Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Republicans want insurance companies to be able to cross state lines why not cigs?
Tax issues .

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

So you're ok with cancer caused by Cigarettes costing our economy hundreds of billions of dollars! You conservatives are disgusting pieces of shit and I can't believe it but I am starting to see that liberals were always right about you.
Wouldn't cost us millions if the government would stay the fuck out of our health care

IMO Liberals / Politicians saw the high mortality rate caused by cigarette usage and felt pressured to do something; however, they did not want to miss out on the immediate revenue collection stemming form cigarette sales. Seems like lives didn't really mean THAT much by comparison to the millions they sought to rake in through law suits against the industry and sales taxes.

Anyone remember the black cigarette packs and the label 'Death Sticks' (or something like that) that sold for a while. People did not care. As if it was a novelty instead of a warning people went out and bought these things up. There are some people who bought cigarettes when politicians tried to force cigarette companies to print disgusting photos of cigarette 'victims' and giant warning labels on packs of cigarettes. Some people will buy cigarettes no matter what...and there are politicians still eager to sell them their 'cancer sticks' - suicide rolled in paper as long as they get their 'cut' of the profit.
Just like pot

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Meanwhile cigarette smoking has dramatically declined

Remember when less smoking was going to equal less health insurance costs?
It does. Non-smokers pay less than smokers for health insurance.
Not by much.

Helped cause me to quit smoking.
The government's job is to help you quit smoking?

Part of the government's job is to collect taxes and provide for the general welfare of this country's citizens. Looks like that's exactly what tobacco taxes do. So, yeah. Smoking is down, looks like it worked.

Part of the government's job is to collect taxes and provide for the general welfare of this country's citizens. Looks like that's exactly what tobacco taxes do. So, yeah. Smoking is down, looks like it worked.
Lol sorry but unlike you I don't need a government mommy

Lol sorry but unlike you I don't need a government mommy

I don't either. As stated earlier, the additional taxes were an extra incentive to quit smoking, best decision I ever made.

In the meantime, cigarette smoking is down from when taxes were first introduced.

Maybe you guys should run on repealing cigarette taxes, that should be popular.

Snip

Republicans want insurance companies to be able to cross state lines why not cigs?
Um. Where did you get the idea cigarettes don't cross state lines?

Do you think New York has been making their own cigarettes all this time?

Snip

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%
How Smoking Affects Your Health Insurance Premiums

Term life, according to this it can more than double.
Smoker vs. non-smoker - Example Term Life Insurance Policies

Of course on top of that you're paying additional taxes to a 'tyrannical' government and an industry that has continually lied to it's customers.

So you're ok with cancer caused by Cigarettes costing our economy hundreds of billions of dollars! You conservatives are disgusting pieces of shit and I can't believe it but I am starting to see that liberals were always right about you.
Wouldn't cost us millions if the government would stay the fuck out of our health care

Every other country in the world loves their socialized medicine and they realize our healthcare system is a joke because of the for profits.

EVERYONE else understands but stupid Americans.

Healthcare went up 900% on Bush's watch. Yea, no problem at all...if you are rich or working for a good company. The rest can fuck off and die, huh?

Snip

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%

Of course on top of that you're paying additional taxes to a 'tyrannical' government and an industry that has continually lied to it's customers.
Where's all the savings from govt heathplans.....state local and Federal......... All a lie......

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%

Where's all the savings from govt heathplans.....state local and Federal......... All a lie......

You may be lost, not sure what any of that has to do with my post.

Holy shit.... 99th post on a thread about cigarette's being bad? Are there really that many people still defending the cigarette industry in 2015?

Why not? Even more are here defending liberalism.
So you would recommend to conservatives that they smoke more cigarettes?
basically I am an american, and anyone can do whatever they want. you wish to punish people as the libturd you are.

Snip

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%

Do try and use actual sources instead of the anti smokers lobby

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%

One link was from an insurance agent who...you know...sells insurance. If you want to counter the other link and find something that states there is less than a 10% difference in insurance costs between smokers and non-smokers then be my guest. As it is, you haven't provided anything.

Personally, I was surprised to find the difference as vast as it was.

Then, if you're concerned about the "anti-smokers lobby" you should begin looking for the health benefits of smoking because you sound like your head is in the 50s.

Every other country in the world loves their socialized medicine and they realize our healthcare system is a joke because of the for profits.

Healthcare went up 900% on Bush's watch. Yea, no problem at all...if you are rich or working for a good company. The rest can fuck off and die, huh?
Sure they are as they kill thier elderly use shity doctors and drown in debt

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%

One link was from an insurance agent who...you know...sells insurance. If you want to counter the other link and find something that states there is less than a 10% difference in insurance costs between smokers and non-smokers then be my guest. As it is, you haven't provided anything.

Then, if you're concerned about the "anti-smokers lobby" you should begin looking for the health benefits of smoking because you sound like your head is in the 50s.
Straw men are failures

Not by much.

According to this 15-20%

Straw men are failures

Didn't provide a single strawman. You're simply unable to provide an argument.

Sure they are as they kill thier elderly use shity doctors and drown in debt

Who is killing their elderly? Source needed.

If someone wants to smoke, or drink, or do drugs it's none of your fucking business

The entire idea of taxing people to change their personal behavior is abhorrent

They should be allowed if it is a hard drug. But tobacco? BAN TOBACCO, LEGALIZE DRUGS!

Regressive logic...

Forum List

Back