Could all Religions Come Together?

I care because perhaps it is better for people to share what God is doing for them here and now instead of telling others what they believe God will do to others after this life is over.
That's part of proselytizing. But the afterlife IS the central message of all religions, not some sort of wealth gospel

You have conflated Christians who were pushy and treated you poorly, with Orthodox Christian beliefs, with standard Biblical beliefs, and put it all the same stewpot of Atrocious Things.
Perhaps calling fellow people of faith heretics, non-believers, non-Christian, and bringing up hell is still atrocious? Recall Jesus teaching us that sin begins in the heart? If a heart has these feelings against those who do not march lock-step with them, is that not atrocious according to what Jesus taught?

Why not tell us what God has done for you, and the blessings being his disciple is doing for you instead of telling the rest of us what is wrong with us?

If you don't believe that, why do you care, except as a teaching moment. As a CHRISTIAN, I believe Jesus. Why does that matter to you? Your beliefs don't matter to me.
I just explained. I don’t care AT ALL that you believe in Jesus. i care that the Christian religion teaches that Gd is angry at Jews and will damn them to hell because of the CONSEQUENCES that Jews have suffered for 2000 years as a result - and I have endured personally.

Why can’t you understand that hateful beliefs about another religion - in this case, that Gd sends Jews to hell - leads to horrific outcomes and THAT is what I am objecting to?
So Christians and Muslims MUST GIVE UP THEIR BELIEFS so Jews feel better? Ain't gonna happen sister. I think Jews and Muslims and Catholics should all agree with me. Too much hate around here 😂

But the afterlife IS the central message of all religions
I don't agree with it the afterlife being central to all religions. Jews, and therefore Catholic Apostolic Traditions have us focusing on this life, the here and now, the birthplace of eternal life. We focus on how to live this life and are told this life is the pathway to eternal life. The afterlife is indeed a part of the message, but not the central focus. As it should be.

Perhaps calling fellow people of faith heretics, non-believers, non-Christian, and bringing up hell is still atrocious? Recall Jesus teaching us that sin begins in the heart? If a heart has these feelings against those who do not march lock-step with them, is that not atrocious according to what Jesus taught?

Why not tell us what God has done for you, and the blessings being his disciple is doing for you instead of telling the rest of us what is wrong with us?
Exactly! I once went to a Jewish conference, and an Evangelical registered under false pretenses because he saw a way to try to convert Jews. As I was walking back to my hotel, he followed me, telling me how I was going to go to hell.

So I told him that Jews have a separate covenant with Gd, and that it is for ALL generations. I remember his exact words when I said that: “well you are wrong, and I’ll explain why.” WTF? Who asked him? Why after coming out of a Jewish conference do I have to get accosted by him, and be forced to listen to him tell me how wrong I am?

I don't agree with it the afterlife being central to all religions. Jews, and therefore Catholic Apostolic Traditions have us focusing on this life, the here and now, the birthplace of eternal life. We focus on how to live this life and are told this life is the pathway to eternal life. The afterlife is indeed a part of the message, but not the central focus. As it should be.
When this life is over, what we left behind will be as NOTHING. God inhabits the real world and that's where His focus is for us. Our temporary life is grass withering away in the hot summer sun. It only lasts s less than a day

So Christians and Muslims MUST GIVE UP THEIR BELIEFS so Jews feel better? Ain't gonna happen sister. I think Jews and Muslims and Catholics should all agree with me.
This Catholic does not agree with you for the simple reason Lisa is far from saying we should give up our beliefs. Our belief is that we should love our neighbor, even our enemies. Lisa is not the enemy, but the mirror of our behavior. Do we like what we see?

This Catholic does not agree with you for the simple reason Lisa is far from saying we should give up our beliefs. Our belief is that we should love our neighbor, even our enemies. Lisa is not the enemy, but the mirror of our behavior. Do we like what we see?
I'm comfortable

And what we take with us (who we are, what we have created within ourselves, is everything. What about our treasure that was stored in heaven?
Like I said. I'm comfortable. Maybe instead of proselytizing, you should take your own (and Lisa's) advice. If that carries weight with you

My Christian religion doesn't teach that. You're either lying or listening to the wrong people. Maybe move on?
Maybe your branch of Christianity doesn’t teach that. But many do, and we see the results: blood libel, expulsions, the Holocaust, and on and on.

Is not a Jew allowed to object to the horrific results that at least some branches teach: that Jews are going to hell. I would have a much larger family if half of them hadn’t been murdered due to the hate engendered by at least some Christian teachings. Did you listen to the venom with which Irish Ram spoke of Jews?

And what we take with us (who we are, what we have created within ourselves, is everything. What about our treasure that was stored in heaven?
You know, I’m starting to realize a negative to the idea that belief in Jesus is all it takes to get to Heaven, and good works don’t matter. It excuses Christians, like Irish Ram, from spewing all sorts of nasty venom because she feels so certain she is going to Heaven, “saved” from sin due to belief in Jesus, that she can get away with any time of behavior.

Too bad Christianity doesn’t teach that it’s a combination - belief in Jesus AND being a good person. That would have prevented a lot of heartache for Jews.

