Confederate statue removed from historic North Carolina courthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no right to a statue on public property. You can place it in your yard an offend whoever you want if that makes you happy.
Says who?...what do you want to do away with next...burning the flag?....its the same thing...Burning the flag offends me but I will fight along side you to keep your right to do so....

There is no right to a statue on public property. You can place it in your yard an offend whoever you want if that makes you happy.
Says who?...what do you want to do away with next...burning the flag?....its the same thing...Burning the flag offends me but I will fight along side you to keep your right to do so....

If you want to burn a flag, have at it. I'll support your right to do that.

Says the fucking PUBLIC THAT OWNS THAT PROPERTY, that's who.

"A North Carolina county removed a Confederate statue from a historic courthouse early on Wednesday, joining the handful of places around the state where such monuments have come down in recent years despite a law protecting them.

News outlets reported that a subdued crowd of several dozen people watched as the statue of a soldier was taken down overnight outside the historic Chatham county courthouse, where it had stood since 1907. By dawn, even the base was gone..."

Burning books will be next...

As a sane and rational liberal progressive who thinks conservatives are dangerously deranged I think they should just leave the statues alone. They are a part of our NATIONAL HISTORY and should be retained and maintained.

But the public in the town can be over ridden by outside powers...that is not the American way...New Yorker's don't own my towns park anymore than I own theirs...and if we all in my town agree that a statue must remain where it is that should end it...

"A North Carolina county removed a Confederate statue from a historic courthouse early on Wednesday, joining the handful of places around the state where such monuments have come down in recent years despite a law protecting them.

News outlets reported that a subdued crowd of several dozen people watched as the statue of a soldier was taken down overnight outside the historic Chatham county courthouse, where it had stood since 1907. By dawn, even the base was gone..."

As a sane and rational liberal progressive who thinks conservatives are dangerously deranged I think they should just leave the statues alone. They are a part of our NATIONAL HISTORY and should be retained and maintained.

Again, what they are is part of a national propaganda campaign by a partisan group bent on rewriting the history of the Civil War (the UDC). Statues are not "history". History is kept in BOOKS. Statues are memorials, used to glorify figures or events. They carry a distinct and partisan message. And they were all thrown up in a mad cascade around the time this one was (1907), deliberately placed in public squares like this courthouse --- which in turn puts the message in the collective mouth of that town or city, which is why towns and cities are removing them. This Cult of the Lost Cause campaign began after the Confederacy lost the war, expressed through books like "The Clansman" (which turned into a play which turned into a movie), movies like "Birth of a Nation" and "Gone With the Wind", re-written schoolbooks, and an endless barrage of statues and monuments all over the country from the Civil War battlefields out to Montana, including a plaque commemorating the founding of the KKK, including a giant stone edifice carved into Stone Mountain where the KKK was founded under a burning cross.

And this particular propaganda transmitter belongs to the UDC, who willingly took it back. They no longer wish to push that propaganda either.

We've ALREADY covered all this throughout this thread. And before.

Last edited:
But the public in the town can be over ridden by outside powers...that is not the American way...New Yorker's don't own my towns park anymore than I own theirs...and if we all in my town agree that a statue must remain where it is that should end it...

You are certifiably insane.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THE COMMUNITY DID HERE, Jocko. Took charge of their own property. And it's THEIR decision to do so.

Just as it's Charlottesville's decision in this thread over here.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THE COMMUNITY DID HERE, Jocko. Took charge of their own property. And it's THEIR decision to do so.

Here...have a burger and shut up....

upload_2019-11-22_16-48-0.jpeg

Here...have a burger and shut up....

View attachment 291169

Ew. :puke:

Again, what they are is part of a national propaganda campaign by a partisan group bent on rewriting the history of the Civil War (the UDC). Statues are not "history". History is kept in BOOKS. Statues are memorials, used to glorify figures or events. They carry a distinct and partisan message. And they were all thrown up in a mad cascade around the time this one was (1907), deliberately placed in public squares like this courthouse --- which in turn puts the message in the collective mouth of that town or city, which is why towns and cities are removing them. This Cult of the Lost Cause campaign began after the Confederacy lost the war, expressed through books like "The Clansman" (which turned into a play which turned into a movie), movies like "Birth of a Nation" and "Gone With the Wind", re-written schoolbooks, and an endless barrage of statues and monuments all over the country from the Civil War battlefields out to Montana, including a plaque commemorating the founding of the KKK, including a giant stone edifice carved into Stone Mountain where the KKK was founded under a burning cross.

And this particular propaganda transmitter belongs to the UDC, who willingly took it back. They no longer wish to push that propaganda either.

I don't like anyone removing works of art or monuments from historical places.

I don't like anyone removing works of art or monuments from historical places.

They're not "works of art". They're propaganda transmitters. And more to the point they're on public land, which the public has every right to control.

That's why they were put on public land in the first place --- to transmit propaganda and make that propaganda look "official". Whelp, the officials are now saying no it ain't. And they have every right to control their image and what's being propagated in their name.

Again --- read the thread. We did all this..

That plaque on the Klan building for example. When it was turned around backwards the only entity to complain about it was the Klan itself. Fuck 'em.

I'll take all those statues for scrap value.

They should not be placed on public property as a honor to someone who lost but they are still art. We condemned the Taliban for destroying art. They belong in a museum, not on a courthouse lawn.
How long do you think it would take until a band of butt hurt liberals were offended by the museum and started up with their antifa bullshit?

I'll take all those statues for scrap value.

They should not be placed on public property as a honor to someone who lost but they are still art. We condemned the Taliban for destroying art. They belong in a museum, not on a courthouse lawn.
How long do you think it would take until a band of butt hurt liberals were offended by the museum and started up with their antifa bullshit?

Hard to tell. The best thing to do would be to ignore them.

Glad to see it go.

As a North Carolinian I'd say BUH bye now, BUH bye, and don't let the door hit you in the brass....

What about the north carolinians who disagree with you? Do they not count anymore, and if not, why not?

Nape. The locals made the decision, it's theirs to make. Good on 'em.

I do think they count though. If I didn't I might, I dunno, lowercase their description even though it's a proper noun.

In the state of Washington, they have a statue of VI Lenin on public land, why is that ok then? The Triple K are pikers compared to the Communist Party which killed a hundred million in the 20th Century.

In the state of Washington, they have a statue of VI Lenin on public land, why is that ok then? The Triple K are pikers compared to the Communist Party which killed a hundred million in the 20th Century.

On private land and privately owned.

The Fremont Chamber of Commerce supports art as expressive freedom and a means of preserving and remembering history. We have no connection to the statue or any way of contacting the owners. It is on private land and privately owned.

Lenin Statue - Fremont, Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back