COVID-19 Trump should have acted earlier?

This was written on March 23.

Originally Posted by Sandy Shanks View Post

For those who contract the disease "80% get what feels like a bad cold and recover at home." COVID-19: What we know so far about the 2019 novel coronavirus - UChicago Medicine
Many did not even know they had the virus.

However, there is this from Business Insider, "80% of deaths associated with COVID-19 were among adults aged ≥65 years with the highest percentage of severe outcomes among persons aged ≥85 years."80% of US coronavirus deaths have been among people 65 and older, a new CDC report says — here's what it reveals about the US cases

This was written at a later date.

Originally Posted by Sandy Shanks View Post

COVID-19 has spread rapidly through nursing homes across New York, infecting nearly 4,200 elderly residents considered particularly vulnerable to the virus and killing more than 1,200, according to new state Health Department data.

The staggering figures show a dramatic rise in coronavirus cases and fatalities at state-licensed nursing homes that are home to 100,000 residents.

There are now 4,170 confirmed COVID-19 positive cases at 312 New York nursing homes — more than half of all such facilities — along with 1,231 resident deaths, the data shows. Nearly 30 percent of all nursing home residents who contract COVID-19 eventually die from the virus, the data shows.

The latest data represents a 606% increase in nursing home cases, and a 1,331% hike in deaths since March 26.

New NY data shows COVID-19's devastating effect on nursing homes | Newsday

CNBC reports, "An estimated 13.9% of the New Yorkers have likely had Covid-19, according to preliminary results of coronavirus antibody testing released by Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday."

This is important.

"The state randomly tested 3,000 people at grocery stores and shopping locations across 19 counties in 40 localities to see if they had the antibodies to fight the coronavirus, indicating they have had the virus and recovered from it," Cuomo said.

These people had been infected by the virus but didn't know it.

"With more than 19.4 million people residents, according to U.S. Census data, the preliminary results indicate that at least 2.7 million New Yorkers have been infected with Covid-19."

This test helps to confirm what I have been saying all along. Healthy people, regardless of age, are unaffected by this virus, unless you count the effects of the common cold which occurs with some, although many are asymptomatic, according to other studies.It's Estimated 1 in 4 Coronavirus Carriers Could Be Asymptomatic. Here's What We Know

I wager it is a lot more than 25%. In this study 420 people went to the market and discovered they had been infected by Covid=19.

Deaths occur overwhelmingly in the sick and elderly, many of whom were already in a nursing home or hospital, along with the poor and the homeless who are bereft of health insurance. Reports of deaths not in those categories are so rare they make the six o'clock news and we are not informed of their condition.

Deaths occur overwhelmingly in the sick and elderly, many of whom were already in a nursing home or hospital, along with the poor and the homeless who are bereft of health insurance. Reports of deaths not in those categories are so rare they make the six o'clock news and we are not informed of their condition.

A great amount of publicity has been made of the supposedly first death from the coronavirus.

For example the L.A. Times had this to say.

"A mystery clouded the death of Patricia Dowd in early February.

"The San Jose woman was a seemingly healthy 57-year-old who exercised routinely, watched her diet and took no medication. She had flu-like symptoms for a few days, then appeared to recover, a family member said. Then she was found dead Feb. 6, and the initial culprit appeared to be a heart attack.

"This week, authorities confirmed to Dowd’s family that she tested positive for the novel coronavirus, making her the first such documented fatality in the nation."

No doubt in my mind the M.E. knows a heart attack when he/she sees one.

Conclusion: Dowd died of a heart attack while at the same time being infected by Covid-19.

Nowhere in this article and not on any news video I have seen is it directly stated Dowd died of Covid-19. We are simply told she died while afflicted by the virus just as we are afflicted by various viruses throughout our lifetime.

First known U.S. coronavirus death was in the Bay Area - Los Angeles Times

thanks for the stats. ALL important----HOWEVER da real problem is that so many jerks out there have no idea how to interpret them. LOTS AND LOTS of viral
infectious thingys are either very mild or unnoticed.
BUT THAT FACT, IN NO WAY, suggests that some are
POTENTIALLY so devastating that very draconian
public health measures are warranted.
SHEEEEESH

A great amount of publicity has been made of the supposedly first death from the coronavirus.

For example the L.A. Times had this to say.

"A mystery clouded the death of Patricia Dowd in early February.

"The San Jose woman was a seemingly healthy 57-year-old who exercised routinely, watched her diet and took no medication. She had flu-like symptoms for a few days, then appeared to recover, a family member said. Then she was found dead Feb. 6, and the initial culprit appeared to be a heart attack.

"This week, authorities confirmed to Dowd’s family that she tested positive for the novel coronavirus, making her the first such documented fatality in the nation."

No doubt in my mind the M.E. knows a heart attack when he/she sees one.

Conclusion: Dowd died of a heart attack while at the same time being infected by Covid-19.

Nowhere in this article and not on any news video I have seen is it directly stated Dowd died of Covid-19. We are simply told she died while afflicted by the virus just as we are afflicted by various viruses throughout our lifetime.

First known U.S. coronavirus death was in the Bay Area - Los Angeles Times

actually ^^^^^ a fair analysis. The correct diagnosis could be determined by autopsy

Trump's execution of the matter has sucked. His administration has been all over the map in terms of message being sent out. This should have been Trump's defining moment to rise above politics and the idiots in the media but he immediately blew it.
Trump played it correctly. Yelling about a possible pandemic would have made investors jittery and would have caused the stock market to crash.

For the record-----lots of people were infected with the poliomyelitis virus-----long ago, with no ill effects too.
Even syphilis can spontaneously remit before it has a
chance to devastate. SO? do away with VDRL?

I agree a lot of the deaths are because of other illness or condition when ADDED to Covid it becomes fatal. And I agree in a good number of those cases the flue may have caused the same. But there is some reasonable argument to be made that with out Covid the death would not have occurred. But I don't think shutting the Country down was the right step.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe Trump was just pushing for the way he wanted it to be, that's why he kept having rally's & golfing. my problem is why everyone in a position of power did not push the science medical & procurement people to the front & let them handle it? this may be the worst, but is not our 1st virus.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe Trump was just pushing for the way he wanted it to be, that's why he kept having rally's & golfing. my problem is why everyone in a position of power did not push the science medical & procurement people to the front & let them handle it? this may be the worst, but is not our 1st virus.
Do medical professionals know the requirements for a stable economy? I don't think so. Fauci is an obstructionist who needs to go.

Forum List

Back