Cost of Pot in Calif to Rise 70% in 2018

pot isnt addictive. But nice try lol
Actually pot is addictive. And it causes severe mental problems as well.

Is marijuana addictive?

Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com
OK maybe 1 in 200 somehow get addicted to it. I know A LOT of weed smokers and none of them are addicted.
I was also told by an addiction counselor that isnt "psycologicaly" addictive. People get addicted to the habit. As rare as it is.
Ask them to give it up for 2 months. They can’t.
I had to give it up for 6 months for basic and AIT...
Yeah, but the schizophrenia....
The one where I thought I saw God?

This could be great for the economy if they werent so damn stupid.
Legalizing it just to make it so expensive the black market still thrives seems redundant.

A price cutting black market still has less profit margin than a "banned" black market, so they might still see some crime reduction.

Although the pot selling business never had even close to the violence level as the Heroin or Cocaine trade.

Legalizing it just to make it so expensive the black market still thrives seems redundant.
I suspect the politicians are in league with the black market.

Actually, it's that the politicians see a popular product that they can tax the crap out of and they are using that as another revenue stream.

Nope, I don't think that the politicians are in league with the black market. Both groups hate competition.
Black market for pot is well established. I predicted years ago the cartels would kill legal pot by undercutting the price.

It’s happening.

For some of the more greedy cartels I don't think the undercutting black market will have the profit margins they seek. Probably they will go into harder drugs or into some other racket.

Hey that's the beauty of addiction. No matter how high the price is, there will be customers.
Actually pot is addictive. And it causes severe mental problems as well.

Is marijuana addictive?

Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

Most of that research is checking on use by kids who started at a young age. If it is legalized, it will only be sold to people over the age of 21 like alcohol is.

Yeah, I know, kids will be able to get pot, but they are also able to get alcohol as well, and alcohol is much more addictive, as well as does more damage to the body than marijuana does.

But if adults use marijuana? Almost a zero chance of physical addiction. Yeah, you can ask about being mentally addicted, but people can become mentally addicted to things like video games, the internet, other people (called codependency), shopping, gambling, eating, etc.

Marijuana is a lot less harmful than alcohol. And, alcohol is far more addictive.

My World of Warcraft addiction was far worse than anything else. 4 years clean now....

Only California could legalize pot and still make black markets more attractive than ever.

California will include a 15% levy on all cannabis sales in the state, including medical pot products, starting in January. Meanwhile, local governments are also adding taxes for sellers and growers that could result in a 70% increase in the price of a small bag of good quality marijuana in parts of the state.

Between state and local taxes, some buyers will see an effective tax as high as 45% on adult-use cannabis in California. Proponents of legalization have long pointed to the collection of state and local taxes on marijuana sales as a big benefit.

The new cannabis industry in the state has a projected value of $7 billion with the potential to collect $1 billion per year in tax revenue. But industry leaders in California claim that the high taxes give illicit vendors the upper hand.

“High tax rates raise prices in legal markets, reinforcing the price advantage of black markets,” the global credit ratings firm Fitch Ratings said in a report. “California’s black markets for cannabis were well established long before its voters legalized cannabis in November 2016 and are expected to dominate post-legalization production.”

Why California Marijuana Taxes Could Cause Prices to Jump 70% in 2018
Irrefutable proof that leftist will fuck up a wet dream.

then tax it

The higher the cost the better, in my mind. Fewer people buying it legally means more opportunities for the DEA to arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate these immoral fucks.

Actually, it's that the politicians see a popular product that they can tax the crap out of and they are using that as another revenue stream.

Nope, I don't think that the politicians are in league with the black market. Both groups hate competition.
Black market for pot is well established. I predicted years ago the cartels would kill legal pot by undercutting the price.

It’s happening.

For some of the more greedy cartels I don't think the undercutting black market will have the profit margins they seek. Probably they will go into harder drugs or into some other racket.
They will undercut the price of pot for as long as needed to kill the market in Calif. They have plenty of income to hand it out for free for years if they want.

Only California could legalize pot and still make black markets more attractive than ever.

California will include a 15% levy on all cannabis sales in the state, including medical pot products, starting in January. Meanwhile, local governments are also adding taxes for sellers and growers that could result in a 70% increase in the price of a small bag of good quality marijuana in parts of the state.

Between state and local taxes, some buyers will see an effective tax as high as 45% on adult-use cannabis in California. Proponents of legalization have long pointed to the collection of state and local taxes on marijuana sales as a big benefit.

The new cannabis industry in the state has a projected value of $7 billion with the potential to collect $1 billion per year in tax revenue. But industry leaders in California claim that the high taxes give illicit vendors the upper hand.

“High tax rates raise prices in legal markets, reinforcing the price advantage of black markets,” the global credit ratings firm Fitch Ratings said in a report. “California’s black markets for cannabis were well established long before its voters legalized cannabis in November 2016 and are expected to dominate post-legalization production.”

Why California Marijuana Taxes Could Cause Prices to Jump 70% in 2018

looks like another boom for the illegal black market pot trade

--LOL

maybe they can stop illegal blackmarket weed

by really really raising taxes on the law abiding

in much the same way they want to do with firearms

It’s happening.

They will undercut the price of pot for as long as needed to kill the market in Calif. They have plenty of income to hand it out for free for years if they want.

You are thinking like a legitimate businessperson and not a criminal businessperson. The profits they can get from the "under" black market" doesn't justify the risk of prosecution on unreported income and tax evasion, which are far easier to prove then other criminal activities.

It’s happening.

You are thinking like a legitimate businessperson and not a criminal businessperson. The profits they can get from the "under" black market" doesn't justify the risk of prosecution on unreported income and tax evasion, which are far easier to prove then other criminal activities.
Do you really think the Mexican Mafia really cares?

It’s happening.

I think the Mexican mafia would double down on Cocaine and Heroin instead, as they have the higher profit margins.

It’s happening.

I think the Mexican mafia would double down on Cocaine and Heroin instead, as they have the higher profit margins.
They prefer to control everything. Watch in about a year you will start hearing of pot store owners turning up dead.

They prefer to control everything. Watch in about a year you will start hearing of pot store owners turning up dead.

I just don't think the reward is there for that risk. For all the violence these people do, the end goal is the same as any other criminal cartel, money. They are not going to risk all out war with police departments over legal pot shops because the profit will simply not be there.

That being said I agree California is stupid for having such high taxes on that, but like Colorado, they may see the light and adjust it as time goes on.

Hey that's the beauty of addiction. No matter how high the price is, there will be customers.
When you've been smoking it for twenty plus years, that's proof it's addictive. The Fed should fine States who allow the illegal use of pot.

Actually that would be an interesting suit.

Why does the Federal government have any right to tell States what drugs can be legal within the State?

So much for states rights.

I have been eating mash potatoes for 30 years- and while I do enjoy them- I am not addicted to them.

Pot has been legal in Colorado now for 3 years now. Still no pot store owners turning up dead.

The cartels have been shifting to higher profit drugs for years- to much competition from legal and local pot- and pot is much more difficult to smuggle in than heroin and ecstasy.

Forum List

Back