Crazy Vegan Mother

Of course it is.

You cannot tell me with any certainty that the soy formula would not have solved the problem. The woman was arrested for nothing.

It was NOT working. That's why they took the baby.
They took the baby because she chose to try something other than what the doctor advised.

The baby was SICK! Dehydrated and malnourished! What in the hell is WRONG with you?

Sorry but as i linked earlier a 10% weight loss in a breast fed newborn is not abnormal.

Seems to me that the doctor and the state overreacted.

It is not normal to lose 10% of body weight. The baby is supposed to be gaining weight. If not, then there is a problem. The child was diagnosed as malnourished and dehydrated. The baby was sick.
So the American pregnancy group is wrong and you are right?
Sorry don't think so.

Of course it is.

You cannot tell me with any certainty that the soy formula would not have solved the problem. The woman was arrested for nothing.

They took the baby because she chose to try something other than what the doctor advised.

I don't think is like treating diaper rash.

With malnourishment of an infant, there's not enough time to "try other things" for a while.

She was advised to take the baby to the hospital, by her baby's doctor, and she refused. End of story. Once she was in the hospital, she could talk about trying alternatives.
Here you go again with assumptions.

The kid lost some weight there was nothing mentioned about it being malnourished.

Monitoring your Newborns Weight Gain American Pregnancy Association

. A 5% weight loss is considered normal for a formula fed newborn. A 7%-10% loss is considered normal for the breastfed baby. Most babies should be back at birth weight by days 10-14 of life. If a baby loses a significant amount of weight, is sick or premature, it may take up to 3 weeks to get back to birth weight.

So it seems a 10% weight loss is normal for a breastfed baby.

Imagine that.
The baby was 12 days old and losing weight, so not close to back at birth weight. Any rational parent would be concerned.
She was concerned enough to go to a doctor.

As i said there is no evidence that her supplementing the baby's diet with a different formula than the doctor recommended would not have worked is there?

Seems to me the doctor was just pissed off because his advice wasn't taken as gospel.

Your opinion.

People have been having kids for millions of years even during times where the mother's body was depleted and malnourished. Yet we seem to have survived.

For all we know this kid would have been just fine
Not my opinion. Medical fact. 10 percent of a ten pound baby is one pound. That is a very big deal under normal circumstances. This retard managed to take that weight off and dehydrate the kid in just 12 days. Then she withheld any treatment and forced the cops to bust down her door. If they hadn't intervened the kid would be dead. And hilariously you'd be in the variation of this thread complaining why no one did anything.
No I wouldn't.

You have no proof that the kid would be dead or that the supplements she bought instead of the ones the doctor recommended would not have worked and as i posted earlier it seems that up to a 10% weight loss is not abnormal in a breast fed newborn.

That is a fact you are all ignoring here. And didn't i read that the kid weight 13 lbs even after this "drastic" weight loss?

13 lbs is average for a 12 week old newborn and this kid was just 12 days old

Your opinion.

People have been having kids for millions of years even during times where the mother's body was depleted and malnourished. Yet we seem to have survived.

Not my opinion. Medical fact. 10 percent of a ten pound baby is one pound. That is a very big deal under normal circumstances. This retard managed to take that weight off and dehydrate the kid in just 12 days. Then she withheld any treatment and forced the cops to bust down her door. If they hadn't intervened the kid would be dead. And hilariously you'd be in the variation of this thread complaining why no one did anything.
No I wouldn't.

You have no proof that the kid would be dead or that the supplements she bought instead of the ones the doctor recommended would not have worked and as i posted earlier it seems that up to a 10% weight loss is not abnormal in a breast fed newborn.

That is a fact you are all ignoring here. And didn't i read that the kid weight 13 lbs even after this "drastic" weight loss?

Her pediatrician diagnosed the baby, not any of us. He examined the baby and made a diagnosis. I will take his word over your word any day.

With malnourishment of an infant, there's not enough time to "try other things" for a while.

She was advised to take the baby to the hospital, by her baby's doctor, and she refused. End of story. Once she was in the hospital, she could talk about trying alternatives.

The kid lost some weight there was nothing mentioned about it being malnourished.

. A 5% weight loss is considered normal for a formula fed newborn. A 7%-10% loss is considered normal for the breastfed baby. Most babies should be back at birth weight by days 10-14 of life. If a baby loses a significant amount of weight, is sick or premature, it may take up to 3 weeks to get back to birth weight.

Imagine that.
The baby was 12 days old and losing weight, so not close to back at birth weight. Any rational parent would be concerned.

As i said there is no evidence that her supplementing the baby's diet with a different formula than the doctor recommended would not have worked is there?

Seems to me the doctor was just pissed off because his advice wasn't taken as gospel.

So then . . . just WHAT is it that you think happened? You think the doctor just wanted to be mean and take her baby away, or was he legitimately concerned with the child's health and felt that the mother was endangering the child?

Your opinion.

No I wouldn't.

Her pediatrician diagnosed the baby, not any of us. He examined the baby and made a diagnosis. I will take his word over your word any day.
And yet you use terms like
starving to death" and "malnourished" neither of which were used in any of the articles

I call that making up a diagnosis.

Imagine that.

So then . . . just WHAT is it that you think happened? You think the doctor just wanted to be mean and take her baby away, or was he legitimately concerned with the child's health and felt that the mother was endangering the child?
I think he overreacted as did the state by taking the kid away.

There was no effort made to see if the different formula the mother bought would have remedied the problem.

Since up to 10% weight loss is normal and the 12 day old kid was already as big as an average 12 week old it seems there was no immediate threat to the health of the child.

At least to those of us who choose to exercise a little common sense.

