Cops in schools: The downside

If my 6 y/o child throws books and toys at his teacher in defiance and goes skitso....handcuffs work.

If my son stole 5 dollars I am cool with handcuffs.

You'd be OK with the school handcuffing your 6 year old for throwing a tantrum?

May I ask something? If you're that scared of your kids, why in the hell are you a parent?

Musta been one a hell of a "tantrum" where I dwell in the real world of school offcials and the law.

With the current push to place armed police officers in schools, perhaps we should look at what's happened in schools which have already done it.

The most striking effect is that more and more children are being pushed into the criminal justice system....from the schoolhouse! Discipline problems that used to be handled in the Principal's office now become legal issues as kids are written misdemeanor citations or charged with a crime.

Not surprisingly, Texas leads the nation:

"...Such criminal charges may be most prevalent in Texas, where police officers based in schools write more than 100,000 misdemeanor tickets each year..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/e...&_r=0&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130412

In a speech to the Texas Legislature last month, the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court put the figure at 300,000.

"...."We are criminalizing our children for nonviolent offenses," he said, offering the startling statistic that the state issues some 300,000 tickets in public schools each year..."

A Call to Arms | Texas Monthly

Do we really want to criminalize juvenile, school yard behavior? Do we really want our schools to become revenue generating centers for cash strapped cities and counties? What effect will it have on future generations who are compelled to attend schools where they are locked in and kept in line by armed cops? How is that much different from a prison? Is all that really worth defending against the highly unlikely event of an armed intrusion?

We're not talking about adults here, but children as young as elementary age.

I say no. It's not worth it.

This article isn't a bad reflection on putting armed guards in school.

This article is a bad reflection on Libtard Lawmakers making typical school age behavior crimes.

> This article is a bad reflection on Libtard Lawmakers making typical school age behavior crimes. - 2d Amendment

Great core point; not sure it is "just" the fake liberal element. In WV it is nutball white trash falling over themselves to get a cop for their school. Fortunately lawmakers here realize their constituencies have the attention span of shithouse rats, so there won't be a lot of that in WV - at least in this section.

The cause of the entire cake incident is due to an undisciplined rank of teenagers who think the world owes them and they don't have to do anything except satisfy their own wishes.

So, in typical Nazi fashion, the solution is to sic the cops on 'em and lock 'em all up?

So you have no example of a misdemeanor that should be overlooked ?

How about a schoolyard fight not involving weapons? How about talking back to a teacher? How about skipping class? How about being caught smoking a cigarette out back? How about using a curse word in the hallways?

In many places, any of those things can cause a kid to be arrested, booked and fined instead of being sent to the Principal's office for a "counseling" session. Those things aren't crimes: They're discipline problems and NO school needs an armed cop enforcing discipline. That's what we hire teachers and staff to do.

In other days a counseling session with the principal would involve a bare ass and a paddle so there were way fewer disciplinary problems.

Yes...psychos like you got all hot and wet at the thought of beating up a child! Seek professional help.

With the current push to place armed police officers in schools, perhaps we should look at what's happened in schools which have already done it.

The most striking effect is that more and more children are being pushed into the criminal justice system....from the schoolhouse! Discipline problems that used to be handled in the Principal's office now become legal issues as kids are written misdemeanor citations or charged with a crime.

"...Such criminal charges may be most prevalent in Texas, where police officers based in schools write more than 100,000 misdemeanor tickets each year..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/e...&_r=0&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130412

In a speech to the Texas Legislature last month, the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court put the figure at 300,000.

"...."We are criminalizing our children for nonviolent offenses," he said, offering the startling statistic that the state issues some 300,000 tickets in public schools each year..."

Do we really want to criminalize juvenile, school yard behavior? Do we really want our schools to become revenue generating centers for cash strapped cities and counties? What effect will it have on future generations who are compelled to attend schools where they are locked in and kept in line by armed cops? How is that much different from a prison? Is all that really worth defending against the highly unlikely event of an armed intrusion?

Simple solution, use armed security personnel, former military, former police, well trained sillyvillians, whatever, but without any law enforcement powers.

Simple solution, use armed security personnel, former military, former police, well trained sillyvillians, whatever, but without any law enforcement powers.

Rent-A-Cop's? They don't have a very good track record either.

However, that's a better idea than law enforcement.

Now I see why this is such a growing problem. A lot people in this thread don't see anything wrong with treating children as criminals for minor offenses, then blame "liberals" for it.

No wonder the country is going to hell in a hand basket. Y'all have seriously lost touch with reality.

I expect that they would feel differently if it were there own children involved. Or even if she didn't have a "nappy head"

Rent-A-Cop's? They don't have a very good track record either.

However, that's a better idea than law enforcement.

I was thinking a bit more qaulified than your average minimum wage mall cop which I why I specified for military, former police or WELL TRAINED sillyvillians. Your average rent a cop would be more dangerous than having no one at all.

Forum List

Back