Copycat Walmart Shooter Stopped by Man with a Gun

Someone who is openly carrying only turns into a mass murderer when they start shooting people.

It's impossible to determine if this guy was a psychopath or a "good guy with a gun".

He puts on fatigues and body armor, walks into a Walmart with tactical weapons and a 100 rounds of ammunition and you can’t tell if he is a good guy or a bad guy? Are you joking?

Just curious here, but which of those acts are illegal?
Someone who is openly carrying only turns into a mass murderer when they start shooting people.

It's impossible to determine if this guy was a psychopath or a "good guy with a gun".

He puts on fatigues and body armor, walks into a Walmart with tactical weapons and a 100 rounds of ammunition and you can’t tell if he is a good guy or a bad guy? Are you joking?

Just curious here, but which of those acts are illegal?

Why did they arrest him? You arrest good guys?

Sounds like someone wanted to test the limits of Missouri's open carry laws.

Probably not the best time to be doing that... what a dumbass...

The Springfield police described this incident in on their FB page. I'm following the comments and people there are asking the exact same thing: Why did they arrest him? What law did he break?

Missouri is an open-carry state. As far as I understand (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it's perfectly legal for him to enter the Wal-Mart openly carrying a long gun as long as he's not displaying it in a threatening manner.

Missouri allows open carry without a permit, so long as the firearm is not displayed in an angry or threatening manner.

According to RSMo Section 571.30, there is no age limit to openly carry a handgun, long gun or any deadly weapon.

Gun laws in Missouri - Wikipedia

And I could be wrong, but I also don't see anything about the amount of ammo one can hold. There's also nothing illegal about wearing body armor or fatigues. Now I agree with you that it should be illegal, but I don't think it is.

I think this kid was trying to create a viral video of freaking people out while remaining within the boundaries of the law, probably as a political statement. I don't think he was actually intending to kill people. Of course it's impossible to determine what his intentions are until he shoots someone.

If I'm correct here, and he has done nothing wrong, then he will be free to go. And if his intentions are bad, then he will be free to carry out this attack in the near future.

strange. sounds like he wanted to suicide by cop since he entered the store and never fired his weapon.

strange. sounds like he wanted to suicide by cop since he entered the store and never fired his weapon.
He was leading up to the dramatic finale, because he was filming the whole event on his phone narrating what he was going to do. Lucky he wasn't here in Floor E Da at my Walmart, I would of just come in behind him and blown his head all over the store. That would of made a great ending...

The Springfield police described this incident in on their FB page. I'm following the comments and people there are asking the exact same thing: Why did they arrest him? What law did he break?

Missouri is an open-carry state. As far as I understand (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), it's perfectly legal for him to enter the Wal-Mart openly carrying a long gun as long as he's not displaying it in a threatening manner.

Missouri allows open carry without a permit, so long as the firearm is not displayed in an angry or threatening manner.

According to RSMo Section 571.30, there is no age limit to openly carry a handgun, long gun or any deadly weapon.

Gun laws in Missouri - Wikipedia

And I could be wrong, but I also don't see anything about the amount of ammo one can hold. There's also nothing illegal about wearing body armor or fatigues. Now I agree with you that it should be illegal, but I don't think it is.

I think this kid was trying to create a viral video of freaking people out while remaining within the boundaries of the law, probably as a political statement. I don't think he was actually intending to kill people. Of course it's impossible to determine what his intentions are until he shoots someone.

If I'm correct here, and he has done nothing wrong, then he will be free to go. And if his intentions are bad, then he will be free to carry out this attack in the near future.

I actually see your point, after looking at it from your viewpoint, he did nothing wrong. Rarely do I change my mind but right is right. What he did was scary, potentially dangerous however he was well with in the law.

Sounds like a false arrest to me. He should sue. A clear civil rights violation.

Just happened to be an off duty fireman who saved who knows how many lives.

Off-duty firefighter stops man armed with 100 rounds of ammunition at south Springfield Walmart

Armed citizens who have guns when an attack happens are 94% effective at stopping the attacker and/or reducing deaths and injuries.

