Communist California to require Solar Panels on all new homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
again you're comparing sewage to solar.
jesus you guys dont have a clue
I'm comparing a city's requirements for new buildings to be constructed to a standard that considers the common good.
The free market is the best provider of the public good.
Great idea - I could charge people to dump their shit onto my 1/8 acre property in the middle of town.
I love the free market!
As long as your neighbors didn't have to smell it and it stayed on your property. If wind blew it onto someone else's property, you would be sued. Of course, you know that's not possible.
Hmmm...ya got me there!
I wonder how we could prevent noxious emissions and waste from the likes of power plants as well?
If only there was some way of reducing the need for them.
Steam is about the only thing that comes out of modern coal fired power plants. I lived about 3 miles away from a giant one for 5 years. I didn't mind it one bit.

Last edited:
...so your 8.83 kW system produces 29.1kW per day, interesting.

Kilowatts (KW) would be the rate at which energy is produced. The amount produced over time would be kilowatt-hours, or KWH.

That said, the numbers are believable. Most solar power specifications assume a six-hour “solar window” from 09:00 to 15:00. Obviously, real-world performance will vary from calculations based on that specification. The peak will be at solar noon, assuming the panels are correctly aligned.

If the system were able to produce a continuous 8.83 KW over the whole six-hour window, then the total production during that time would be {8.83 6 ×} 52.98 KWH. That, of course, is an idealized theoretical specification; real-world performance would certainly be expected to fall significantly short of that.

I have been a Realtor in North Florida for over 40 years.

Several years back I listed and sold a home with about 2,700 sq.ft. of heated and cooled area. He had installed a 25kwh solar panel system at the cost of roughly $70,000. This was confirmed from his records and by two local property appraisers. The panels covered half the roof of the main single story house as well as a large lanai between the house and pool.

The house and land sold for less than the house would have sold for had it NOT had solar panels. The house is in the country on a nice piece of acreage. I'm sure the new owner was thrilled to not have a utility bill and not have to pay for the system as well. He and his wife had eleven kids, like stair steps up to the age of about 17 and one newborn.
Have you read about Babcock Ranch in Florida, America's first solar powered town? It's targeted for 50,000 residents. It's powered by 343,000 solar panels and home are prices starting at $190k.
Solar Powered Town | Babcock Ranch, Florida

A lot of California envy going on…

For many years, more people have been leaving California for other states than have been moving here. According to data from the American Community Survey, from 2007 to 2016, about 5 million people moved to California from other states, while about 6 million left California. On net, the state lost 1 million residents to domestic migration

California Losing Residents Via Domestic Migration [EconTax Blog]

And still they went from being the WORLD'S sixth largest economy to FIFTH.

A lot of California envy going on…

For many years, more people have been leaving California for other states than have been moving here. According to data from the American Community Survey, from 2007 to 2016, about 5 million people moved to California from other states, while about 6 million left California. On net, the state lost 1 million residents to domestic migration

California Losing Residents Via Domestic Migration [EconTax Blog]

And still they went from being the WORLD'S sixth largest economy to FIFTH.
That is amazing considering the way the state government does everything in its power to sabotage the economy.

I can't applaud them more for that.

I've believed that all new houses should be made with solar panels in them for decades.

No it shouldn't be a choice anymore.

We don't have a choice about a lot of things when It comes to houses. There are housing codes and zoning laws that we all must comply with. Everyone's newly built house has to pass inspection. That means the house is required to have electricity, running water, sewage and heat just to name a few. I'm sure that people in the 1930s in rural places didn't think they needed inside pumping, a very unhealthy outhouse growing diseases was just fine with them. Same with the rural electrification project in the 1930s. I'm sure those rural areas didn't think they needed electricity, burning down their home from using lamp oil was just a small price to pay for not letting those big government fools in DC telling them what to do.

Requiring all new houses be built with solar panels is just another one. One that benefits everyone and only adds at the most 10 thousand dollars to the cost of the house. A house that sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars so 10 grand isn't even a drop in the bucket to the cost of building it.

More states should follow California's lead.

I'm comparing a city's requirements for new buildings to be constructed to a standard that considers the common good.
Great idea - I could charge people to dump their shit onto my 1/8 acre property in the middle of town.
I love the free market!
As long as your neighbors didn't have to smell it and it stayed on your property. If wind blew it onto someone else's property, you would be sued. Of course, you know that's not possible.
Hmmm...ya got me there!
I wonder how we could prevent noxious emissions and waste from the likes of power plants as well?
Steam is about the only thing that comes out of modern coal fired power plants. I lived about 3 miles away from a giant one for 5 years. I didn't mind it one bit.
Only steam from a coal-fired plant eh?
I'm sure you're right.

I love the free market!
Hmmm...ya got me there!
I'm sure you're right.
I said "about the only," you sleazy lying moron.

I love the free market!
Hmmm...ya got me there!
I'm sure you're right.
I said "about the only," you sleazy lying moron.
About the only thing from a coal-fired plant is steam, eh?
I'm sure you're right.

Cali has an energy problem . Also has a lot of sunlight !

Seems like a smart idea .
You didn't bother explaining what that energy problem is, however, I will point out that Solar Panels are not only expensive, but horribly inefficient.

Even if they were designed to track the sun, they would operate at a maximum efficiency of 33%, and that's assuming the sun is ALWAYS out, and clouds don't exist. Most of what is seen on the market is about 16% efficiency. Of course, this should already be obvious, they wouldn't need government subsidies, nor the government forcing people to buy these products, if they could actually compete on the market.

Not only all of this, but they're removing a choice for homeowners, people now have to PAY for Solar Panels, because the government wants them do. If the government can do this, they can force people to buy other things as well.

But Sun light is free unless you are paying for it...

Cali has an energy problem . Also has a lot of sunlight !

Seems like a smart idea .
You didn't bother explaining what that energy problem is, however, I will point out that Solar Panels are not only expensive, but horribly inefficient.

Even if they were designed to track the sun, they would operate at a maximum efficiency of 33%, and that's assuming the sun is ALWAYS out, and clouds don't exist. Most of what is seen on the market is about 16% efficiency. Of course, this should already be obvious, they wouldn't need government subsidies, nor the government forcing people to buy these products, if they could actually compete on the market.

Not only all of this, but they're removing a choice for homeowners, people now have to PAY for Solar Panels, because the government wants them do. If the government can do this, they can force people to buy other things as well.

But Sun light is free unless you are paying for it...
The components used to make the Solar Panels are not free. Of course, this is the obvious thing that I was pointing out.

Of course, I'm sure it's difficult for you to read and understand my post with your head so far up the government's anus. Don't forget to come up for air.

I can't applaud them more for that.

I've believed that all new houses should be made with solar panels in them for decades.

No it shouldn't be a choice anymore.

We don't have a choice about a lot of things when It comes to houses. There are housing codes and zoning laws that we all must comply with.

So what if they created a law that says all new homes must come with a built-in gun safe, or perhaps an indoor swimming pool, or maybe a 120 inch big screen?

T'here is a difference when government makes regulation for safety and government makes regulation for pet projects; especially when such regulations will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back