Looks like there's more to this story -

Victory: Markham regained custody of her child last week after he was taken away because she wanted to supplement her breast milk with a soy formula

Healthy: 'He's still on a soy formula – he's been on it, he likes it, he's doing well. He's growing healthy, and I can't ask for anything more,' Markham said outside the courtroom

Defensive: Caleb's grandfather, who has been caring for the boy, has said there is absolutely no child abuse in this case and that his daughter is a fit mother

Growing: Caleb, pictured here just days after being born, is now a healthy 17 pounds and is back in his mother's custody where he still consumes a vegan baby formula

1416233505472_wps_5_image001_png.jpg

1416233537329_Image_galleryImage_image002_png.JPG

1415888650282_wps_6_image003_png.jpg

1415803280331_wps_4_image001_png.jpg

Your opinion.

No I wouldn't.

starving to death" and "malnourished" neither of which were used in any of the articles

Yes, the pediatrician diagnosed the baby as being malnourished and dehydrated, and yes it is in the article that you obviously didn't read. Why do keep denying this? The doctor diagnosed the baby as being malnourished. Stop lying.

Vegan Mom Accused of Child Neglect Regains Custody of Infant - ABC News

A Florida mother accused of child neglect after a doctor found her infant to be malnourished has regained custody of her son, according to her lawyer.

Sarah Markham, 24, of Seminole County, Florida, lost custody of her child five months ago after a doctor directed her to a hospital because her infant son was malnourished and she didn’t immediately show up.

She told ABC News affiliate WFTV-TV in Orlando, Florida that she was “ecstatic” to have her son back.

“I'm just so excited ecstatic and about getting him back this whole thing was a nightmare,” Markham told WFTV-TV. "I can go back to being a new mom and bonding with him. I am just very happy.”

She regained custody of her 5-month-old son after she and her lawyer settled her case with the Florida Department of Children and Families on Wednesday. Markham will have to meet with a state-approved pediatrician to keep custody of her child, according to her lawyer.

Here is the full story, for those of you too lazy to look at links. Now, after reading this, I'd like to see how you go about defending her obvious neglect of her baby's health due to her beliefs.

Excerpt:

Sarah Anne Markham, 23, of Casselberry, was charged with child neglect after she disregarded her pediatrician's directive to have her baby hospitalized since he was suffering from dehydration and losing weight quickly, police said. Instead of heading to Florida Hospital South for treatment, Markham took her baby home.

When police officers tried to enter her house to check up on her, she refused to open the door, eventually forcing them to break into her apartment through the help of a locksmith. Upon being questioned, Markham claimed to be interested in holistic treatment for the baby and wanted to get a second opinion on her child's condition from a "vegan" doctor.

She also denied the baby's condition of suffering from dehydration since the infant was still having bowel movements. According to Click Orlando, Markham admitted to investigators that she had bought an organic soy formula instead of getting the formula provided to her by her child's doctor because she believed the ingredients came from animals.

"When asked if her doctor had confirmed that the plant-based formula was appropriate for her baby, Markham allegedly replied that she knew it was safe because it came from a Whole Food Market," UK MailOnline reported.

Although she eventually relented and told officers that she would take her baby to the hospital because she was being forced to do so, she ended up staying home for the next hour, prompting officers to place her under arrest just after 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Markham was released from jail Wednesday after posting $2,000 bond, but her newborn has been taken to a hospital for treatment and will be placed into state custody.

Your opinion.

No I wouldn't.

Yes, the pediatrician diagnosed the baby as being malnourished and dehydrated, and yes it is in the article that you obviously didn't read. Why do keep denying this? The doctor diagnosed the baby as being malnourished. Stop lying.

A Florida mother accused of child neglect after a doctor found her infant to be malnourished has regained custody of her son, according to her lawyer.

Sarah Markham, 24, of Seminole County, Florida, lost custody of her child five months ago after a doctor directed her to a hospital because her infant son was malnourished and she didn’t immediately show up.

She told ABC News affiliate WFTV-TV in Orlando, Florida that she was “ecstatic” to have her son back.

“I'm just so excited ecstatic and about getting him back this whole thing was a nightmare,” Markham told WFTV-TV. "I can go back to being a new mom and bonding with him. I am just very happy.”

She regained custody of her 5-month-old son after she and her lawyer settled her case with the Florida Department of Children and Families on Wednesday. Markham will have to meet with a state-approved pediatrician to keep custody of her child, according to her lawyer.
Turns out the kid was just fine as I was saying all along.

So both you and the doctor were wrong

No I wouldn't.

That's because the police broke down her door, took the baby to the hospital where it was treated for malnutrition and dehydration. Those are the facts.

Your defense of her actions makes absolutely no sense to anyone who cares about children. You, like she, are putting your beliefs before the health and well being of baby. Shameful! This is why some people have no business being parents. They are TOO stupid and ignorant.

No I wouldn't.

That's because the police broke down her door, took the baby to the hospital where it was treated for malnutrition and dehydration. Those are the facts.

Your defense of her actions makes absolutely no sense to anyone who cares about children. You, like she, are putting your beliefs before the health and well being of baby. Shameful! This is why some people have no business being parents. They are TOO stupid and ignorant.

My beliefs have nothing to do with it.

We know that a 7-10% weight loss in a breast fed newborn is not unusual.
We know that a vegetarian formula supplement is just as good as a milk based supplement.

We know that this baby was already bigger than the average 12 week old baby even after losing the weight.

Add all that up and the only conclusion one can come to is that the doctor and the state overreacted.

I know quite a few Vegans. The ones I know are some very epic people.

Who cares? What's your point? Oh, that's right, you don't have one although you wish you did. Lol.

I am not saying you are one of them, but many people assume that all Vegans are incapable of responsibility raising a child. I have seen plenty of Vegans raise their children just fine.

Forum List

Back