Congressman: ‘I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage’

Congressman: 'I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage' | ThinkProgress

These people want other people living in shit on the side of the street. The minimum wage demands fairness for the workers.

If you can't get 7.25/hour to hardly pay for food after you're done working. You're no more then a slave. These bastards want Africa, mexico or china for Americans.
This will never be accepted but it has long been my contention that raises in the minimum wage should be tied to raises for Congressmen. If the Senators and Representatives give themselves a 10% raise, the people working for minimum wage automatically receive a 10% increase in their wage. That seems fair to me.
It has long been my contention that raises for Congress should be based on a evaluation of their job performance by those they work for in this case the American people the same way the rest of us do or do not get a raise.

and you do give an evaluation to members of congress it is called a vote

This will never be accepted but it has long been my contention that raises in the minimum wage should be tied to raises for Congressmen. If the Senators and Representatives give themselves a 10% raise, the people working for minimum wage automatically receive a 10% increase in their wage. That seems fair to me.
It has long been my contention that raises for Congress should be based on a evaluation of their job performance by those they work for in this case the American people the same way the rest of us do or do not get a raise.

You get to decide if a member of Congress keeps their job by the vote but they are the only employees I can think of who can decide to give themselves a raise if the people got to vote yes or no on if Congress gets a raise or not if suspect a lot of this gridlock and partisan bullshit that dominates Congress would disappear real quick.

We could deport the tens of millions of illegals who compete with our low skilled workers for jobs.

Would we do this before, or after we indict the business owners, and/or the people who hired them?

indict for what? making a profit? when has making a profit become illegal?
Making a profit by hiring illegal immigrants is and always has been illegal. The problem is our corporatist government does its best to avoid prosecuting the offenders who, in turn, support our corrupt representatives with campaign "contributions" and under-the-table bribery. this is just one of the ways our Country is being sold by its elected representatives.

look if your forced to make the wages you make that is your fault not the fault of the wage you make

If you didn't educate your self and or learn a skill that is in short supply and a high demand you only have your self to blame
This is precisely the kind of reasoning that led to the rise of the Gilded Age, when there were two classes of American, the rich and the poor. The poor had no money to spend so the economy stagnated, as it is doing now. Eventually it brought on the Great Depression.

Constructive change came about in the form of progressive taxation with a 91% rate for the upper income levels. This financed a number of federal make-work programs, which put millions of impoverished Americans (including my father and uncle) to work on public improvement projects at living wages. This increased financial circulation, which stimulated the economy, which in turn brought about the most prosperous and productive years in our history -- the 1940s to the 1980s, until Reaganomics put an end to it with "supply side economics." And here we are.

So, while there is nothing wrong with being rich, the gluttonous super-rich, the One Percent, have decimated the middle class and are ruining this Country by hoarding its wealth resources off-shore. They should be penalized for what they've done and are doing. And the appropriate penalty is confiscatory taxation.

If you doubt what I'm saying, read this: Super Rich Hide $21 Trillion Offshore, Study Says - Forbes

Last edited:

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) told the National Journal that he thinks the country should get rid of the minimum wage. “I think it’s outlived its usefulness,” he said. “It may have been of some value back in the Great Depression. I would vote to repeal the minimum wage.” Can Obama Unilaterally Raise the Minimum Wage? - NationalJournal.com

Barton’s not the only lawmaker to hold such a view. In June, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) told a meeting of the Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee to mark 75 years since the signing of the Federal Labor Standards Act, which guaranteed a minimum wage, that he “do[es] not believe in it” and that he would abolish the minimum wage. And while he hasn’t called for the full repeal of the minimum wage, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) has said, “I don’t think a minimum wage law works.”

These people want other people living in shit on the side of the street. The minimum wage demands fairness for the workers.

If you can't get 7.25/hour to hardly pay for food after you're done working. You're no more then a slave. These bastards want Africa, mexico or china for Americans.

IDIOT!

READ what the Bureau of Labor statistics show who earns "Minimum WAGE"!

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.
Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.
Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers.
Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

3.8 million working at less then or equal to minimum wage!

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over. (See table 1 and table 7.)

HOW MANY workers under 25 have a family of four to support?
AND idiot... FAMILY of Four at minimum wage can GET THE FOLLOWING FREE STUFF!

