Cop refuses to work Gay Pride parade

So, if there was a parade that celebrated men fucking their wives in the ass while whipping them -- consensually, of course -- and a female cop refused to work that parade would there be an issue?

Yeah, although I doubt you'll get many people interested in this parade of yours. Sounds like a real niche population.

Look up the Folsom Street Fair sometime, they love that kind of thing.

He has an assignment - you cannot pick and choose your jobs when you are a cop.

Exactly right. Only an idiot would think it is okay to pick and choose your job assignment when you are a police officer. Only someone who doesn't know anything of the real world would even consider it should be an option.

Which is why they never ask for volunteers for dangerous undercover work, they just pick random cops and throw them under the bus.

Seriously, do you even know what the word think means?

Protection is not participation.

No, no religious exemption exists for an employee not to work during a gay parade.

At least four of the working huge male motorcycle cops today I saw at the parade were wearing the pink neck scarves attesting to their homosexuality.

We live two blocks from the parade route. Beautiful day for the parade, with tens of thousands down town for the event.

No, the case that firefighters won involved requiring them to PARTICIPATE. I have written about police protection of the KKK in my town, black officers were there also.
Public service employees do indeed have a right to religious accommodation, and be excused from specific tasks. For instance, in Sept 2013 some police officers were excused from working at the gay parade in Columbia South Carolina because the event was in conflict with their faith. Religious accommodation can go ahead provided it does not pose undue hardship to the department. It is up to the employee to inquire prior to accepting the job.

That makes no sense.

A cops job is to protect and serve.

Should cops not protect those of opposing religious views?
They can protect everyone, just not attend specific events, like gay weddings or gay parades. That's where religious accommodation comes in.

Do Public Employees Have Accommodation Rights Under Other Laws?

In addition to Title VII, public employees can seek religious accommodations under the First Amendment and other state laws. The First Amendment's free exercise clause may require a public employer to accommodate an employee's religious observance or practice. If the employer adversely treats religiously-motivated conduct compared to similar secular conduct, it can only justify its actions by demonstrating a narrow and compelling interest. Demonstrating such an interest is much more difficult than establishing an undue burden under Title VII. For instance, a U.S. Court of Appeals invalidated a police department policy prohibiting officers from wearing beards for religious reasons, but allowing beards for medical reasons.

http://www.adl.org/assets/pdf/civil-rights/religiousfreedom/religfreeres/ReligAccommodWPlace-docx.pdf

Last edited:
Provided that the officer doesn't participate in the drinking activities, protecting bars and liquor stores would not be an issue. Same applies to the gay parade. The officer cannot participate in the parade due to conflict with his faith. The very fact that he is there, makes him an automatic participant.

No, the case that firefighters won involved requiring them to PARTICIPATE. I have written about police protection of the KKK in my town, black officers were there also.
Public service employees do indeed have a right to religious accommodation, and be excused from specific tasks. For instance, in Sept 2013 some police officers were excused from working at the gay parade in Columbia South Carolina because the event was in conflict with their faith. Religious accommodation can go ahead provided it does not pose undue hardship to the department. It is up to the employee to inquire prior to accepting the job.

Yes, as I have posted. Perhaps he can receive unemployment, if he can prove his absence would have no impact on the department. If so, he was unnecessary in any event, now gone.:D

Would it be ok for someone doing public service work to discriminate who's life they saved? For example, a cop arrives on the scene where a victim needs mouth to mouth resuscitation. If the individual is known to the cop to be a homosexual, and the cop has religious beliefs that won't allow him to save the victim, what then? Call for backup?
The police officer in question can save anyone's life, and he can serve and protect anyone, without restriction. What he can't do is attend a gay parade or any other type of gay themed event as it is in conflict with his faith. Religious accommodation rules are there for this very reason, so the officer would not be forced to abandon his faith by attending a gay parade.

If all that has been worked out before hand, sure.

It wasn't. he worked the parade last year.

If that is true, it proves he isn't a bigot, yet you want to fire him because he is a bigot. Maybe he has other things planned for that day, like proposing to his boyfriend now that gay marriage is legal.

