mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Obama, Castro agree to foster ‘a new relationship’
f3ea8a6a14df4aff89de5a0626acb045-f3ea8a6a14df4aff89de5a0626acb045-0.jpg

Pablo Martinez Monsivais/Associated Press

Cuban President Raul Castro and President Obama met during the Summit of the Americas in Panama City, Panama, on Saturday.

Associated Press April 11, 2015
PANAMA CITY — President Barack Obama and Cuba’s Raul Castro sat down together Saturday in the first formal meeting of the two country’s leaders in a half-century, pledging to reach for the kind of peaceful relationship that has eluded their nations for generations.

In a small conference room in a Panama City convention center, the two sat side by side in a bid to inject fresh momentum into their months-old effort to restore diplomatic ties. Reflecting on the historic nature of the meeting, Obama said he felt it was time to try something new and to engage with both Cuba’s government and its people.

‘‘What we have both concluded is that we can disagree with a spirit of respect and civility,’’ Obama said. ‘‘And over time, it is possible for us to turn the page and develop a new relationship between our two countries.’’

Castro, for his part, said he agreed with everything Obama had said — a stunning statement in and of itself for the Cuban leader. But he added the caveat that they had ‘‘agreed to disagee’’ at times. Castro said he had told the Americans that Cuba was willing to discuss issues such as human rights and freedom of the press, maintaining that ‘‘everything can be on the table.’’

‘‘We are disposed to talk about everything — with patience,’’ Castro said in Spanish. ‘‘Some things we will agree with, and others we won’t.’’ Obama Castro expected to meet Saturday in Panama - World - The Boston Globe

Last edited:
A Rubio or Cruz presidency will shitcan this "new relationship" in short order as likely the other republicans will.
More reason to make sure they don't get in. 55 years of foolishness is quite enough. We have had better relations with Vietnam and actually fought a war against them!

There is no reason to continue to treat Cuba like a pariah that is not negated by our overly close relationship with China. Keeping this last bit of the cold war simply for nostalgia's sake is stupid.

There is no reason to continue to treat Cuba like a pariah that is not negated by our overly close relationship with China. Keeping this last bit of the cold war simply for nostalgia's sake is stupid.
I guess Cuba hates us no more than your average Harvard grad.
But not as much as conservatives despise normal diplomacy.
Normal diplomacy?

I don't think Obama knows what that is.

Obama is clearly trying to build some phony legacy, not do what is best for both countries....

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Normal diplomacy?

Obama is clearly trying to build some phony legacy, not do what is best for both countries....
Phony? It has been high time to thaw relations with Cuba for years and he is doing it. It's far more genuine than conservative rationalizations for continuing to treat them like we have been.

Normal diplomacy?

Phony? It has been high time to thaw relations with Cuba for years and he is doing it. It's far more genuine than conservative rationalizations for continuing to treat them like we have been.
But there is no economic incentive for conservatives to support it....

mudwhistle

Why did you LIE that Obama "apologized to Communists"?

I searched this link as well as the other link you posted and find no hint of any apology - except where Castro apologized to Obama.

Please post a link to where Obama apologized to Communists.

Thanks.

:link:

We have had better relations with Vietnam and actually fought a war against them!
so by this analogy we have to have a war with them to be more friendly, like with Germany, Japan, Spain, England, and other little countries....., RIGHT ?
Hardly, that's flawed logic.

Whidman may have a point. I wouldn't be all that suraprised to see a Repub president bomb Cuba.

Its not as though they need a reason, other than they want to buy more tanks.

:tank:

Normal diplomacy?

That's true, they liked opening relations with China because they allowed western access to the largest untapped cheap labor pool in the world, there is no sign Cuba will allow themselves to be harshly used by the multi-national corporations like that.

Normal diplomacy?

That's true, they liked opening relations with China because they allowed western access to the largest untapped cheap labor pool in the world, there is no sign Cuba will allow themselves to be harshly used by the multi-national corporations like that.
Reagan pushed for more trade with China, GW made it a point to help push NAFTA until it was signed under Clinton....Now they are working on an Asian free zone, another screwin' comin' down the pike for the average American...

Normal diplomacy?

Cuba has nothing. Only cigars. This is Obama once again saying "fuck you" to America....

Normal diplomacy?

Cuba has nothing. Only cigars. This is Obama once again saying "fuck you" to America....
They have the Cubra Libre

Forum List

Back