4) People in poverty in the USA get:

a) Free Cell phone (my cell phone I PAY is about $100/month)
if the poor person receives just one of the below FREE entitlements:
* Food stamps * Medicaid * Section 8 * Supplemental Security Income * National School Lunch Program

b) 40 million Americans on food stamps get $200/month in free food.

it cost $75.7 billion in 2011 compared to $35 billion in 2008; and enrollment has hit an all-time high of 46.7 million recipients. Meanwhile, the number of children receiving free school lunches has inflated from 18 to 21 million — an unprecedented jump —
about 2.1 million households (6 million) use Section 8 the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large

c) portion of the rents and utilities of or the Housing Choice Voucher Program up to $1,000 /month in FREE housing...

So these people get
=== $ 5,666 in EIC cash,
=== $12,000 free housing ,
=== $ 2,400 free food,
=== $ 1,200 in free cell phone plus
=== $ 5,000 a year in free health care from Medicaid.
So this is about $26,000 a year in FREE MONEY, free goods and free services...

BUT IDIOT... Let's raise the minimum wage.... WHO will pay for it dumb f...k!!!

We could deport the tens of millions of illegals who compete with our low skilled workers for jobs.

Would we do this before, or after we indict the business owners, and/or the people who hired them?

look if your forced to make the wages you make that is your fault not the fault of the wage you make

If you didn't educate your self and or learn a skill that is in short supply and a high demand you only have your self to blame
Yours is the straw argument that stirs the conservative drink. Nobody decries profit. It's the foundation of and purpose to productive labor.

Labor. Labor performs the productive work that brings in the profit.

The division of those profits between management and labor is skewed just a tad towards management. And it is sadly inappropriate for some executives to make 100s of times what the laborer earns.

I never see the entrepreneur blamed for business losses, failures and what not. That's always the fault of greedy workers and unions...remove those platinum pension plans and then the business could really compete. And whether the business does well or not so well, the management walks away with the vast lion's share of the earnings. Labor...they get enough $$ to make it to the next paycheck. Both parties are necessary to create a profitable company yet only one side makes out financially.

That could not be better illustrated than with those unamerican scumbags that ship jobs overseas to make more money off of slave, child, and / or unregulated labor.

Indict for hiring illegals. Hiring illegals IS still illegal....isn't it? It doesn't appear to be. I have a skill. A few runs in my job would probably give most people...the runs. Everything's fine in my world.

This economy (or the majority of it) appears to be one big deception. That's why I'm working to get OUT of it. Fiat currency-:lol:

Halloween III, was a perfect metaphor to describe the United States economy-"The Big Giveaway." The big GIVEAWAY evolved (or metastasized) from having what one needed, to having what one wanted, during the 20th century. The BIG giveaway was unveiled, in October of 2008. Slowly but surely, the great brain fart began to dissipate around 2005- +/- 2 years. :wtf:

The odor still lingers however, as it was a silent-but-deadly post-egg salad fart. And we know what to expect next. :doubt:

Last edited:

Yours is the straw argument that stirs the conservative drink. Nobody decries profit. It's the foundation of and purpose to productive labor.

Labor. Labor performs the productive work that brings in the profit.

The division of those profits between management and labor is skewed just a tad towards management. And it is sadly inappropriate for some executives to make 100s of times what the laborer earns.

I never see the entrepreneur blamed for business losses, failures and what not. That's always the fault of greedy workers and unions...remove those platinum pension plans and then the business could really compete. And whether the business does well or not so well, the management walks away with the vast lion's share of the earnings. Labor...they get enough $$ to make it to the next paycheck. Both parties are necessary to create a profitable company yet only one side makes out financially.

That could not be better illustrated than with those unamerican scumbags that ship jobs overseas to make more money off of slave, child, and / or unregulated labor.

Quit crying me a river, do you really think Sam or Kroch started out. With a 1000 plus stores? And what the kids want is take their profits what they built on blood sweat and tears through voting. Easy way.... start your own empire.

Unfortunately, lobbyists give raises to the candidates, before we can evaluate them.

