Company Dumps Healthcare Plan

My 50 year career in the health insurance industry, most of which was VP of Underwriting, was to tell sick people, "No" when they applied for insurance. I am sure that hundreds died as a result of my decisions. Thankfully, what I used to do for a living is now illegal.

My 50 year career in the health insurance industry, most of which was VP of Underwriting, was to tell sick people, "No" when they applied for insurance. I am sure that hundreds died as a result of my decisions. Thankfully, what I used to do for a living is now illegal.

You should jump back in. It's no longer illegal but just a government job.

Non responsive. Germany is a prosperous country not because of social entitlements, but in spite of them. Germany is an exception to the norm.

40% US size, 40% unionized, min 5 weeks vacation, UHC, exports near as much as US, university costs less than $5,000 per year, min 14 weeks 100% paid leave on maternity, etc

Germany MUST be a hell hole

Feel free to move to you and your three over there as fast as you can.

I'll stay and continue the Founders fine tradition of taking US more liberal thank you... SS/Medicare/Obamacares

40 hour work weeks, min wage, labor laws, union rights, environmental and workplace safety laws. civil rights, etc...YOU CAN THANK A LIBERAL

You have to wonder how it was ever legal to start with.

Oh, that's right....government regulation. Insurance is one of the most heavily regulated industries there is.

40% US size, 40% unionized, min 5 weeks vacation, UHC, exports near as much as US, university costs less than $5,000 per year, min 14 weeks 100% paid leave on maternity, etc

I'll stay and continue the Founders fine tradition of taking US more liberal thank you... SS/Medicare/Obamacares

40 hour work weeks, min wage, labor laws, union rights, environmental and workplace safety laws. civil rights, etc...YOU CAN THANK A LIBERAL
And that's worked out well? Detroit had all of that at one point. Look at them now.

As I said in that thread....liberals have always been willing to take credit for what others have done and seem to feel no shame in living off of others either.

Let me thank you.

:fu:

The large employer gets assessed at $2000-$3000 per employee per year, (as tax penalty) and this $2000-$3000 per employee is not tax deductible, as paying for insurance would be, and the large employer's employees would not be eligible for any subsidies if he offers them the $350 towards health insurance on the exchange, AND the $350 that he would give employees to buy insurance is also not tax deductible because the law states you must be buying the health insurance for the employee, not for the employee to buy their own, so the IRS would not allow that $350 as a deduction...they could just give them all a $350 raise, then that could be deductible, i suppose....

Most large companies offer health care insurance because their employees demand it, and when they go and get rid of the benefit, it is the beginning of their best employees to a mass exodus, of them leaving and going to companies that do offer it....

Before the Obama care mandate, large corporations could have dropped their insurance any time they wanted, or never have offered it in the first place....there was nothing stopping them, no penalties or any of that...yet most of them offered health care insurance....for recruiting the best employees.

Good luck to your friend's company! :eusa_pray:
If any of these employees at your friend's company have spouses whose employer has health insurance they would be forced to go on their spouse's plan before they could go on to the exchange with subsidies as well...

Did you just make that up?
nope....

that's the rule...

A friend of mine is the benefits manager for a small company (500 employees). He tells me as of 12/31 they will no longer offer health insurance. Why?
Well, currently they spend $4M/yr on health coverage for their employees. The employees kick in another 1.5M. By dropping coverage he pays the $1M penalty. But in return he can give each employee $350/mo towards their own coverage and still come out ahead...
But since this is a zero sum game the loser is of coure the taxpayer, who will be subsidizing all the lower paid employees who dont have coverage from their jobs.
This will of course drive up the cost of Obamacare astronomically.

Every company similiarly situated is doing exactly the same analysis and they will come to exactly the same concliusions: cheaper to kick employees off the plan and just pay them a little extra.

That "little extra" amounts to $4,200/yr. Even with paying the $1mil penalty the firm comes out ahead and leaves each employee with $5,700 ($4200+&1,500) to buy private insurance. God bless America.

What I see happening is health insurance that doesn't work for those covered. In order to be "affordable" the deductables are so high as to have one of two results. First is a reluctance to use it because of high deductables. Basically meaning only the poor can afford good coverage, because they don't pay anything. Result two is an even higher cost to health care as folks pay high premiums and the high deductables to have care.

Here is one of the foibles of ACA.....And this comes straight from my Chiropractor's financial admin....She told me that die to ACA rules, if a new patient so much as mentions they are covered by a health insurance policy, by law, the office MUST bill that company for the patient's treatment.
Now, here's the real pisser. Because my insurance did not cover for Chiropractic as "well care" I became a cash customer.
I pay $45 for an adjustment plus a nice traction stretch or stim pad session....
And insured patient 'pays' $155 for the same thing. Of course the reimbursement is much lower.
It is cheaper to be a cash patient. But Obamacare does not want people paying for medical care. And the geniuses in DC made sure of that. Pricks.
How dare a bunch of politicians tell the American people they may not pay for their own health care?!!!!

Same here. My bone cracker charges me 40 per visit. Our insurance no longer covers chiropractic thanks to obiecare. But it does give us all the prenatal care and birth control a woman of 43 with a hysterectomy could ever need.

Weird, YOUR state (let me guess red Arizona) doesn't require chiropractic care? I'm shocked

Chiropractic as a Covered Benefit

Almost every state has selected a benchmark plan that includes chiropractic as an essential benefit.