Armed Citizens Are Successful 94% Of The Time At Active Shooter Events [FBI]

Of all the active shooter events there were 33 at which an armed citizen was present. Of those, Armed Citizens were successful at stopping the Active shooter 75.8% of the time (25 incidents) and were successful in reducing the loss of life in an additional 18.2% (6) of incidents. In only 2 of the 33 incidents (6.1%) was the Armed Citizen(s) not helpful in any way in stopping the active shooter or reducing the loss of life.

Thus the headline of our report that Armed Citizens Are Successful 94% Of The Time At Active Shooter Events.

In the 2 incidents at which the armed citizen “failed” to stop or slow the active shooter, one is the previously mentioned incident with hunters. The other is an incident in which the CCWer was shot in the back in a Las Vegas Walmart when he failed to identify that there were 2 Active Shooters involved in the attack. He neglected to identify the one that shot him in the back while he was trying to ambush the other perpetrator.

We also decided to look at the breakdown of events that took place in gun free zones and the relative death toll from events in gun free zones vs non-gun-free zones.

Of the 283 incidents in our data pool, we were unable to identify if the event took place in a gun-free zone in a large number (41%) of the events. Most of the events took place at a business, church, home, or other places at which as a rule of law it is not a gun free zone but potentially could have been declared one by the property owner. Without any information in the FBI study or any indication one way or the other from the news reports, we have indicated that event with a question mark.

If you look at all of the Active Shooter events (pie chart on the top) you see that for those which we have the information, almost twice as many took place in gun free zones than not; but realistically the vast majority of those for which we have no information (indicated as ?) are probably NOT gun free zones.

If you isolate just the events at which 8 or more people were killed the data paints a different picture (pie chart on the bottom). In these incidents, 77.8% took place in a gun-free zone suggesting that gun free zones lead to a higher death rate vs active shooter events in general

=====

One of the final metrics we thought was important to consider is the potential tendency for armed citizens to injure or kill innocent people in their attempt to “save the day.” A common point in political discussions is to point out the lack of training of most armed citizens and the decrease in safety inherent in their presence during violent encounters.

As you can see below, however, at the 33 incidents at which Armed Citizens were present, there were zero situations at which the Armed Citizen injured or killed an innocent person. It never happened.

He wasn't shooting anyone.
Probably just one of your open carry idiots.
Of course you defend him.
Where did I defend him?
You people are nuts tonight.
You didn't defend him, you just RATIONALIZED his carrying 100 rounds of ammo.
Then had he actually killed a bunch of people, you'd be back all over the gun issue again.
Whadda idiot.
Remember this from a few years ago?

You kids thought it was just fine then.

targethopeA.jpg

Again....GOD BLESS that off duty fireman with a gun! :clap:

xNnPbf9.jpg

By the way, a great man once
Sounds like a false arrest to me. He should sue. A clear civil rights violation.
I dont think that will go well, when it clearly states that shoes and shirt required., doesnt mean body armor and a 100 rounds of ammo.

He wasn't shooting anyone.
Probably just one of your open carry idiots.
Of course you defend him.
Where did I defend him?
You people are nuts tonight.
You didn't defend him, you just RATIONALIZED his carrying 100 rounds of ammo.
Then had he actually killed a bunch of people, you'd be back all over the gun issue again.
Whadda idiot.
Remember this from a few years ago?

You kids thought it was just fine then.

View attachment 273477

It is rude, but still fine....they aren't breaking the law, are they?

Maybe his conscience made him think before shooting even if something inside him was a ticking time bomb. I think the firefighter made a very good call in a very unpleasant situation.

God bless the first responders to trouble. I know enough about firefighters to know they have seen everything (just about) and aren't afraid of anything except making sure their partners are safe. In fact, I completed a quilt today in honor of a firefighter that took several weeks in the making, but today, I just got it done. It's going to my dear friend who died of lung cancer on June 24 and was a firefighter. It had firefighter equipment, logos, and red fire engines on it and blue sashes to represent our local volunteer firefighters who had blue uniforms. He has 15 grandsons and 15 granddaughters. All the boys are getting firefighter quilts, if I can find some more first responder fabrics. I still have 8 yards left, and the backs will have football fields with footballs on them and other stuff future firefighters might like. The family does not want girls to be firefighters because it is a traditional girls are girls and boys are boys kind of family. And I am turning it over to the registered nurse his step daughter-in-law to distribute as she sees fit. It's their family, after all, and I hold them in great esteem without prejudice.

Forum List

Back