Making a profit by hiring illegal immigrants is and always has been illegal. The problem is our corporatist government does its best to avoid prosecuting the offenders who, in turn, support our corrupt representatives with campaign "contributions" and under-the-table bribery. this is just one of the ways our Country is being sold by its elected representatives.

This is precisely the kind of reasoning that led to the rise of the Gilded Age, when there were two classes of American, the rich and the poor. The poor had no money to spend so the economy stagnated, as it is doing now. Eventually it brought on the Great Depression.

Constructive change came about in the form of progressive taxation with a 91% rate for the upper income levels. This financed a number of federal make-work programs, which put millions of impoverished Americans (including my father and uncle) to work on public improvement projects at living wages. This increased financial circulation, which stimulated the economy, which in turn brought about the most prosperous and productive years in our history -- the 1940s to the 1980s, until Reaganomics put an end to it with "supply side economics." And here we are.

So, while there is nothing wrong with being rich, the gluttonous super-rich, the One Percent, have decimated the middle class and are ruining this Country by hoarding its wealth resources off-shore. They should be penalized for what they've done and are doing. And the appropriate penalty is confiscatory taxation.

If you doubt what I'm saying, read this: Super Rich Hide $21 Trillion Offshore, Study Says - Forbes

you don't know your history to well the great depression was caused by investors borrowing money then using that borrowed money to invest into the stock market and using the money they made in the stock market to pay off the loans and keeping the difference. when stock prices dropped the profits off the stocks wasn't enough to pay off the loans so the loans started to go into default so then people rushed to sell off the stocks to pay off the loans but the price of those stocks wasn't enough to pay off the loans so billions of dollars disappeared

Keynesian economics like you described doesn't work it never has worked name one time in history that it has worked there is not one shred of EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE that it has. it is just theories on a piece of paper

there is EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE that supply side economics has just ask Reagan

Last edited:
Yeah, let's subsidize WalMart and other mega-corps instead.

1457618_684580081563860_28220386_n.png

Yes! We must kill WalMart now!
End their low wages.

Their employees would be better off with no wages.
That'll reduce the government money we have to spend on these folks.

Yeah, let's subsidize WalMart and other mega-corps instead.

1457618_684580081563860_28220386_n.png

no, we subsidized the FAILED projects a.k.a. as Solyndra - and THAT is the DIRECT reason why economy is not growing, jobs are not being created and wages are not rising.

Jobs ARE being created - by the left. Jobs are being destroyed by the right.

But, didn't you say you were in favor of Bush?

1426133_684576294897572_410602840_n.jpg

Even so, Bush's failed Solyndra was pennies compared to ...
1471079_683571974998004_465290205_n.jpg

The right gives tax money to huge corporations while fighting against Americans at every turn.

rw's are against everything this country was built on.

Hate the US? Leave and take traitorous Bolton with you.

What subsidies do you feel these corporations get?
Spell them out.

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) told the National Journal that he thinks the country should get rid of the minimum wage. “I think it’s outlived its usefulness,” he said. “It may have been of some value back in the Great Depression. I would vote to repeal the minimum wage.” Can Obama Unilaterally Raise the Minimum Wage? - NationalJournal.com

Barton’s not the only lawmaker to hold such a view. In June, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) told a meeting of the Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee to mark 75 years since the signing of the Federal Labor Standards Act, which guaranteed a minimum wage, that he “do[es] not believe in it” and that he would abolish the minimum wage. And while he hasn’t called for the full repeal of the minimum wage, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) has said, “I don’t think a minimum wage law works.”

So what you are saying is that a supposedly FREE PERSON shouldn't have the ability to negotiate any wage they felt was adequate to compensate them for their time, in direct competition with other workers. So you prefer government dictates to freedom, good job comrade.

Mandate E-Verify.
$10000 fine for the first violation, $20000 for the second, $30000 for the third, $40000 for the fourth. Rinse, repeat.

That's a good idea, but E-verify doesn't solve all of the problems:
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/illegal-immigration/map-states-mandatory-e-verify-laws.html

One of the big problems- our brethren to the South don't have their houses in order. Some of it is their doing, and some of it is secondary to our actions-during the Cold War.

Mandate E-Verify.
$10000 fine for the first violation, $20000 for the second, $30000 for the third, $40000 for the fourth. Rinse, repeat.

