Cigarette Tax’s Unintended Consequences That EVERYBODY Saw Coming – Except Libs

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Progressives are weak minded fools...
sez someone who grovels to a dead man god on two sticks

So you're ok with cancer caused by Cigarettes costing our economy hundreds of billions of dollars! You conservatives are disgusting pieces of shit and I can't believe it but I am starting to see that liberals were always right about you.
Wouldn't cost us millions if the government would stay the fuck out of our health care

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
Every other country in the world loves their socialized medicine and they realize our healthcare system is a joke because of the for profits.

EVERYONE else understands but stupid Americans.

Healthcare went up 900% on Bush's watch. Yea, no problem at all...if you are rich or working for a good company. The rest can fuck off and die, huh?
Sure they are as they kill thier elderly use shity doctors and drown in debt

Who is killing their elderly? Source needed.
Go look it up. I am working. ...

So you're ok with cancer caused by Cigarettes costing our economy hundreds of billions of dollars! You conservatives are disgusting pieces of shit and I can't believe it but I am starting to see that liberals were always right about you.
Wouldn't cost us millions if the government would stay the fuck out of our health care

Every other country in the world loves their socialized medicine and they realize our healthcare system is a joke because of the for profits.

Healthcare went up 900% on Bush's watch. Yea, no problem at all...if you are rich or working for a good company. The rest can fuck off and die, huh?

Sounds like you're making excuses. You made the claim, if you don't have the time to back it up then don't make it. You've provided nothing in this thread, not a god damned thing, I don't have the time to entertain your lack of conviction.

I don't have to. All I have to do is talk to my two REPUBLICAN bosses who are British. They love everything about the GOP except two things. Guns and Healthcare. They know America's healthcare system is a joke.

Funny those foreigners get it but you don't. Maybe its because you are just brainwashed Americans who've never left America and don't know shit about shit.

Were liberals the only ones who didn’t see this coming?

When New York raised their cigarette taxes to the highest in the nation – $4.35 per pack – not only did revenue decline by $1.3 billion, but organized crime and the smuggling of cigarettes across state lines is now rampant in the Empire State.

Over the last ten years, while state lawmakers raised the tobacco tax by190 percent, smokers switched to cheaper alternatives – like going to nearby Indian Reservations – quit smoking altogether or bought them on the rampant black market, The Daily Caller is reporting.

In fact, now 58 percent of all cigarettes are supplied from out-of-state and the number of packs bought at “full price” has dropped by 62 percent.

Snip

High cigarette taxes not only assist global crime networks but also have a disproportionate impact on the poor. According to the New York State Department of Health, low-income smokers, defined as individuals in households earning less than $30,000 a year, spent 23.6 percent of the annual household income on cigarettes in 2010-2011. That number is up from 11.6 percent in 2003-2004.

Read more: New York Loses $400 Million After Imposing The Nation’s Highest Cigarette Tax
Progressives are weak minded fools...
sez someone who grovels to a dead man god on two sticks
Sez someone who worships the federal government....
Lol

Maybe you should talk to some Canadians, particularly elder Canadians about how much they love their Socialized healthcare. Especially talk to the Canadians that are in our joke of US hospitals that they crowd into over here about their healthcare system.

Maybe you should talk to some Canadians, particularly elder Canadians about how much they love their Socialized healthcare. Especially talk to the Canadians that are in our joke of US hospitals that they crowd into over here about their healthcare system.

carroll-canada-graph1.gif

I am glad that cigaretttes are being taxed, banned and looked down upon. We're saving billions of dollars every year through saved healthcare cost in this nation.

Many members of my family died from this sickness. Too hell with you loserterian freaks.

Sure, Canadians with a lot of money.

My mom had lymphoma and had to wait weeks to get in. She lives in America. I could tell you a lot of nightmare stories about the American healthcare system. You guys have been telling this one story for 40 years.

My mom had lymphoma and had to wait weeks to get in. She lives in America. I could tell you a lot of nightmare stories about the American healthcare system. You guys have been telling this one story for 40 years.

No medical care system is perfect in spite of what you guys have been telling us for years.

We all have our problems, including Canada, and I have talked with plenty of elderly Canadian drivers throughout the years. You can find article after article on the subject.

All any system can do is try to make it better. That's all. You will never create the perfect system no matter who you try to emulate. For instance we had a great system, it's just that prices got out of control and that left people unable to afford healthcare. Commie Care came along and made things worse.

What system does government run efficiently and economically? None. So why do we turn to government to solve any of our problems?

