🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Colorado 4th grader brings legally purchased pot to sell at school

I wonder what disciplinary action was taken?

This is surely not as serious as bringing a half-eaten gun-resembling Pop Tart to class.

Confiscation to the teachers break room

Actually I do not drink, and if up to me alcohol would be illegal.

so how much support from the masses do you think you would get to do that?......

Probably less than 2%.

see thats what im driving at....there are lots of people who drink to put a buzz on, who will then tell you all about how dangerous pot is and why it should remain illegal...and there will be people with a Cigaret between the fingers who will tell you the same thing....pot at least for right now should be decriminalized and taken off the schedule 1 list....

If the pot belonged to the child's parents and the child took it to school without their parents' permission, this should teach their parents how to keep what means enough to them out of their child's reach.
You would hope, but then maybe the parents, or grandparents were stoned and the kids could do whatever they wanted.
True.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

It was bad enough we have to watch out for drunks on the road, now with more states either legalizing recreational or medical use, we have to now more than ever watch out for stoners on the road. And as this catches on one state after another, it will only get worse.

Thanks to the slackers of America, otherwise known as the millenials.
Marijuana has been prohibited for so long this kind of celebratory reaction to its being readily and legally available is to be expected -- much like "amateur night" behavior on New Year's Eve. But it won't take long for the novelty to expire and the shine to wear off.

The Netherlands experienced a similar reaction to nationwide decriminalization in 1976, but it soon leveled off and the only problems with legally available marijuana were caused by tourists -- mainly American and Italian. As far as the Dutch are concerned marijuana is no big deal and there has been a marked decrease in use by adolescents whose interest is no longer excited by the lure of the illicit.

Legal marijuana in America will not be totally free of some level of abuse, but the overall negative effect, and the cost to society, will be significantly lower than those brought about by prohibition.

I wonder what disciplinary action was taken?

This is surely not as serious as bringing a half-eaten gun-resembling Pop Tart to class.

nothing a letter was sent home

-----------------

April 22, 2014
Dear Monfort families:
Over the past two days, we have had two separate, but related incidents of students bringing
marijuana into our school, both in the form of loose leaf marijuana and an edible form of the
drug.
Please, let me stress, no student was injured by using this drug and the students bringing it to
the school have been identified and disciplinary action is underway. The Greeley Police
Department was also notified of this incident.
This does, however, raise some serious safety concerns for students. We know that many adults
have greater access to marijuana since the change in the drug’s legal status in Colorado as of
January 1, 2014. Because adults have greater access, there is also the danger that children now
have greater access to this potentially dangerous drug.
We urge all parents, grandparents and anyone who cares for children to treat marijuana as you
would prescription drugs, alcohol or even firearms. This drug is potentially lethal to children,
and should always be kept under lock and key, away from young people.
We will continue to deal with any issue of children bringing illegal or dangerous substances to
school promptly and effectively. These incidents are a reminder to us all that we must be diligent
where our children’s safety is concerned.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to
call me or our Assistant Principal Kelly Seilbach at
Sincerely,

Jennifer Sheldon, principal
This is an intelligent and sensible request by Ms. Sheldon. What she has said should be the substance of an intensive public education program to awaken those parents who simply do not have the good sense to take preventive measures without being told to.

Marijuana is just one more thing which must be kept out of the reach of minors. And it helps to explain to kids that any substance which imparts a temporary effect to the adult brain can have a permanent effect on an undeveloped brain, so restricting its use is constructive, not punitive. There is a good reason for it.

The point here, is availability.

Yes some kids already smoke pot, yes some kids already drink alcohol, but once you legalize this crap everywhere, kids will have thousands of times the opportunity to come across it than they already did before.

This story here, the grandparents (probably loser hippies) left it laying out and a 4th grader comes across it. A 4th grader ! What's that, an 8 or 9 year old ?

As pot is slowly legalized everywhere, you'll see this story in many different forms repeated over and over.
You probably won't believe this but alcohol was far more available to minors during Prohibition than it is today. And kids were far more interested in obtaining back then simply because it was illegal. The lure of the illicit has a powerful effect on the adolescent mind. If coffee were made illegal today rest assured there would be "pushers" selling it in schoolyards tomorrow.

so how much support from the masses do you think you would get to do that?......