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/illegal-immigration/map-states-mandatory-e-verify-laws.html

One of the big problems- our brethren to the South don't have their houses in order. Some of it is their doing, and some of it is secondary to our actions-during the Cold War.

No, it doesn't solve all the problems, but when they see jobs drying up, they'll start to head home.

Mandate E-Verify.

No, it doesn't solve all the problems, but when they see jobs drying up, they'll start to head home.

1. I think that if the company has 5 or fewer employees, they aren't required to "E-Verify", or I recall that being one of MANY issues.
2. Offering rewards would be helpful-to encourage others to rat out "Mr. Smith/Mr. Johnson", when informer knows that someone is illegal...and can prove it.
3. Build a special prison(s) (would produce JOBS) for those who are hiring illegals (endangering national security).
Perhaps the US definitions of terrorism would be sufficient to arrest some of these serpents:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

4. Walmart...need I say more?
5. Stopping the "War on Drugs" would kill some of the incentive...which would lead to human trafficking. So...ideas on how to capitalize on reversing the war on drugs, and stopping human trafficking for profit; would be huge steps.

Oh to have the capital and the imagination to slow down corruption! :eusa_think:

Last edited:

They want to drive wages as low as possible, so they can make as much as possible. What they seem to miss is the fact that by destroying a decent wage structure in this country, it will eventually go full circle and bite them in the ass. What conservatives have done is go from telling us how the pie is ever expanding to stopping the expansion of the pie and taking a larger and larger percentage of it.

When you raise the Minimum Wage to, say, $8.50/hr, all you're really doing is eliminating all the jobs whose labor doesn't bring in $8.50/hr or more income into the business.

Exactly. Minimum wage laws actually regulate workers, not employers. They tell them "If you can't convince someone you're worth X dollars per hour, you're not allowed to work. Go beg on the street."

Last edited:

They want to drive wages as low as possible, so they can make as much as possible. What they seem to miss is the fact that by destroying a decent wage structure in this country, it will eventually go full circle and bite them in the ass. What conservatives have done is go from telling us how the pie is ever expanding to stopping the expansion of the pie and taking a larger and larger percentage of it.

Well hell if you're going to fucking cry about it how about we just increase the minimum wage to 1 million dollars per hour, that way every little ignorant freak could be a millionaire. Would you shut the fuck up then?

Minimum wage reduces efficiency by artificially raising the price of low-skill labor. Minimum wage reduces employment of low-skilled individuals which leads to some people having zero wage while it helps others have a higher wage. Minimum wage reduces employment opportunities for low-skilled people.

Minimum wage increases cause corporations to go overseas in order to survive, which reduces employment opportunity for people in this country. Some corporations will go overseas. In the case of fast food chains, they are already looking at using robots to replace these employees, especially after the staged walkouts.

Robots Could Take Over Fast Food Jobs - Careers Articles

Robot fast-food workers are inevitable: Peter Nowak

So because of ignorant and selfish people, soon there will be more people unemployed. It will be harder for people coming out of high school to get a job to get started in this world. Those wishing for minimum wage may get their wish, but they may also find themselves replaced by robots, or kiss their job good-bye as they see their company go overseas.

Employers who offer low wages for low-skill labor are exactly what economic efficiency is all about. Providing higher pay for low-skill sends the wrong message, it destroys incentive to improve ones skills and move up, instead it promotes staying low-skill and kills the competitive spirit to do what it takes to move up.

Countless times people have complained about lack of American made products, people like those wanting minimum wage increases are exactly why these people are complaining.

Well hell if you're going to fucking cry about it how about we just increase the minimum wage to 1 million dollars per hour, that way every little ignorant freak could be a millionaire. Would you shut the fuck up then?

This just shows your utter stupidity. In the past forty years, worker productivity has increased by more than 75%. Wages have actually dropped. Where has all the money gone? It's all gone to the top. The working class has been fucked over, and now it's time to pay the piper. What cons fail to understand is that this has affected the entire economy, because those with lower incomes spend almost their entire incomes. It has cost us a great deal of growth in the economy, and it has negatively impacted the wages of the middle class also. But hey, why not raise the minimum wage to $1 million per hour. :cuckoo:

What a tool.

Forum List

Back