Both my British bosses have mums at home who are getting old. They say Brits love not having to worry about their parents or themselves. If you get sick you are covered. And they figured out how to pay for it.

And the rich are still rich!

No medical care system is perfect in spite of what you guys have been telling us for years.

We all have our problems, including Canada, and I have talked with plenty of elderly Canadian drivers throughout the years. You can find article after article on the subject.

All any system can do is try to make it better. That's all. You will never create the perfect system no matter who you try to emulate. For instance we had a great system, it's just that prices got out of control and that left people unable to afford healthcare. Commie Care came along and made things worse.

What system does government run efficiently and economically? None. So why do we turn to government to solve any of our problems?
Government runs what private for profit companies should not. Prisons, Congress, schools, elections, the military, fire and police, our public airwaves, post office, r&d, healthcare, energy, public lands, IRS, epa. Notice a lot of these things the government does is because corporations don't want to do or want to charge too much to do it. For example to deliver a letter to someone who lives on a mountain in Alaska. The USPS does it for fifty cents

Republicans would like to privatize everything. Zero regulations. And a government powerless to defend citizens from extreme wealth.

Both my British bosses have mums at home who are getting old. They say Brits love not having to worry about their parents or themselves. If you get sick you are covered. And they figured out how to pay for it.

Okay, so what are they doing so differently? What would we have to change in our system? What kind of money do their healthcare workers make, and would our citizens be willing to work for the same money? Do they have lawsuits and malpractice over there and how much is it? What is their quality of care over there and how does it differ from ours? We have the highest paid doctors in the US. That's why we have so many leave their country and come over here--to make the best money, so we do get the best doctors.

Piece of mind, doesn't fuck up the economy, what more could one want?

Government runs what private for profit companies should not. Prisons, Congress, schools, elections, the military, fire and police, our public airwaves, post office, r&d, healthcare, energy, public lands, IRS, epa. Notice a lot of these things the government does is because corporations don't want to do or want to charge too much to do it. For example to deliver a letter to someone who lives on a mountain in Alaska. The USPS does it for fifty cents

Republicans would like to privatize everything. Zero regulations. And a government powerless to defend citizens from extreme wealth.

Well I would sure like you to explain that to my post office because I've had a lot of letters come from less than 20 miles that never made it here.

And if the PO does such a good job, why don't we remove the law that states the USPO is the only one allowed to handle first class mail? Why not let the private market try it out and see if they do a better job?

And can you point to me anything on your list that hasn't had major problems of some kind in the past or currently?

Well I would sure like you to explain that to my post office because I've had a lot of letters come from less than 20 miles that never made it here.

And if the PO does such a good job, why don't we remove the law that states the USPO is the only one allowed to handle first class mail? Why not let the private market try it out and see if they do a better job?

And can you point to me anything on your list that hasn't had major problems of some kind in the past or currently?

Really? I almost never have a problem with the post office. On occasion they have delivered my mail to the wrong address, considering their volume it's not a big deal. FedEx and UPS have both done the same to me as well.

Really? I almost never have a problem with the post office. On occasion they have delivered my mail to the wrong address, considering their volume it's not a big deal. FedEx and UPS have both done the same to me as well.

When the post office started going broke, they merged post offices and our local one got moved to the next suburb. Since that time, I've had nothing but problems. The mail I put in the mail box doesn't get to it's destination, and mail I'm supposed to get never gets here.

In that past, I've been able to threaten them by calling the Post Master General. Now it seems that they don't even give a shit. I get credit card bills in the mail with late charges because I didn't pay it the previous month. I never got it the previous month. I've had others send bills here that were due three days before I got the invoice.

I've never had a problem with Fed Ex and had one problem with UPS. Other than that, the items I order get here and get here on time.

When the post office started going broke, they merged post offices and our local one got moved to the next suburb. Since that time, I've had nothing but problems. The mail I put in the mail box doesn't get to it's destination, and mail I'm supposed to get never gets here.

In that past, I've been able to threaten them by calling the Post Master General. Now it seems that they don't even give a shit. I get credit card bills in the mail with late charges because I didn't pay it the previous month. I never got it the previous month. I've had others send bills here that were due three days before I got the invoice.

I've never had a problem with Fed Ex and had one problem with UPS. Other than that, the items I order get here and get here on time.

You didn't pay a credit card bill because it came late in the mail? That's 100% your fault, take some personal responsibility, fer cryin' out loud

Forum List

Back