Confederate statue removed from historic North Carolina courthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should not be placed on public property as a honor to someone who lost

Says who?...

Are they not being removed? We are. You might be one to give Hillary a run for their money in bad loser department.

"We" are the ones that put them up. What happened to that? I thought the goal was "we" all living together in harmony.

Those who had a problem had little voice in speaking up. They were on the back of the bus. That is no longer the case.

You are assuming that someone had a problem with it. Despite well over a century of the celebration of Confederate symbols being seen has harmless regional pride, by the nation as a whole.

YOur assumption is unsupported.

The nation has changed since these monuments were put up. I understand that upsets some.

Says who?...

Are they not being removed? We are. You might be one to give Hillary a run for their money in bad loser department.

"We" are the ones that put them up. What happened to that? I thought the goal was "we" all living together in harmony.

Those who had a problem had little voice in speaking up. They were on the back of the bus. That is no longer the case.

You are assuming that someone had a problem with it. Despite well over a century of the celebration of Confederate symbols being seen has harmless regional pride, by the nation as a whole.

The nation has changed since these monuments were put up. I understand that upsets some.

We were told that the change would be leading to us all living in harmony.

Nothing was said about our history and culture being eliminated.

We agreed to the change, based on that information. Were we lied to?

Once AGAIN history lives in BOOKS, not in STATUES.

Moreover, this being a Confederate statue, it can't have anything to do with "Democrats". The CSA had no political parties. And yet, here you are trying to rewrite history. Ironic, that.

Prove me wrong and you can have that rewrite.

Let's take down the Statue of Liberty then.

Statue of Liberty.... Statue of Liberty ........... :eusa_think:
---- OK that has WHAT to do with the Cult of the Lost Cause?

Those who insisted and got change knew it would make some mad.

Says who?...

"The UDC" are the ones that put them up. And the UDC is taking them back. Read the article --- court ruled that the UDC still owns it and therefore they can do that;

What, you want to steal UDC's property now?

Are you saying that is WHY they lied? How is what you said, an answer to my question? Are you under some magical curse, where if you are clear in your speech, you suffer the tortures of the damned?

Are you saying that is WHY they lied? How is what you said, an answer to my question? Are you under some magical curse, where if you are clear in your speech, you suffer the tortures of the damned?

Just because you claim something doesn't mean I have to take it seriously.

Confederate statue removed from historic North Carolina courthouse

"A North Carolina county removed a Confederate statue from a historic courthouse early on Wednesday, joining the handful of places around the state where such monuments have come down in recent years despite a law protecting them.

News outlets reported that a subdued crowd of several dozen people watched as the statue of a soldier was taken down overnight outside the historic Chatham county courthouse, where it had stood since 1907. By dawn, even the base was gone..."

Burning books will be next...

Removing statues is a step to obliterating our American history. What happened in the past, good and bad, are part of what we are today. Some would want US not to be Americans.

Once AGAIN, this still hasn't changed in the last five minutes, HISTORY IS NOT KEPT IN STATUES. History is kept in what we call "history books", obviously an arcane concept to the Echobabble Bubble. GLORIFICATION is what's kept in statues.

HISTORY does not change. ATTITUDES toward specific events, DOES.

Says who?...

"The UDC" are the ones that put them up. And the UDC is taking them back. Read the article --- court ruled that the UDC still owns it and therefore they can do that;

So, the UDC got co-opted. That is just a dodge. The statues celebrate Southern Heritage and History.

Why are you trying to erase their history and heritage?

I didn't claim anything. I asked you a question.

Unless you are denying that the stated goal of multiculturalism was all of us living in harmony? What the hell are you trying to even say? Have you ever heard of the words, "yes" or "no"?

Damn, you really are under a curse where you can't make a clear statement, aren't you?

Was it a demon? Or a dark mage? Did you put on cursed underwear?

Unless you are denying that the stated goal of multiculturalism was all of us living in harmony? What the hell are you trying to even say? Have you ever heard of the words, "yes" or "no"?

Damn, you really are under a curse where you can't make a clear statement, aren't you?

Many do wish we all could get along. That doesn't mean that they didn't understand that many would get mad that they could no longer legally discriminate.

Lincoln is yet another figure who has nothing to do with the Lost Cause.
This thread is about Civil War statues. Lincoln precipitated the Civil War. It was His War.

No, it's about Lost Cause statues, of which the example in your OP WAS one. READ IT.

How old was Lincoln in 1907?

This is my state, I know what a fucking Lost Cause statue is.

Wrong again. "Lost Cause" is not mentioned in the OP, only your repeated drivel.
Fighting to protect your sacred homeland from a Terrorist invasion sent by a Tyrant is a lost cause?

Oh but it is. Roll tape.

>> News outlets reported that a subdued crowd of several dozen people watched as the statue of a soldier was taken down overnight outside the historic Chatham county courthouse, where it had stood since 1907. By dawn, even the base was gone.

But county officials argued in court that the monument was private property, owned by the United Daughters of the Confederacy

Protesters have also torn down two such monuments in recent years, including one at a historic Durham courthouse and another on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. <<

Those two were erected 1924 and 1913 respectively, also spurred by the UDC. The latter was dedicated with a Confederate veteran rambling on about how he had publicly "whipped a negro wench" near that very spot years before.

We did all this shit before. It may be new to you, not new to us.

Oh and that court decision to send it back to the UDC and let them decide what to do with it but not on our public property, that's not new either.
So the left is like the Taliban eh?
Taliban blow apart 2,000 years of Buddhist history

Where do you get "the left" here?

DO essplain to the class what Lost Cause monuments the Taliban blew up. This oughta be cute.

Many do wish we all could get along. That doesn't mean that they didn't understand that many would get mad that they could no longer legally discriminate.

Refusing to answer questions, is not a way to get along. It is a way to tell someone, that you refuse to be honest about your intentions and goals.

Glad to see it go.

As a North Carolinian I'd say BUH bye now, BUH bye, and don't let the door hit you in the brass....

What about the north carolinians who disagree with you? Do they not count anymore, and if not, why not?

Nape. The locals made the decision, it's theirs to make. Good on 'em.

I do think they count though. If I didn't I might, I dunno, lowercase their description even though it's a proper noun.

What about the locals that didn't support it? Do they count?

They wuz outvoted, wasn't they.

You remember 'outvoted'?

Refusing to answer questions, is not a way to get along. It is a way to tell someone, that you refuse to be honest about your intentions and goals.

One does not have to address something you just made up.

Says who?...

So, the UDC got co-opted. That is just a dodge. The statues celebrate Southern Heritage and History.

Why are you trying to erase their history and heritage?

Really.....

HOW did the UDC get "co-opted" ?

UDC's history and heritage is well secured. They made sure of that when they went on this massive propaganda campaign a century ago. Now they're trying to clean up their image. Who are you to tell them they can't do that, in a place you don't even live?

Glad to see it go.

As a North Carolinian I'd say BUH bye now, BUH bye, and don't let the door hit you in the brass....

What about the north carolinians who disagree with you? Do they not count anymore, and if not, why not?

I do think they count though. If I didn't I might, I dunno, lowercase their description even though it's a proper noun.

You remember 'outvoted'?

So, minorities don't get to publicly celebrate their heritage and culture? Wow.

You remember 'outvoted'?

So, minorities don't get to publicly celebrate their heritage and culture? Wow.

UDC is not a "minority". It's an advocacy group and one comprised of WOMEN.

This gets easier and easier.

One does not have to address something you just made up.

What are you saying that I "just made up"? Is your cursed underwear preventing you from saying it? Or is this just you being evasive, because you don't like where this conversation is headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back