Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

The insurance companies seem to think they do and their bean counters are probably better at it than you

Smoking contributes to a myriad number of illnesses, such as heart disease and stroke, as well as lung diseases. It weakens your immune system. It makes you look older, damages your skin and teeth, lowers your quality of life, and leads to a painful and expensive early death.

No way does the extra bit a smoker pays on his/her premium cover all the problems of smoking, much less the problems caused by second hand smoke.

You smoke? You lose. It's your problem, your choice: don't force others to pay for it.

So should we do the same thing for fatty foods too........say your bacon in the morning? How about sausage too? Maybe a 100% tax on ice cream and milk shakes. You do realize butter is no good for you either, don't you? In fact, anything that doctors claim cause your arteries to plug up, that should be taxed as high as cigarettes which is around 150% of the cost.

More than 4 points on your drivers license, you should have to pay an auto tax. Do you realize how many thousands of people die every year in auto accidents because of bad drivers; how many people end up disabled for the rest of their lives or spend weeks in the hospital recovering?

So if you're not a good driver, eat unhealthy foods, it's your problem, your choice. Don't force others to pay for it.
The difference is that nicotine is an addictive drug. It should be outlawed, completely outlawed.

People who are bad drivers and get in lots of accidents pay extremely high auto insurance.

There has be a lot of talk about raising taxes on junk food. I would support that.

As far as butter or bacon--those items are not addictive and are mainstays of many Western diets. If the government thought it was a good idea to tax them as they are unhealthy, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

So is alcohol

And fat is not bad in itself in fact humans need fat in their diet

And it's none of your business what another person eats or drinks of shoots into his arm

Whose business is it when people OD on herion, drink themselves into an alcoholic stupor or eat till they are so obese their heart gives out.

Other than the family members, maybe friends, are there any others who might should be concerned about destructive lifestyle choices.

Or is it all good with you?

I don't care if anyone eats smokes or drinks themselves to death their lives are theirs not mine and I have no right to tell them what to do with their lives

Smoking contributes to a myriad number of illnesses, such as heart disease and stroke, as well as lung diseases. It weakens your immune system. It makes you look older, damages your skin and teeth, lowers your quality of life, and leads to a painful and expensive early death.

No way does the extra bit a smoker pays on his/her premium cover all the problems of smoking, much less the problems caused by second hand smoke.

You smoke? You lose. It's your problem, your choice: don't force others to pay for it.

So should we do the same thing for fatty foods too........say your bacon in the morning? How about sausage too? Maybe a 100% tax on ice cream and milk shakes. You do realize butter is no good for you either, don't you? In fact, anything that doctors claim cause your arteries to plug up, that should be taxed as high as cigarettes which is around 150% of the cost.

More than 4 points on your drivers license, you should have to pay an auto tax. Do you realize how many thousands of people die every year in auto accidents because of bad drivers; how many people end up disabled for the rest of their lives or spend weeks in the hospital recovering?

So if you're not a good driver, eat unhealthy foods, it's your problem, your choice. Don't force others to pay for it.
The difference is that nicotine is an addictive drug. It should be outlawed, completely outlawed.

People who are bad drivers and get in lots of accidents pay extremely high auto insurance.

There has be a lot of talk about raising taxes on junk food. I would support that.

As far as butter or bacon--those items are not addictive and are mainstays of many Western diets. If the government thought it was a good idea to tax them as they are unhealthy, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

So is alcohol

And it's none of your business what another person eats or drinks of shoots into his arm

Whose business is it when people OD on herion, drink themselves into an alcoholic stupor or eat till they are so obese their heart gives out.

Other than the family members, maybe friends, are there any others who might should be concerned about destructive lifestyle choices.

I don't care if anyone eats smokes or drinks themselves to death their lives are theirs not mine and I have no right to tell them what to do with their lives

Everyone understands that YOU dont give a flying fuck how someone destroys their life. And if you are destroying yours, I couldnt care less.

But there are lots of people who are destroying their lives because of addiction. They started out choosing to use whatever they are addicted to, without understanding the destructive nature of addictions.

So you dont care. How nice. But family members do, friends do and the question is;
who else should worry about the destructive effects of addiction besides family and friends?

YOU really dont know much about addiction do ya?

Have you ever met a tax you didn't like??

Greg
I lived and worked in Austria for 4 years. Forty percent of my paycheck went to taxes. I had no problem with that because I got health care, inexpensive (as well as extensive, safe and efficient) local and national public transportation, safety, an excellent infrastructure, a good education system, a sane and safe society, and many other things. My taxes went to an incredibly safe, sane, healthy, calm living situation. I had no resentment at all in paying those taxes. The streets were clean and well maintained. Art, literature, music, parks, recreation, etc. all in abundance. Fantastic lifestyle. No resentment whatsoever in paying high taxes to have such a life.

