Current law and police work catch guys selling illegal guns in Chicago, no new laws needed...

Nope....guns are private property.....we have a right to sell our own property in this country, comrade. Punish the actual criminal who buys the gun illegally, that is how you actually make a difference, lock them up for 30 years. As this thread shows......

They caught the actual illegal gun seller without the background check doing anything since he passed the background check....and still sold the gun to a criminal...

The first post of this thread shows your idea doesn't work...at all.....

The guy who sold the gun to the criminal...passed the current FEDERAL background check....he would pass any future private sale background check...so you whole point doesn't mean anything since it has been shown, here in this thread, that it is unnecessary to catch people intentionally selling guns to criminals.....

These guys were caught with current police techniques...they did not go through a background check....

Your whole premise is dumb.

Cars are also, but you have paperwork to complete the sale.

Not really. If you buy a car for cash all you get is a title from the seller. The sale is not reported to anyone. You do not have to register that car

You get a signed title and a bill of sale. Both, by law, have to be registered with your State.

No they don't.

You get the title which is the bill of sale and if you don't register the car you don't have to notify the state of the purchase.

The title is a certificate of legal ownership. Until you transfer title, you don't legally own the car.

But it does not have to be reported.

I buy a car. The owner hands me the title.

The state doesn't know and doesn't have to know unless I register the car which btw I do not have to do if I am not going to drive that car on public roads.

Sure, just as soon as you agree that if someone steals your car and kills someone with it, you should be responsible.

If you leave your keys in your car.....yes.

No.

The person who took your car is responsible for what happens since he is the one committing the crime.

Tell me do you think a woman who wears short skirts is responsible for getting raped?

Why would you try to compare theft of property with sexual assault? You must have voted for Donald "Grab Her By The Pussy" Trump.

Texas Transportation Code

545.404 UNATTENDED VEHICLE

An operator may not leave the vehicle unattended without:

(1) stopping the engine;

(2) locking the ignition;

(3) removing the key from the ignition;

(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and

(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

And yes, you may well be cited for it after having your car stolen.

It's the same in all 50 States.

And if the car gets stolen the owner is not the one at fault

I've posted the law.

OK so when was the last time a person who had his car stolen was arrested for not locking the doors or setting the parking brake?

Let me help you out here.

Never.

Cars are also, but you have paperwork to complete the sale.

Not really. If you buy a car for cash all you get is a title from the seller. The sale is not reported to anyone. You do not have to register that car

You get a signed title and a bill of sale. Both, by law, have to be registered with your State.

No they don't.

You get the title which is the bill of sale and if you don't register the car you don't have to notify the state of the purchase.

The title is a certificate of legal ownership. Until you transfer title, you don't legally own the car.

The state doesn't know and doesn't have to know unless I register the car which btw I do not have to do if I am not going to drive that car on public roads.

How do you know the guy that sell you the car has legal right to do so?

How do you know the car isn't stolen?

How do you know if there is a legal lien?

If you leave your keys in your car.....yes.

No.

The person who took your car is responsible for what happens since he is the one committing the crime.

Tell me do you think a woman who wears short skirts is responsible for getting raped?

Why would you try to compare theft of property with sexual assault? You must have voted for Donald "Grab Her By The Pussy" Trump.

(1) stopping the engine;

(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

I've posted the law.

OK so when was the last time a person who had his car stolen was arrested for not locking the doors or setting the parking brake?

Never.

I've already posted the law. Do you condone breaking the law?

Yes, those were what is known as straw purchasers. Not the same as individual sellers who can legally sell their guns to anybody without any background check, paperwork, or records of any kind. They aren't even required to ask the purchaser's name.

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal background checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

And criminals will still get guns even if you mandated a background check for private sales......these guys...they went to a licensed gun dealer....filled out the paperwork, went through the background check, the gun store kept records of the sale....

And the licensed gun dealer even asked them their names......and they even told the dealer their names....

And they took those legally purchased guns, having gone through all of your hoops....and sold the guns to felons......

Universal background checks will be passed by the same people because they can pass background checks....criminals will use those people to buy their guns and if they want a gun a private seller has, they will use friends and family and other straw buyers who can already pass background checks...making your post silly and pointless....

Who wants people to stop selling private property? I just want to keep people who can't legally buy guns from buying guns. Universal background checks will help with that.

Bullshit.

What do you propose be done about those obtaining guns by stealing them? What universal check is going to stop that?

Yes, those were what is known as straw purchasers. Not the same as individual sellers who can legally sell their guns to anybody without any background check, paperwork, or records of any kind. They aren't even required to ask the purchaser's name.

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal background checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

And criminals will still get guns even if you mandated a background check for private sales......these guys...they went to a licensed gun dealer....filled out the paperwork, went through the background check, the gun store kept records of the sale....

And the licensed gun dealer even asked them their names......and they even told the dealer their names....

And they took those legally purchased guns, having gone through all of your hoops....and sold the guns to felons......

Universal background checks will be passed by the same people because they can pass background checks....criminals will use those people to buy their guns and if they want a gun a private seller has, they will use friends and family and other straw buyers who can already pass background checks...making your post silly and pointless....

Who wants people to stop selling private property? I just want to keep people who can't legally buy guns from buying guns. Universal background checks will help with that.

No....you want to keep normal, law abiding citizens from selling their guns....criminals can already be arrested for buying, owning or carrying a gun...we can do that right now, under current law.

Universal background checks will not help with that...the same way current, federally mandated background checks did not stop these guys from selling guns to criminals.....did you read the post? Because that seems to have gotten past you....

