures from my own culture - that's all. And in general I have a very high respect for priests and rabbis. I love monks and nuns. And the holy father is a wonderful man.

I used to respect the religious. I don't know who to respect any more. Ratzinger was pope, then we have people like frankie graham and jeffress and perkins, who decorate themselves with religious gear.

Christian theology affirms theism, the belief in the existence of a supernatural God. Christian theism rests primarily on two solid foundations: special revelation (the Bible) and general revelation (the created order). While the Bible reveals the character and personality of God page after page, the “whole workmanship of the universe,” according to John Calvin, reveals and discloses God day after day. The Psalmist says, “The heavens declare the glory of God” (Psalm 19).

Christian theology points to what Christians believe—that a personal God has revealed Himself through a created world, and that He has a plan and ultimate destiny for that world. Christian theology is ultimately Christ-centered. The God who “so loved the world that He gave His only Son” has allowed for a personal relationship between Himself and fallen humanity.

Christian Theology

Humans rely on encounters to get to a truth, especially one happened historically. This is analogue to a car incident. The news is ultimately from eyewitness accounts gathered by a reporter as the author. However this is not good enough, a theory must be formed from an expert of mechanics in explaining how the car can possibly run into this car incident.

Similarly, the eyewitness accounts are ultimately from the disciples, they and those close to them authored the testimonies on Jesus' deeds and speeches. Out of the 4 gospels perhaps only John can bring his testimony to a theological level. This is natural as he is the one left with others martyred themselves to stand witness for what they have seen with their own eyes. Paul thus becomes the "export of mechanics" to provide a behind the scene explanation on Jesus' coming with the New Covenant to a theological level. This is also natural as Paul is the only apostle who is a Pharisee professed in Jewish laws and covenants. All left is for today's Christians to follow the same steps of the apostles to convey the truth of this New Covenant. In my opinion, that's what theology is in Christianity.

Last edited:

Christian Theology

Humans rely on encounters to get to a truth, especially one happened historically. This is analogue to a car incident. The news is ultimately from eyewitness accounts gathered by a reporter as the author. However this is not good enough, a theory must be formed from an expert of mechanics in explaining how the car can possibly run into this car incident.

Similarly, the eyewitness accounts are ultimately from the disciples, they and those close to them authored the testimonies on Jesus' deeds and speeches. Out of the 4 gospels perhaps only John can bring his testimony to a theological level. This is natural as he is the one left with others martyred themselves to stand witness for what they have seen with their own eyes. Paul thus becomes the "export of mechanics" to provide a behind the scene explanation on Jesus' coming with the New Covenant to a theological level. This is also natural as Paul is the only apostle who is a Pharisee professed in Jewish laws and covenants. All left is for today's Christians to follow the same steps of the apostles to convey the truth of this New Covenant. In my opinion, that's what theology is in Christianity.
I have a problem with Paul. He never met Jesus. He should not be ranked as an apostle.

Christian Theology

I have a problem with Paul. He never met Jesus. He should not be ranked as an apostle.

Prophets are eyewitness of God. You can't possibly know how they met with God. Paul met with Jesus just like any other OT prophets meeting with God. In effect, he's a prophet but given the ranking of apostle (eyewitnesses of God and Jesus Christ for the crafting of NT).

To explain a bit further. Why God's eyewitnesses are called the prophets?

There are two things humans cannot do, 1) to tell a future, and 2) to break our physics law governing the universe. That's why the invisible God comes with prophecies and miracles as the most convenient way to communicate with human witnesses. Not only so, God authenticates the eyewitnesses by speaking prophecies and performing miracles through their mouth and hands.

Acts 14:3 (NIV2011)
So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

Last edited:

Christian Theology

Paul met Jesus on the road to Damascus. The RISEN Lord spoke to him and Paul's ministry began.

Acts 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.​

9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

“so loved the world that He gave His only Son”

and his son was to preach and save the Hebrews only, and God so loved the world he drowned everyone. I can go on how lovely God is, but its so depressing.

Hebrews 'first', not 'only'. Woman at the well, was no a Hebrew. The woman whose daughter was afflicted with an evil spirit, was not Hebrew. There were more than a couple times were Jesus helped non-hebrews.

That is not to say they he didn't prioritize the G-d's chosen people.

There is nothing wrong with that, anymore than you would feed your own children first, before giving food to a needy family with children.

As far wiping out the people with a flood... again, the Bible says the world was filled with violence and evil. It was justified punishment. G-d has the right to punish evil. In fact, if G-d did not punish evil, he would not be good.

If your daughter was raped and murdered, and the judge over the court let the man who did it off free... don't tell me that you would be happy about. Nor tell me that if the man who did it was given justified punishment, that you would be depressed.

Same thing with G-d. G-d must punish evil, because he is the very nature of all that is good. Every punishment levied by G-d in history, and those punishments of today, are all completely and totally justified and good.

I don't know about you, but it makes me very happy to realize that evil will be punished. Think about all the sex-trafficked girls we have in this country, right now. Many of these evil people, will never be caught, never be brought to justice, because the public is more worried how racist it is to stop illegal immigration.

It makes me happy to know all of those evil people will be punished, and those who are complicit will also be punished. No one who supports or engages in evil, will escape the wrath of G-d... specifically because G-d is good.

Equally G-d will also show mercy to any who turn away from their evil. Again... because G-d is good in every way.

I have a different take on the OT, God is evil. What would you call Moses??
You must be a jew, because people who don't spell God are jews.

People who think God is talking to them are confused, its their voice talking to them.

You have a right to your opinion of course.

Moses was a prophet.

If G-d is evil, why did he save the righteous? Why did he save Lot from Sodom? Why did he save Noah from the flood? Why did he save the Israelites from Egypt? The list goes on and on.

Honestly, if G-d is evil, then none of this existence we have today, makes any sense.

Now I'm going to guess at what you really want to claim. If I'm wrong, that's fine I'm wrong.

But when you say "G-d is evil", what you really are trying to claim is that there is no god.

Here's the problem with that claim... If there is no god at all, then how can you claim the G-d of the Bible is evil? On what basis? Killing people is wrong? According to whom? Nature? Have you looked at nature? Animals in nature kill each other constantly. There is no moral law in nature.

So based on what, do you claim G-d is evil? You have no basis for that. G-d must exist, or you would have no morals. If we are just animals, you have no right to claim that for example, that something is unfair about wealthy people owning most of the wealth.

The bigger lion will kill or drive off competing lions, take all the females for himself, and control the entire hunting grounds. That's normal in animal kingdoms.

So on what basis do you claim one man owning everything is bad? Because of morals based on what?

G-d does exist, and he isn't evil, or we wouldn't be here. Why would he send his Prophets to preach repentance, and most be killed as martyrs if he is evil? Why didn't he just not warn anyone to stop evil, and do good, if god was evil and wanted to harm them anyway?

No, G-d is good, All the time. All the time, G-d is good.

Christian Theology
Science can't prove anything. Get a grip!!

Greg

Hermann Bondi declared that “There is no more to science than its method, and there is no more to its method than Popper has said.”

Yep.

Greg

Science is the study of nature so as to be able to discover the order within nature so as to be able to make predictions of nature.

God approves this message. God loves science. He created it!!!!

I’d like to hear more about the essential doctrines of Christianity. Before I go to google.
I think the 'vital bit" is something you don't hear much of and I forget where it's from exactly but it IS something I find most important in my own faith: "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us".............I really don't concern myself with a lot of other stuff; that is the core.

Greg

Forum List

Back