How were the Kangaroos?

She said Austria not Australia

You don't read too well do you?

Sorry, but it is the only Austria joke I know

So is alcohol

Everyone understands that YOU dont give a flying fuck how someone destroys their life. And if you are destroying yours, I couldnt care less.

But there are lots of people who are destroying their lives because of addiction. They started out choosing to use whatever they are addicted to, without understanding the destructive nature of addictions.

So you dont care. How nice. But family members do, friends do and the question is;
who else should worry about the destructive effects of addiction besides family and friends?

Addiction is ultimately a choice

There are countless opportunities for anyone to enter a rehab program if they so desire.
If someone's family wants to intervene in a family member's life that's fine

But you as a stranger Joe Schmoe have no business interfering in the lives of people you don't know

BTW I live a pretty healthy lifestyle because I choose to

So is alcohol

If they smoke themselves to death or drink themselves to death, the rest of us pay for it with higher health care costs.

Because your smoking will result in smoking related illnesses that the health care system has to pay for, making health care more expensive for everyone.
If he has health insurance which he is now required by law to have then he is paying higher premiums because he smokes

As do all smokers

So your point is moot
Those higher rates do not cover all the extra costs for smoke related illness and for second hand smoke related illness.

The insurance companies seem to think they do and their bean counters are probably better at it than you

You have to prove that. Insurance companies have been collecting actuarial data for hundreds of years and in most cases they always win out on the numbers they base their premiums on

and BTW I don't smoke never did never will I just don't think I have the right to tell other people how to live their lives
So you believe cocaine, pot, and all other recreational drugs should be legal because you don't want to tell anyone how to live their lives? You're infavor of legal prostitution? You support the homosexual lifestyle and gay marriage because you don't want to tell others how to live their lives? Right?

So is alcohol

There are countless opportunities for anyone to enter a rehab program if they so desire.

But you as a stranger Joe Schmoe have no business interfering in the lives of people you don't know

I got to that first sentence where you stated addiction is a choice and realized that you are to stupid to communicate with.

Addiction destroys lives and YOU think people choose to destroy their lives and negatively effect the lives of others.

Amazingly stupid thought on your part.

So is alcohol

If they smoke themselves to death or drink themselves to death, the rest of us pay for it with higher health care costs.

No their own insurance pays for it

We all have to have insurance now don't you know?

So is alcohol

I got to that first sentence where you stated addiction is a choice and realized that you are to stupid to communicate with.

Addiction destroys lives and YOU think people choose to destroy their lives and negatively effect the lives of others.

People are amazingly selfish so yes they can absolutely choose to destroy their own lives and not give a shit who they hurt in the process

So is alcohol

Addiction Is a Choice | Psychiatric Times

Scientifically, the contention that addiction is a disease is empirically unsupported. Addiction is a behavior and thus clearly intended by the individual person. What is obvious to common sense has been corroborated by pertinent research for years (Table 1).

The person we call an addict always monitors their rate of consumption in relation to relevant circumstances. For example, even in the most desperate, chronic cases, alcoholics never drink all the alcohol they can. They plan ahead, carefully nursing themselves back from the last drinking binge while deliberately preparing for the next one. This is not to say that their conduct is wise, simply that they are in control of what they are doing. Not only is there no evidence that they cannot moderate their drinking, there is clear evidence that they do so, rationally responding to incentives devised by hospital researchers. Again, the evidence supporting this assertion has been known in the scientific community for years (Table 2).

- See more at: Addiction Is a Choice | Psychiatric Times

If he has health insurance which he is now required by law to have then he is paying higher premiums because he smokes

As do all smokers

So your point is moot
Those higher rates do not cover all the extra costs for smoke related illness and for second hand smoke related illness.

You have to prove that. Insurance companies have been collecting actuarial data for hundreds of years and in most cases they always win out on the numbers they base their premiums on

and BTW I don't smoke never did never will I just don't think I have the right to tell other people how to live their lives
So you believe cocaine, pot, and all other recreational drugs should be legal because you don't want to tell anyone how to live their lives? You're infavor of legal prostitution? You support the homosexual lifestyle and gay marriage because you don't want to tell others how to live their lives? Right?

Yes I do think drugs should be legal. Other countries have done it and have actually seen a decrease in the use of hard drugs they saved substantial amounts of money by not policing people's behaviors and some of the money saved was put towards making rehab more available to people

And I don't care who a person loves as far as marriage goes, marriage is nothing but a property contract in the eyes of the law so any and all citizens should be able to enter such a contract

As well, most of the people complaining about it are smokers. I used to smoke, but wanted to quit. When the price of cigarettes increased so much, that helped because I didn't want to pay that much for them. I think the high price of cigarettes is a great thing. It helps a lot of people to stop smoking.

