Conservative views driving young people away from organized religion: 'They have no reason to go'

Who do you think the law should serve?
The People of course. Making sin illegal has always been very attractive to religious leaders. It's no accident that morality laws are often eventually found to be unconstitutional.

Conservative views driving people away? Jesus Christ was the quint essential conservative...........He lived His entire life under the ordinances of the Old Law and did not sin one time, He was the only person on earth to never sin. He chastised the Jewish leaders of His day because they refused to go by the letter of the law while promoting man made tradition over the actual content of the scriptures.

Yep I'm sure that second grade teacher from Little Town, Nebraska down the pew from you on Sunday goes into her classroom on Monday morning and immediately begins teaching the Woke Religion to 7 yo

I'm a Christian Conservative but the talking points are just too stupid, I'm sorry. Because right, the public school in rural South Dakota is JUST EXACTLY like the one in Brooklyn, NY

Yep
Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Nothing shocks me anymore, how bout you?

Conservative views driving people away? Jesus Christ was the quint essential conservative...........He lived His entire life under the ordinances of the Old Law and did not sin one time, He was the only person on earth to never sin. He chastised the Jewish leaders of His day because they refused to go by the letter of the law while promoting man made tradition over the actual content of the scriptures.
We're not talking about Jesus. Religion is a thing of men, money, rules and penalties. If your religion is full of judgemental hypocrites that seem to be obsessed with stamping out fun how can you blame people for not voluntarily joining up?

The People of course. Making sin illegal has always been very attractive to religious leaders. It's no accident that morality laws are often eventually found to be unconstitutional.
All laws are based on morality.

It's just a matter of what morality is the most PC.

All laws are based on morality.

It's just a matter of what morality is the most PC.
Good laws are based on ethics. Everyone can agree that certain things like murder, theft and rape should be punishable without religion ever coming into the discussion. Can you say why sodomy should be the subject of any law without talking about God?

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Nothing shocks me anymore, how bout you?

It is ridiculous to claim that the public schools in San Francisco CA are just like the public schools in rural Louisiana or Montana. Use common sense. You realize that public school teachers live within driving distance of their schools, yes? You think somehow public schools in rural Montana truck in teachers from Berkeley CA?

Hello

Good laws are based on ethics. Everyone can agree that certain things like murder, theft and rape should be punishable without religion ever coming into the discussion. Can you say why sodomy should be the subject of any law without talking about God?

Parsing out the difference between ethics and morals is semantics. The problem secularists have with morals is foundational. What is the foundational claim for morality in a universe where I am a collection of space junk floating on an outbound rock bound for destruction?

Who cares? I should make myself happy by whatever means necessary for however long I desire. That is not a religious argument. It is a reasonable one

Parsing out the difference between ethics and morals is semantics. The problem secularists have with morals is foundational. What is the foundational claim for morality in a universe where I am a collection of space junk floating on an outbound rock bound for destruction?

Who cares? I should make myself happy by whatever means necessary for however long I desire. That is not a religious argument. It is a reasonable one
We only go around once. We absolutely should be able to do what feels good for as long as we can. Unfortunately there are others who feel we should only have fun that is free of temptation and vice. We call them Christians.

I can't imagine what any church has to offer a young person other than an excellent opportunity to get molested.

A church in my neighborhood has a free pancake breakfast twice a month, so at least there is syrupy goodness to be had if one is so inclined.

A church in my neighborhood has a free pancake breakfast twice a month, so at least there is syrupy goodness to be had if one is so inclined.
Eating is the only self-indulgent activity they allow. It's why the Golden Corral hog trough is always packed after church.

Eating is the only self-indulgent activity they allow. It's why the Golden Corral hog trough is always packed after church.

Our Golden Corral is sitting empty. Governor Blackface killed it off last year. If you want pancakes, it is IHOP or nuthin' in these parts.

We only go around once. We absolutely should be able to do what feels good for as long as we can. Unfortunately there are others who feel we should only have fun that is free of temptation and vice. We call them Christians.

So if my temptation means I want to bang someone who doesn't want to bang me, take that person by force, right? That's what you're saying?

Can you say why sodomy should be the subject of any law without talking about God?
Sure, especially in times before antibiotics. What begins as a personal health risk spread throughout the community. Now that we have drugs, we can commit sodomy. There are still health risks, but mostly they remain a personal choice.

Assigning laws to God can often be traced to community welfare. STDs are managed better today.

You are DEFINITELY talking about Southern Baptists. Don't be so narrow minded. We had our pastor and wife here for dinner a couple months ago. Red wine was on the menu. Not ALL Christians abstain from drink, beer, tattoos, whatever. That's a lot of legalism.

Our Golden Corral is sitting empty. Governor Blackface killed it off last year. If you want pancakes, it is IHOP or nuthin' in these parts.
Probably saved a few coronaries there. Gluttony is supposed to be a sin but you couldn't tell it from the fat asses waddling into church every Sunday.

While we only go around once, some of what we do can adversely affect how we go around. Tobacco, alcohol, drugs, gluttony, sloth, sex in our teens and twenties can have adverse effects for decades beyond our younger years--which last longer than youth,. There is much to enjoy and value in life than simply what feels good to the body at a point in time. Some have learned this and have passed along their insights. We call these people wise. Some may even be Christian.

While we only go around once, some of what we do can adversely affect how we go around. Tobacco, alcohol, drugs, gluttony, sloth, sex in our teens and twenties can have adverse effects for decades beyond our younger years--which last longer than youth,. There is much to enjoy and value in life than simply what feels good to the body at a point in time. Some have learned this and have passed along their insights. We call these people wise. Some may even be Christian.
Self-denial is a central part to nearly every religion there is. You somehow gain character by not doing things that are interesting or thrilling. Not sure how that's supposed to work.

Self-denial is a central part to nearly every religion there is. You somehow gain character by not doing things that are interesting or thrilling. Not sure how that's supposed to work.
Actually, what is central is moderation, or recognizing the boundaries. For example, fire in the fireplace, good. Burning down the house, not good.

Forum List

Back