Costco makes decision about $1.50 hot dog-and-soda combo as inflation soars

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A top Costco Wholesale executive confirmed the big-box retailer has no plans to change the price of its $1.50 hot dog-and-soda combo at its stores despite months of decades-high inflation.

Costco CFO Richard Galanti reiterated the cheap price point on the fan-favorite deal would stay in place during the company's fourth-quarter earnings call on Thursday.

An analyst asked whether Costco was adjusting prices in other parts of its business to maintain sales margins for its hot dog-and-soda deal and other value offerings.

"Lightning just struck me," Galanti joked when the combo was mentioned. He added that higher-margin businesses such as gas and travel sales help Costco maintain its value deals.

"Those things help us be more aggressive in other areas, or as you mentioned, hold the price on the hot dog and the soda a little longer forever," Galanti added.

Costco and other retailers have hiked prices over the last year, passing along the higher costs of commodities and goods to consumers. Inflation has slightly declined in recent months but was still hovering at a hotter-than-expected 8.3% in August.

Galanti estimated that price inflation at Costco was about 8% during the fourth quarter, with increases “a little higher on the food and sundries side.”

Costco doesn’t have any immediate plans to hike its membership fees, according to the executive. Annual membership dues at the retailer currently start at $60.

mOAR

As long as they leave my roasted chicken alone I'll be fine. ;)

They did cut costs a bit by no longer offering the sweet onion relish they used to have.

$1.50 Hot Dogs and Soda are a loss leader for Costco

It gets people into the store and they probably break even or even make a little money on it.

It's not just Costco.
Restaurants are raising their prices due to Biden's inflation crisis.
It costs a lot more to eat out nowadays.
Biden is going to cause even more unemployment problems when restaurants start going out of business.

It's not just Costco.
Restaurants are raising their prices due to Biden's inflation crisis.
It costs a lot more to eat out nowadays.
Biden is going to cause even more unemployment problems when restaurants start going out of business.

oh, for the good old days,,,

1664032604486.png

Why would anyone pay a membership fee to shop?

Well, when you need the 700 pack of Skittles, where else are you going to go?

I've got an executive account with Costco, and we save huge amounts of money. We have a Keurig machine in every break room. Now, shopping at Costco for K-cups wouldn't make sense for my Mom, who probably drinks two cups of coffee a day, max, but when you've got 150 people drinking multiple cups a day, it makes sense to buy in volume. That's where the benefit of paying for the membership comes in.

Also, their prices can be quite a bit lower than other stores. We bought three Samsung 70" televisions for the break rooms at $579 a piece. Amazon sells the same television for $629. Just with those alone, my $120 membership saved me $150.

It doesn't make sense for everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense...

$1.50 Hot Dogs and Soda are a loss leader for Costco

It gets people into the store and they probably break even or even make a little money on it.

It's actually not a loss leader.

The $1.50 deal costs Costco in the neighborhood of 70¢...

A top Costco Wholesale executive confirmed the big-box retailer has no plans to change the price of its $1.50 hot dog-and-soda combo at its stores despite months of decades-high inflation.

Costco CFO Richard Galanti reiterated the cheap price point on the fan-favorite deal would stay in place during the company's fourth-quarter earnings call on Thursday.

An analyst asked whether Costco was adjusting prices in other parts of its business to maintain sales margins for its hot dog-and-soda deal and other value offerings.

"Lightning just struck me," Galanti joked when the combo was mentioned. He added that higher-margin businesses such as gas and travel sales help Costco maintain its value deals.

"Those things help us be more aggressive in other areas, or as you mentioned, hold the price on the hot dog and the soda a little longer forever," Galanti added.

Costco and other retailers have hiked prices over the last year, passing along the higher costs of commodities and goods to consumers. Inflation has slightly declined in recent months but was still hovering at a hotter-than-expected 8.3% in August.

Galanti estimated that price inflation at Costco was about 8% during the fourth quarter, with increases “a little higher on the food and sundries side.”

Costco doesn’t have any immediate plans to hike its membership fees, according to the executive. Annual membership dues at the retailer currently start at $60.

mOAR

As long as they leave my roasted chicken alone I'll be fine. ;)

They did cut costs a bit by no longer offering the sweet onion relish they used to have.
It is called "Loss leaders"
In the printing industry it is items like business cards.
You do this low cost thing at or below cost to draw more profitable business.
And then you have businesses where the main draw is the loss like a gas station. They make literally pennies off of selling gas. They make 300%-500% profit off of the snacks and impulse items in the store.

It is called "Loss leaders"
In the printing industry it is items like business cards.
You do this low cost thing at or below cost to draw more profitable business.
And then you have businesses where the main draw is the loss like a gas station. They make literally pennies off of selling gas. They make 300%-500% profit off of the snacks and impulse items in the store.

Even at a buck 50 I doubt they are losing money on it

They actually make the hot dogs as in the weiner.
They're supposedly high quality.
I wouldnt eat one just because sitting down and eating a hot dog is the last thing on my mind when I go shopping.

If you buy a pack of hot dogs you are paying about 80 cents per dog. Another 25 cents for the bun.

So, their cost would be less than that.

Soda from a fountain is dirt cheap.

So, even at a buck 50 they are not losing money

If you buy a pack of hot dogs you are paying about 80 cents per dog. Another 25 cents for the bun.

So, their cost would be less than that.

Soda from a fountain is dirt cheap.

So, even at a buck 50 they are not losing money

I didnt say they were.
While I like a good hotdog now and then they're the last thing on my mind when going shopping.
I want to get in and get out.

Even at a buck 50 I doubt they are losing money on it
I did some financial figuring for a person who opened a pizza place about 15 years ago.
Back then, if I remember right, including all cost a large soda was going to cost him $.14 including the ice and cup/lid.
I think his opening charge was $1.75.
Pizza is a good business to be in. It has very little cost. I think I remember a small cheese pizza costed him $.27 in the dough/sauce/cheese.
Uisng the 3/3/3 method. That meant the real cost for the large soda was $.42 and the pizza $.81 total $1.23. Which he would have been selling the two together for about $6.
This is precisely why there are so many Pizza restaurants.

Forum List

Back