Common core math problems ..

You're a shithead moron. They talk about Midnight, giving the amount he eats in a week, and have you calculate what he eats in a day, and then compare it to RUSTY, who must have been the subject of a previous question.

Why try to bullshit people?
Typical rightwing tactic of providing content out of context to support their propaganda

The test obviously requires you to solve parts of the problem as you go along

So now arthimitic is a story board? A book ? Word scramble?

1 + 1 =?

But in this case it's not arithmetic...its a damn story board ...thats reading trying to figure out the right answer that the teacher wants you to find..

It's not teach children how to think, but what you want them to think... indoctrination.
Actually, the information needed to solve the problem was provided in the previous question

Information deceptively left out of the OP

7 cups ?

Since when do you make arthimitic a story board...?

A boss tells you to make sure you have 50 widgets in inventory, you see you have 9 left, are you going to order 50 widgets @ $10,000 grand a piece or order 41?
That is a story board
You have to look at consumption rates and how much 50 would cost vs 41

Math in real life is not 1+1

According to the left, math is about feelings. There is no right or wrong.
What an idiotic thing to say, given that, the more educated one is, the more likely to be liberal that person is. It's like you think things become true because they dribbled from your mouth.

We had common core in Morocco so did most countries, and we scored always higher than american students....even when we came here and we took math, the average of us scored A+ easily, so did so many of my friends from Asia and Europe while american students did struggle. Is that right path to get students interested in math and encourage more to pursue higher math.

American students are trained to be mindless Democrats, so beating them in math is no big deal

Well there is this also...

Moroccan Math and Science Education Struggling, But Improving: Survey
I have tons of friends that went on to study both Europe/US/Canada they all excel in most subjects especially science and math.
We always joked about how easy it's here in the US comparecomparsd to Europe for example. It's a known fact...an internet search can' help you with that, weve lived it.

Then where is these great mathematical wizards from Europe/mocco solving string theory or quantum physics?
Go to NASA, labs, silicone valley you'l find thrm all there making things better for humans.

What?

If it is a box, you want to know the volume, not the area.

Area is a surface dimension.

Area = Length * height.

The volume is length * height * depth

We're talking math

quadrilaterals
An equivalent condition is that the diagonals bisect each other and are equal in length. Rectangles include squares and oblongs. Informally: "a box or oblong" (including a square). Square (regular quadrilateral): all four sides are of equal length (equilateral), and all four angles are right angles.

That's not common core it was invented by the Greeks

Quadrilaterals were invented by the Ancient Greeks. It is said that Pythagoras was the first to draw one. In those days quadrilaterals had three sides and their properties were only dimly understood.
Why were quadrilaterals invented in the first place? What is the ...
Quora › Why-were-quadrilaterals-invent...

Feedback
Damn! I would have thought some caveperson probably drew a quadrilateral in the dirt long before Pythagoras was ever born. Damn Pythagoras and his fetish with rational numbers.

Actually the store had to close because they can't open up the cash register. And the credit card readers don't work without power.

Lol people still have a few bucks in their wallets

O.K. a person just came back from the ATM, and wants to buy a quart of milk for $1.20 and a 12 pack of soda for $3

Ther's a 5 cent per can bottle tax, and a 6% state tax on non-essentials.

All the guy has is a $20

$1.20 + $3 + 12*$0.05 + $3*0.06 = $4.98.

Charge $5, cash only, no lights.

Last edited:
You silly thing. You left out part of the question.You will never figure it out until you read the entire thing. Ask your teacher for help.

What's the "answer" to the dog food question?

Quit lying. Obviously there is more information given, that you decided not to include in this goofy thread. Typical lying RWNJ.

Then post it..

I want to know the truth, do you have any children in school?

If you think I can't handle the truth you are fucking wrong.

Are you really going to continue trying to portray that as the complete question? Really?

It looks like the complete question to me

View attachment 172501

Xelor gave good answers way way back in the first posts.

It looks like the complete question to me

cimg0172-1-jpg.172501

You're a shithead moron. They talk about Midnight, giving the amount he eats in a week, and have you calculate what he eats in a day, and then compare it to RUSTY, who must have been the subject of a previous question.

Why try to bullshit people?
Typical rightwing tactic of providing content out of context to support their propaganda

The test obviously requires you to solve parts of the problem as you go along

So now arthimitic is a story board? A book ? Word scramble?

1 + 1 =?

But in this case it's not arithmetic...its a damn story board ...thats reading trying to figure out the right answer that the teacher wants you to find..

It's not teach children how to think, but what you want them to think... indoctrination.
Actually, the information needed to solve the problem was provided in the previous question

Information deceptively left out of the OP

7 cups ?
My only problem is that if the child gets the first question wrong, he automatically misses the second

Don't know the answer?