Probably less than 2%.

see thats what im driving at....there are lots of people who drink to put a buzz on, who will then tell you all about how dangerous pot is and why it should remain illegal...and there will be people with a Cigaret between the fingers who will tell you the same thing....pot at least for right now should be decriminalized and taken off the schedule 1 list....

But that's kind of my point, once pot is legalized there won't be any going back, just as there's no going back with alcohol.
Then not only will we still be fighting the scourge that is alcohol, we'll be having to deal with another one, because once pot is part of the legal distribution pipeline, it will become just as much of a problem that alcohol is. Wait and see, kids will be coming across it everywhere.

That was tried already. It was called Prohibition. Not only did it fail to constrain availability of booze it created a social monstrosity. Do you actually believe another prohibition can keep marijuana out of the hands of anyone who wishes to buy it?

"Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it." (Santayana)

Focus repressive action on misuse of the drug, not on its availability. That can work.

The point here, is availability.

Yes some kids already smoke pot, yes some kids already drink alcohol, but once you legalize this crap everywhere, kids will have thousands of times the opportunity to come across it than they already did before.

This story here, the grandparents (probably loser hippies) left it laying out and a 4th grader comes across it. A 4th grader ! What's that, an 8 or 9 year old ?

As pot is slowly legalized everywhere, you'll see this story in many different forms repeated over and over.
You probably won't believe this but alcohol was far more available to minors during Prohibition than it is today. And kids were far more interested in obtaining back then simply because it was illegal. The lure of the illicit has a powerful effect on the adolescent mind. If coffee were made illegal today rest assured there would be "pushers" selling it in schoolyards tomorrow.

Yes I've heard those stories about the stills in every home. However today, with the # of distribution points that alcoholic beverages enjoy, I believe if alcohol were illegal today, we would all be less exposed to it than we are currently.

And again, I still say, once legalized everywhere, kids will be more exposed to it, as will everyone.

That was tried already. It was called Prohibition. Not only did it fail to constrain availability of booze it created a social monstrosity. Do you actually believe another prohibition can keep marijuana out of the hands of anyone who wishes to buy it?

Focus repressive action on misuse of the drug, not on its availability. That can work.

Sigh.

Yes I know all about prohibition, I don't need a lecture on it.

And no I never said keeping pot illegal will keep it out of everyone's hands.

Again, I'm talking availability. We're already seeing an increase in vehicle fatalities due to an increase of use for "medical" reasons.

Once legalized everywhere, we'll start seeing other problems increase.

So unfortunate that there are so many weak people that need to live outside of reality, and that goes for alcohol, pot and any other abused substance.

I don't think you understand the statistics you are quoting.

If I smoke on July 1st, then get into a car accident on July 15 l will still test positive for Cannabinol.

That doesn't mean i was driving while high.
You've called attention to a very important issue, one which is responsible for a considerable level of misleading statistics. My neighbor's son was fired from his job at Fort Monmouth (NJ) when he failed a urine test. But the trace of marijuana detected by the test was over two weeks old, a factor the test is unable to determine.

But that's kind of my point, once pot is legalized there won't be any going back, just as there's no going back with alcohol.

Then not only will we still be fighting the scourge that is alcohol, we'll be having to deal with another one, because once pot is part of the legal distribution pipeline, it will become just as much of a problem that alcohol is. Wait and see, kids will be coming across it everywhere.
Marijuana cannot possibly become "just as much of a problem" as alcohol for several very important reasons, which are: marijuana is not addictive, nor does it cause any kind of medical problems, nor does it stimulate violent behavior. Beverage alcohol is biologically and psychologically toxic. Marijuana is benign.

Whether or not you choose to believe that it happens to be true.

Sigh.

Yes I know all about prohibition, I don't need a lecture on it.

[...]

Yet you would repeat it.

Probably less than 2%.

you may be right....but ill be damned if i will not say something about Judges deciding on a sentence for some kid in his court who had 2 Oz's of pot,who goes into his chambers and pours himself a drink and lights up a Cigarette and decides how much jail time to give the kid....its hypercritical....especially if the Judge smoked the stuff at one time....even more if he still does....Pot should at least for the time being, be Decriminalized........

Forum List

Back