I still smoke and I say it sucks!! Much worse here than in the US. Now I am glad that it assisted you but why slug me because you were price sensitive??

Greg
Because your smoking will result in smoking related illnesses that the health care system has to pay for, making health care more expensive for everyone.

As do all smokers

So your point is moot

This is true. The insurance companies are not in the business of giving you more services than are paid for, nor are they in the business of shaving their profit margins any closer than they have to.

I still smoke and I say it sucks!! Much worse here than in the US. Now I am glad that it assisted you but why slug me because you were price sensitive??

Greg

As do all smokers

So your point is moot

On the other hand, if you want to make any life choices leftists approve of, they'll be happy to make others pay for those.

As do all smokers

So your point is moot

Interesting. Bad drivers pay high auto insurance premiums, and that covers it. But smokers pay high health insurance premiums, and that's not enough.

So are auto insurance actuarial experts geniuses, and health insurance actuarial experts morons, or what?

I don't doubt you're in favor of all sorts of new taxes. I would be surprised if you had ever heard a tax proposal you didn't immediately embrace like a long-lost friend.

seems a little arbitrary dont it

Nope. In military service, the tendency of 18-year-old men to be reckless is a desirable trait. In the rest of life, not so much.

Reckless?? Not at all. That is indeed a myth. A reckless soldier is a danger to his own.

Greg

I didn't mean reckless in that sense. I was thinking more in terms of "You men storm that beach", and then they actually do it. You tell a bunch of people in their forties to storm that beach, and they're going to tell you you're insane.

Greg
I lived and worked in Austria for 4 years. Forty percent of my paycheck went to taxes. I had no problem with that because I got health care, inexpensive (as well as extensive, safe and efficient) local and national public transportation, safety, an excellent infrastructure, a good education system, a sane and safe society, and many other things. My taxes went to an incredibly safe, sane, healthy, calm living situation. I had no resentment at all in paying those taxes. The streets were clean and well maintained. Art, literature, music, parks, recreation, etc. all in abundance. Fantastic lifestyle. No resentment whatsoever in paying high taxes to have such a life.

Do you recognize at all that not everyone agrees with your idea of "fantastic lifestyle" and wants to live there? Do you give a shit about other people's preferences and choices, or do you just assume that you're so much wiser and better-informed than everyone else that your choices should be forced on them until they realize how right you are?

If Austria is your ideal, have you considered that it would be easier for you to just go back, rather than turning the US into a second Austria and making people who don't want that live in it?

YOU might not have resented it, but many of us WOULD . . . which is why we don't live in Austria.

Greg

Austria Tax Laws Tax System - WorldWide-Tax.com

The rates seem quite high to me. How much "better" was it than in the US??

Greg

Greg

How were the Kangaroos?

She said Austria not Australia

You don't read too well do you?

I think you missed that one. lol

Greg

which is odd since one can get drafted at 18

Yup...can't drink till 21 either
seems a little arbitrary dont it

Nope. In military service, the tendency of 18-year-old men to be reckless is a desirable trait. In the rest of life, not so much.

Reckless?? Not at all. That is indeed a myth. A reckless soldier is a danger to his own.

Greg

I didn't mean reckless in that sense. I was thinking more in terms of "You men storm that beach", and then they actually do it. You tell a bunch of people in their forties to storm that beach, and they're going to tell you you're insane.

Hmm. Me at 40; I don't think I would have made it far up the beach even if I wasn't fully kitted out.

Greg

Greg

Do you recognize at all that not everyone agrees with your idea of "fantastic lifestyle" and wants to live there? Do you give a shit about other people's preferences and choices, or do you just assume that you're so much wiser and better-informed than everyone else that your choices should be forced on them until they realize how right you are?

If Austria is your ideal, have you considered that it would be easier for you to just go back, rather than turning the US into a second Austria and making people who don't want that live in it?

YOU might not have resented it, but many of us WOULD . . . which is why we don't live in Austria.

People often have a rose coloured glasses view of great places where they have lived. I lived in the UK for a while and loved it; similar services to the Austrians and easier with language I would imagine. But I didn't get seriously ill there, I wasn't "saving" for my future-I was already well established- and my family was back in Oz all grown up. In short it was a "working holiday" scenario and I loved it. But give me home any day long term. Also I was able to buy my pipe tobacco quite cheaply and the variety was excellent. As was the good Scotch and port. However, my favourite past-time there was hill walking, and I recall being in my first snow ever. It was in Cumbria and a snow event moved in while I was at a snow-line. I sat in an old shooters' hide and enjoyed the snow as it passed over. I enjoyed my pipe while watching the snow falling on the surrounding hills and valleys in absolute awe. I walked back to the town..about five miles...and had a great log fire evening with a good scotch and port.

Now why someone like Esmerelda would consider that deviant and disgusting behaviour I have no idea.

Greg

Forum List

Back