It's very cool and a good idea to give kids the confidence to think about numbers, not just add/subtract/multiply/divide them by rote.

Both of these word problems help kids identify necessary information to solve a problem. There's nothing wrong with that.
Doesn't it frustrate the kids when key pieces of information are left out possibly making them feel like they are dumb?
Word problems are designed to help kids solve real world problems, and in real life, information is often missing. So no, I don't think it will make them feel dumb---it will be a "lightbulb" moment, in fact.

Question 1:
Let x be number of cups of food Rusty eats.

Answer: Midnight eats |4 - x| more or fewer cups of food than does Rusty.​

Question 2:
Let x be the quantity of coins Erica bought.
Given/premise: Erica had 6 coins when she went to the coin show.
Assumption: Erica did not sell any of her coins.

Answer: Erica now has 6 + x coins.
Why did I use absolute value for the first equation and not for the second? Simply to illustrate a different way of handling the answer to the problem.

The fact that the questions, as illustrated, do not provide enough information to yield a numeric answer does not mean there is no way to answer the questions.
They don't introduce variables in 1st grade, which is why I gave the answer I did.

Don't know the answer?

It's very cool and a good idea to give kids the confidence to think about numbers, not just add/subtract/multiply/divide them by rote.

Both of these word problems help kids identify necessary information to solve a problem. There's nothing wrong with that.

To the contrary ... Mathematics is probably the most enjoyable school of academics.
Probably because it is definitive ... And not based in, nor clouded by subjective opinion and absolute hogwash.

There is a correct answer in mathematics ... And everyone can come to the exact same correct answer.
There is absolutely no need to pollute mathematics with that kind of garbage.

BlackSand, I've always thought you were pretty smart, but that was a really not smart statement. There certainly would be a definitive answer to both those problems if enough information were provided, but it wasn't. It has nothing to do with subjective opinions. That, girl, is the hogwash.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Why did I use absolute value for the first equation and not for the second? Simply to illustrate a different way of handling the answer to the problem.

The fact that the questions, as illustrated, do not provide enough information to yield a numeric answer does not mean there is no way to answer the questions.
They don't introduce variables in 1st grade, which is why I gave the answer I did.

Cool. I think yours was a reasonable answer for a first grader to give and were I the grader, I'd give a first grader full marks for that answer.

Though I don't know much about Common Core's testing designs and approaches, I do recall learning, some years after I took them, that the standardized tests we were as kids given often had a question or two that deliberately was above the level of cognition/education expected of kids in my age/grade cohort. (It was quite possible to get those questions wrong and still score in the 99th percentile) I was told those questions were there to facilitate teachers identifying their most able students. I don't know whether Common Core has any features of that approach nor have I ever confirmed what I was told.

What I would expect a very bright first grader to do is write an answer that is like mine, but write it in English rather than in math. After all, math is just a language, one wherein the "grammar" is given by theorems, postulates and so on, and the sentences are equations. The difference between smart and the very smartest first graders is that the very smart ones will realize that there isn't a numeric answer to the question and will thus provide their answer as best as it possible using English.

Edit:
Mind you. When I doubt that when I was in the first grade, I would have answered as I think a very bright first grader would have. I would have written "not enough information" or something like it. My daughter would have given an answer similar to what I note as the expectation of a very bright first grader, but then it was apparent very early on that she's sharper than I and her mother. LOL​

Last edited:
Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Among the other lies in the OP, I doubt if that is a first grade problem

Probably third grade

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade
I doubt if that is a first grade problem

That notion crossed my mind too; however, I'm willing to take the OP-er at his word that it is indeed a question that appears on a first grade test. I am because I have neither the will nor a way to soundly or cogently show otherwise.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

Still no answer to these simple problems?

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade
I doubt if that is a first grade problem

That notion crossed my mind too; however, I'm willing to take the OP-er at his word that it is indeed a question that appears on a first grade test. I am because I have neither the will nor a way to soundly or cogently show otherwise.

The OP is rightwing propaganda attempting to discredit common core

It intentionally withheld information from previous questions that was needed to answer the problem

I doubt if a first grader has the verbal or math skills to do these problems. If they do, then common core is very, very impressive

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade
OT:
Frankly, that a first grader didn't figure out valid/accurate answers to the questions -- be it the ones I gave or the one OldLady gave in post 11 -- isn't particularly disconcerting. What is far more disconcerting -- on multiple levels -- is that a first grader's parent didn't conjure one of those answers.​

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

Show the whole test and we can talk

You providing partial information and then saying....aha...you can't answer.... is deceptive

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

Show the whole test and we can talk

You providing partial information and then saying....aha...you can't answer.... is deceptive

It's not partial , show where anything is left out?

Math is not a romance novel.

Forum List

Back