Alabama: $600 per year
Alaska: 12 visits per year
Arizona: 20 visits per year
Arkansas: 30 visits per year
Connecticut: 20 visits per year
Delaware: 30 visits per year
Florida: 26 visits per year
Georgia: 20 visits per year
Idaho: $800 per year
Illinois: $1,000 per year
Indiana: 12 visits per year
Kentucky: 12 visits per year
Maine: 40 visits per year
Massachusetts: 12 visits per year
Michigan: 30 visits per year
Mississippi: 20 visits per year
Missouri: 26 visits per year
Montana: $600 per year
Nebraska: 20 visits per year
Nevada: 12 visits per year
North Carolina: 30 visits per year
North Dakota: 20 visits per year
Ohio: 12 visits per year
Oklahoma: 25 visits per year
Pennsylvania: 20 visits per year
Rhode Island: 12 visits per year
Tennessee: 20 visits per year
Texas: 35 visits per year
Vermont: 12 visits per year
Virginia: 30 visits per year
Washington: 10 visits per year
Wyoming: 15 visits per year

Chiropractic as a Covered Benefit

YEAH, OBAMACARES FAULT *SHAKING HEAD*

As I said in that thread....liberals have always been willing to take credit for what others have done and seem to feel no shame in living off of others either.

Let me thank you.

I know it was those 'free market' conservatives who fought for those things right? lol

awwwww.... $350 to every employee for insurance that costs thousands.

how nice.

thanks for the "story". but good that you want to encourage companies to force us to pay for you freeloaders.... while crying and whining about efforts to get people covered by insurance in a manner they can afford.

typical rightwingnut idiocy.

Didn't see the per month part, did ya?

Also the $350 may not cover ALL the costs monthly, but the other part states the government will gladly take up the slack via subsidies.

Try reading before spewing.

You ask to much.

Let me thank you.

I know it was those 'free market' conservatives who fought for those things right? lol

You know.....nothing.

And that's worked out well? Detroit had all of that at one point. Look at them now.

Don't understand a city that dies because of national policies (see conservatives 'free trade', trickle down, etc) huh

The large employer gets assessed at $2000-$3000 per employee per year, (as tax penalty) and this $2000-$3000 per employee is not tax deductible, as paying for insurance would be, and the large employer's employees would not be eligible for any subsidies if he offers them the $350 towards health insurance on the exchange, AND the $350 that he would give employees to buy insurance is also not tax deductible because the law states you must be buying the health insurance for the employee, not for the employee to buy their own, so the IRS would not allow that $350 as a deduction...they could just give them all a $350 raise, then that could be deductible, i suppose....

Most large companies offer health care insurance because their employees demand it, and when they go and get rid of the benefit, it is the beginning of their best employees to a mass exodus, of them leaving and going to companies that do offer it....

Before the Obama care mandate, large corporations could have dropped their insurance any time they wanted, or never have offered it in the first place....there was nothing stopping them, no penalties or any of that...yet most of them offered health care insurance....for recruiting the best employees.

Good luck to your friend's company! :eusa_pray:

That's a lot of "if's".....Sums up to nothing.
it comes as no surprise an uninformed lib such as yourself has not the ability to figure this out.
there is only 1 'if' in there, and that is 'if' the employer gave employees $350.00 to go towards health care insurance each month, it's not a tax deduction allowed for the business, so the business would have to make the increase, as a salary increase if they want the business expense deduction.... but making the $350 a month per each employee as a salary increase, would also obligate the employer to pay the employer portion of their employee's payroll taxes on it too.

And therefore it is deductible.

Just reading your post you don't seem very good at math. Can you put this into a spreadsheet so we can all make sense of your post?
what part do you not understand AzMike, maybe I can explain it to you in further detail?
Make a spreadsheet and show your work. You do know how to make a spreadsheet right? You seem to think of yourself as a great accountant so this should be easy. It comes down to income versus expenses. You need a few columns to show that. That is the further detail I'm looking for.
I gave a basic and simplified explanation, if you want it more complicated and a spreadsheet to understand it, then do it yourself, you've got rabbi's numbers, it's not that difficult...

and sweetie, you don't stand a prayer in trying to put me down with my abilities with numbers or spreadsheets...stop making a fool of yourself....while you can. :beer:

Last edited:

Really? Sacrificing your existence and that of your 3 kids just to make a point? You think you're some kinda martyr or does the reality have something to do with your decision to stay? :lol:

what part do you not understand AzMike, maybe I can explain it to you in further detail?
Make a spreadsheet and show your work. You do know how to make a spreadsheet right? You seem to think of yourself as a great accountant so this should be easy. It comes down to income versus expenses. You need a few columns to show that. That is the further detail I'm looking for.
I gave a basic and simplified explanation, if you want it more complicated and a spreadsheet to understand it, then do it yourself, you've got rabbi's numbers, it's not that difficult...

and sweetie, you don't stand a prayer in trying to put me down with my abilities with numbers or spreadsheets...stop making a fool of yourself....while you can. :beer:

Too late for you though.

Government run healthcare "doesn't work for everyone".

Yet conservatives can't find even ONE poll EVER from a UHC nation that wants US style H/C!

Polls?
Umm, sunshine......In case you have been living in a subway tunnel, know this....Once government rolls out an entitlement, it is virtaully impossible to get rid of it.
Western European nations, save a very few, have socialized medicine because they cannot end the programs.
These countries have run out of people and businesses to tax.
The basis of socialized medicine is not to control costs. It controls the consumer price but ignores the eventual rising costs.

Weird, You would think the right wingers (Heritage,AEI, Kochs, etc) could create ONE poll with leading questions to show how unhappy the nations with UHC are right?

Forum List

Back