Don't try to tell me what I want, you idiot. You have enough trouble figuring out what you want.

You said what you wanted. What you want won't work. If someone that shouldn't have a gun legally wants a gun and the typical avenue of getting it is not there, they will find a way. That's why they're called criminals. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't have guns from getting them, period, I'll support it.

How will universal background checks work?

To repeat...

These guys...passed current, federally mandated background checks.....they filled out paperwork, they even gave the gun store their actual names....and they went with their guns that they took a background check to get, and sold them to criminals.......

Yes....I know....you can't answer this question because universal background checks are everything I said they are.....but thanks for playing.

I've answered that question for you at least a couple of dozen times. Looks like I need to start numbering my answers to you, since you keep asking the same ones, and I keep answering them so often

Your answers keep saying that things that won't work should be done. When are you going to suggest things that will?

Bullshit.

What do you propose be done about those obtaining guns by stealing them? What universal check is going to stop that?

So anything less than 100% effective in all cases is a good excuse not to do it? Sounds pretty childish to me.

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal
checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

No....you want to keep normal, law abiding citizens from selling their guns....criminals can already be arrested for buying, owning or carrying a gun...we can do that right now, under current law.

Universal background checks will not help with that...the same way current, federally mandated background checks did not stop these guys from selling guns to criminals.....did you read the post? Because that seems to have gotten past you....

Don't try to tell me what I want, you idiot. You have enough trouble figuring out what you want.

You said what you wanted. What you want won't work. If someone that shouldn't have a gun legally wants a gun and the typical avenue of getting it is not there, they will find a way. That's why they're called criminals. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't have guns from getting them, period, I'll support it.

That's stupid. Using your logic, if someone that shouldn't be in your house when you are gone wants in your house, he will find a way. That's why they are called criminals. Breaking and entering laws are a waste. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't get in your house when you aren't there from getting in when you aren't there, period, I'll support it.

To repeat...

These guys...passed current, federally mandated background checks.....they filled out paperwork, they even gave the gun store their actual names....and they went with their guns that they took a background check to get, and sold them to criminals.......

Yes....I know....you can't answer this question because universal background checks are everything I said they are.....but thanks for playing.

I've answered that question for you at least a couple of dozen times. Looks like I need to start numbering my answers to you, since you keep asking the same ones, and I keep answering them so often

Your answers keep saying that things that won't work should be done. When are you going to suggest things that will?

You're an idiot.

Bullshit.

So anything less than 100% effective in all cases is a good excuse not to do it? Sounds pretty childish to me.

Since you gun control nuts constantly talk about how big of a problem guns are, why would you accept anything less than that? Thanks for admitting that what you support won't solve the problem you say exists. Maybe someone you know and/or love will be the victim of those you're willing to accept get guns if such laws are passed.

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal
checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

That's stupid. Using your logic, if someone that shouldn't be in your house when you are gone wants in your house, he will find a way. That's why they are called criminals. Breaking and entering laws are a waste. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't get in your house when you aren't there from getting in when you aren't there, period, I'll support it.

They will find a way. Happens all the time. In fact, someone in my neighborhood was broken into last week. The person or persons breaking in shouldn't have been there, obviously wanted to be there because they went in, which means they found a way to do it. To say they didn't want in is ridiculous.

To repeat...

You're an idiot.

Yet you can't answer the question.

Well regulated militia are declared necessary to the security of a free State.

The legislatures should not be shirking their Obligation to create laws that establish well regulated militia.

There should be no gun confiscations, only calls for the militia to muster.

No they don't.

How do you know the guy that sell you the car has legal right to do so?

How do you know the car isn't stolen?

How do you know if there is a legal lien?
Because he holds the title

Have you never bought a car for cash?

People do not leave the title of the car in the vehicle.

If you buy a stolen car the piece of shit criminal selling it will not have the title

No.

(1) stopping the engine;

I've posted the law.

Never.

I've already posted the law. Do you condone breaking the law?

Answer my question.

Has anyone ever been arrested for not locking his vehicle?

and FYI I don't live in TX

They will find a way. Happens all the time. In fact, someone in my neighborhood was broken into last week. The person or persons breaking in shouldn't have been there, obviously wanted to be there because they went in, which means they found a way to do it. To say they didn't want in is ridiculous.

Never said they didn't want in. I said your logic deems breaking and entering laws moot. The same could be said for all our laws. Murder, theft, rape, all have laws against them, yet they still happen, Using your logic we shouldn't have those laws anyway, because they aren't 100% effective in every case.

Never said they didn't want in. I said your logic deems breaking and entering laws moot. The same could be said for all our laws. Murder, theft, rape, all have laws against them, yet they still happen, Using your logic we shouldn't have those laws anyway, because they aren't 100% effective in every case.

They're meaningless to those that don't follow the laws.

You're not talking about getting rid of laws that are on the books, you're talking about putting new laws into place even you say won't work.

If you say what you propose won't be 100% effective, and that leaves the door open to things still happening you say you want to end, all we can do is hope the victims of such actions are the ones you love and care for.

They're meaningless to those that don't follow the laws.

You're not talking about getting rid of laws that are on the books, you're talking about putting new laws into place even you say won't work.

If you say what you propose won't be 100% effective, and that leaves the door open to things still happening you say you want to end, all we can do is hope the victims of such actions are the ones you love and care for.

Using your logic, we would have no laws, because no law will prevent a determined criminal from breaking it.

We already have laws against the illegal sale of guns.
We already have laws about murder and assault

We have laws that pertain to every conceivable illegal use of a firearm.

So tell me what law do you propose?

Forum List

Back