I once went to a Jewish conference, and an Evangelical registered under false pretenses because he saw a way to try to convert Jews. As I was walking back to my hotel, he followed me, telling me how I was going to go to hell.
I don't know if this helps at all, but some Christian denominations delight in telling other Christian denominations (primarily Catholics) that they are going to hell. It is almost as though they have been told there is no need to look after their own soul, so they go in search of another soul to tend. One of the adverse side-effects of "Once saved, always saved." Should come with a warning that it might cause one to act like a busy-body. ;)

From one who has heard those same words...water off a duck's back. I find that the beauty of the nearest flower makes all things right with the world once more.

It doesn’t bother me in the abstract that Fundamental Christians (some - not all) think Jews are going to hell. In my mind, it ridiculous…so let them think that. Fundamental Muslims think Jews are offspring of ape and pig, and that really doesn’t bother me either. Just as ridiculous.

Where it bothers me on a macro-level is knowing where these beliefs have led. We have Muslims who wish to drive Israel out to sea, killing all Jews; and of course we have had all sorts of horrific things done to Jews by Christians - from expulsions to blood libel to the most well-know hate, the Holocaust - so these beliefs can and have been very dangerous.

And on a micro-level, it bothers me when Christians harass me with all sorts of dire warnings about how angry Gd is with the Jews, as well as well a Christian professor gives a 19-year-old Jewish girl a C for A work and then screams out in anger “but this girl doesn’t believe the Gospels!” In front of a review committee.

Why can’t you understand that hateful beliefs about another religion - in this case, that Gd sends Jews to hell - leads to horrific outcomes and THAT is what I am objecting to?

You were fine until you got to the last paragraph. God's free offer of His grace is not a personal vendetta against the Jews. God was sending ME to Hell before I put my full trust in Jesus Christ.

God extends that offer to everyone without regard to race, culture, or religion. There is neither slave nor free, nor Jew or Gentile, for we are all one in Christ Jesus.

I wish you would separate all the wrong that has been done to the Jews with just standard Christian beliefs, which you feel is the root cause of ALL evil toward Jews. It's not by a long shot. The Nazi regime were FAR from Christian, though they tragically roped some Christians into their demonic scheme. Muslims, who persecute and hate Jews, are not Christian.

Or take another tactic here. I know you reject and maybe even resent my Savior, and that's fine. You are free to do so. It doesn't bother me. That's your right.

But it REALLY bothers you that people hold Orthodox Christian beliefs, and you are extremely judgmental about it.

I don't know if this helps at all, but some Christian denominations delight in telling other Christian denominations (primarily Catholics) that they are going to hell. It is almost as though they have been told there is no need to look after their own soul, so they go in search of another soul to tend. One of the adverse side-effects of "Once saved, always saved." Should come with a warning that it might cause one to act like a busy-body. ;)

From one who has heard those same words...water off a duck's back. I find that the beauty of the nearest flower makes all things right with the world once more.
I never heard that saying, “once saved, always saved,” but that attitude does explain both what you and I have said.

And Interesting that Christians tell Catholics* that they are going to hell, too. But I think it’s worse with Jews because they seem to be the “conversion targets” of Evangelicals.

*I was about 10 or 12 years old when I first realized there was a distinction between Christians and Catholics, and to tell the truth, I’m still unclear. Wouldn’t everyone who believes in Christ be a Christian? And if Catholics believe in Jesus, why do other Christians think they’re going to hell?

You know, I’m starting to realize a negative to the idea that belief in Jesus is all it takes to get to Heaven, and good works don’t matter. It excuses Christians, like Irish Ram, from spewing all sorts of nasty venom because she feels so certain she is going to Heaven, “saved” from sin due to belief in Jesus, that she can get away with any time of behavior.

Too bad Christianity doesn’t teach that it’s a combination - belief in Jesus AND being a good person. That would have prevented a lot of heartache for Jews.
In fact, Jesus called us to good works and his life centered on good works. He flatly stated once that good works would result with being with his sheep, lack of these works would put his followers with the goats.

The Christian denominations that decided good works don't matter, were sneaky about it. They conflated the issue, claiming those who were doing good works were trying to "earn" their way into heaven. In fact, good works have nothing to do with heaven, they have to do with loving God and loving one's neighbor. Heaven is a gift of God, not His "paycheck" to us for good works. Good works are expected; they are not an "Admit One" entrance ticket into heaven.

Some denominations teach that while their denomination are prompted to perform good works due to their baptism, baptized Catholics, simply by definition, are only doing good works to earn their way into heaven. Grin. We Catholics can't do anything right! ;)

norwegen

Read it again. It's not about destroying the world or destroying all life.
The Gentile age came after the collapse of the Jewish Age, when the Jews’ temple, culture, economy, government, and way of life went up in smoke.

A thousand years? What an insignificant and meaningless interval of time.

The two witnesses can be explained easily enough, but not to fundamentalist and evangelical Christians (among others).

ROFLMAO written by Matthew ---another roman
shill who was "APPOINTED" to a lucrative job
for his faithfulness to ROME. For the record--
neither mint, dill or cumin was subject to tithe.
----it is reasonable to believe that Matthew
included them in his rant in order to reveal that
he was writing BULLSHIT
“But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. Woe to you Pharisees! For you love the best seat in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces. Woe to you! For you are like unmarked graves, and people walk over them without knowing it.”​
Luke 11:42-44​
“Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.”​
Luke 12:1​

Before you change the goal posts again, maybe consider that this sentiment is expressed throughout the New Testament, not the least of which is from Paul.

Conversely, can you post some warning of impending doom that Jesus or anyone in the NT is issuing against the Romans?

Forum List

Back