The police officer in question can save anyone's life, and he can serve and protect anyone, without restriction. What he can't do is attend a gay parade or any other type of gay themed event as it is in conflict with his faith. Religious accommodation rules are there for this very reason, so the officer would not be forced to abandon his faith by attending a gay parade.

If so, Department regulations still govern. Doing his job at the parade isn't "attending". Should his faith prohibit the use of alcohol, may he refuse to protect bars & liquor stores?

Some of the officers are actually required to march in the parade, I am pretty sure even you will admit that amounts to attending the parade.

No, no religious exemption exists for an employee not to work during a gay parade.

At least four of the working huge male motorcycle cops today I saw at the parade were wearing the pink neck scarves attesting to their homosexuality.

We live two blocks from the parade route. Beautiful day for the parade, with tens of thousands down town for the event.

No pink triangles? They should have worn pink triangles.

If so, Department regulations still govern. Doing his job at the parade isn't "attending". Should his faith prohibit the use of alcohol, may he refuse to protect bars & liquor stores?

Some of the officers are actually required to march in the parade, I am pretty sure even you will admit that amounts to attending the parade.
He should not be required to "march" in the parade; if he was ordered to provide security, and refused, his firing is justified. Two separate issues.

The thing is Jake, you have no idea what it is he objected to, or why, yet, like all the other radical lefties, you are just assuming he refused it because he hates gays, even though you made the claim that he worked the same event last year.

Funny how you are willing to wait and see when it makes Obama look bad, but already have the answers when it doesn't.

Last edited:

He should not be required to "march" in the parade; if he was ordered to provide security, and refused, his firing is justified. Two separate issues.

Well, the thing is, you have no idea what the issues here are, so you should stop pretending you have the answers.

He has an assignment - you cannot pick and choose your jobs when you are a cop.

Exactly right. Only an idiot would think it is okay to pick and choose your job assignment when you are a police officer. Only someone who doesn't know anything of the real world would even consider it should be an option.

Which is why they never ask for volunteers for dangerous undercover work, they just pick random cops and throw them under the bus.

thats not how it works either

thats not how it works either

No shit Sherlock.

Give the boy a gold star.

Well, the thing is, you have no idea what the issues here are, so you should stop pretending you have the answers.

In other words, you know nothing of the litigation involving firefighters who refused to PARTICIPATE in a Gay Pride march. Thanks for admitting you do not understand EMPLOYMENT law.

some cops TURNED down working for a freak show...omg it's the end of the world as we know it

Homosexuals can't just have normal decent parade, they have to be as outlandish as clowns, skimpy and tight clothes that show off their man baggage like, look at me.... and then they dress up as S&M, and bondage and slave clothing, and it the rediciouls just keeps on going....you know they want everyone to stay out their bedrooms, but then turn and flaunt it in your face and to children what they do in sex and in their bedrooms

I don't blame the cop, but listen to Jakie...he want TO MAKE them

some cops TURNED down working for a freak show...omg it's the end of the world as we know it

Homosexuals can't just have normal decent parade, they have to be as outlandish as clowns, skimpy and tight clothes that show off their man baggage like, look at me.... and then they dress up as S&M, and bondage and slave clothing, and it the rediciouls just keeps on going....you know they want everyone to stay out their bedrooms, but then turn and flaunt it in your face and to children what they do in sex and in their bedrooms

I don't blame the cop, but listen to Jakie...he want TO MAKE them

what did you copy and paste this from?

Quantam Windbag writes in part, "The thing is Jake, you have no idea what it is he objected to, or why, yet, like all the other radical lefties, you are just assuming he refused it because he hates gays, even though you made the claim that he worked the same event last year."

Let's clear the playing field.

You are far right, not mainstream.

I am mainstream, not far left.

I do know what the issue was, and you don't.

Yet you in your Big Government progressive right wing way spouts off not knowing what he is talking about and once again looks stupid.

Yup, that is you, to a T.

Forum List

Back