Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Right leaning & pro capital punishment

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Right leaning & anti capital punishment

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • Right leaning & ambivalent

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Life in prison with no chance of parole is the proper punishment, not killing someone to prove that killing is wrong.

IMO there is no point to it. It does not deter crime. It costs more than keeping someone in prison for life. It comes down to the desire for vengence and punishment, which I don't support. Also, there are innocent people who have been put to death because they were wrongly convicted. The possiblity of that makes the whole systemm wrong. And bottom line, for me, it just brings me down to their level, i.e., the State killing people in my name. Life without parole is my preference for heinous crimes.

Life without parole is a worse penalty than putting them out of their misery.

I tend to agree. I can't imagine a life spent in that manner. I would prefer the alternative.

Murderers are barbaric in what they do

So is a society that executes them

Not doing so is an insult to the victims.

Most of the states do not use the death penalty
Most countries do not use the death penalty

It is reserved for barbarians
nonsense a lot of moslim countries kill women (dp ) for adultery and any person for drug dealing ,even some for not excepting islam
we at least only use it for those convicted of murder and then very sparingly

Benghazi has been a clusterfuck of monumental proportions. The incompetence of an administration essentially created by political correctness really shone through on this one.

Obama
Clinton
Rice

I'm confused. This thread is about the death penalty. What did that post have to do with the death penalty? Did you think you were posting in one of the threads about Benghazi?

Immie

Benghazi has been a clusterfuck of monumental proportions. The incompetence of an administration essentially created by political correctness really shone through on this one.

Obama
Clinton
Rice

I'm confused. This thread is about the death penalty. What did that post have to do with the death penalty? Did you think you were posting in one of the threads about Benghazi?

Immie
I cross posted it. Sorry.

No justice....how do you read something like that and not get pissed at those people. and how do you see anything but death as sufficient?

Do you even think about the horror those victums went through?
Do you even care?

Life in prison with no chance of parole is the proper punishment, not killing someone to prove that killing is wrong.

IMO there is no point to it. It does not deter crime. It costs more than keeping someone in prison for life. It comes down to the desire for vengence and punishment, which I don't support. Also, there are innocent people who have been put to death because they were wrongly convicted. The possiblity of that makes the whole systemm wrong. And bottom line, for me, it just brings me down to their level, i.e., the State killing people in my name. Life without parole is my preference for heinous crimes.
Criminologist have serious doubt that the death penalty is any deterrent at all. In fact, there is even evidence that it does just the opposite. States and counties that have reinstated capital punishment have seen significant upsurges in murder. In fact, murder rates tend to go up after well published executions.

https://2009researchpaper.wikispaces.com/file/view/Capital+Punishment+Con+2.pdf

nonsense a lot of moslim countries kill women (dp ) for adultery and any person for drug dealing ,even some for not excepting islam
Yes, and those Muslim countries and the good ole USA are among the remaining barbaric countries

I read that they will seek the death penalty of that guy in cleveland. I agree with pops, killing people is what they want and it is to good for them, let them rot in prision, so everyday till they die they remember what they did.

Yes, and those Muslim countries and the good ole USA are among the remaining barbaric countries
The U.S. remains in the company of countries like Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, and China as one of the major advocates and users of capital punishment. Is this the kind of company we should keep?"

...a lot of moslim countries kill women (dp ) for adultery and any person for drug dealing ,even some for not excepting islam....

This is total ignorance and bull shit. God you are ignorant.
you obviosly dont read international news ill post links for you but id be wasting my time

No justice....how do you read something like that and not get pissed at those people. and how do you see anything but death as sufficient?

Do you even think about the horror those victums went through?
Do you even care?

IMO there is no point to it. It does not deter crime. It costs more than keeping someone in prison for life. It comes down to the desire for vengence and punishment, which I don't support. Also, there are innocent people who have been put to death because they were wrongly convicted. The possiblity of that makes the whole system wrong. And bottom line, for me, it just brings me down to their level, i.e., the State killing people in my name. Life without parole is my preference for heinous crimes.
you are a real bigot show me prove of somebody executed for a murder they didnt commit not that i agree with CP for all murders but if we are discussing it lets separate facts from opinion

IMO there is no point to it. It does not deter crime. It costs more than keeping someone in prison for life. It comes down to the desire for vengence and punishment, which I don't support. Also, there are innocent people who have been put to death because they were wrongly convicted. The possiblity of that makes the whole system wrong. And bottom line, for me, it just brings me down to their level, i.e., the State killing people in my name. Life without parole is my preference for heinous crimes.
you are a real bigot show me prove of somebody executed for a murder they didnt commit not that i agree with CP for all murders but if we are discussing it lets separate facts from opinion

Wrongful execution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cameron Todd Willingham was executed February, 2004, for murdering his three young children by arson at the family home in Corsicana, Texas. Nationally known fire investigator Gerald Hurst reviewed the case documents, including the trial transcriptions and an hour-long videotape of the aftermath of the fire scene and said in December 2004 that "There's nothing to suggest to any reasonable arson investigator that this was an arson fire. It was just a fire."[12] In 2010, the Innocence Project filed a lawsuit against the State of Texas, seeking a judgment of "official oppression".[13]

Statistics likely understate the actual problem of wrongful convictions because once an execution has occurred there is often insufficient motivation and finance to keep a case open, and it becomes unlikely at that point that the miscarriage of justice will ever be exposed. In the case of Joseph Roger O'Dell III, executed in Virginia in 1997 for a rape and murder, a prosecuting attorney bluntly argued in court in 1998 that if posthumous DNA results exonerated O'Dell, "it would be shouted from the rooftops that ... Virginia executed an innocent man." The state prevailed, and the evidence was destroyed.[14]

Johnny Frank Garrett of Texas was executed February, 1992, for allegedly raping and murdering a nun. In March, 2004, cold-case DNA testing identified Leoncio Rueda as the rapist and murderer of another elderly victim killed four months prior.[15] Immediately following the nun's murder, prosecutors and police were certain the two cases were committed by the same assailant.[16] In both cases, black curly head hairs were found on the victims, linked to Rueda. Previously unidentified fingerprints in the nun's room were matched to Rueda. The flawed case is explored in a 2008 documentary The Last Word.

Jesse Tafero was convicted of murder and tortuously executed via electric chair May, 1990, in the state of Florida for the murders of two Florida Highway Patrol officers. The conviction of a codefendant was overturned in 1992 after a recreation of the crime scene indicated a third person had committed the murders.[17]

Carlos DeLuna was executed in Texas in December 1989. Subsequent investigation[18] cast profound doubt upon DeLuna's guilt for the murder of which he had been convicted

Last edited:
I am for the death penalty, although this whole lethal injection thing is too humane. Couple of shots, you go to sleep, then you die without ever being aware of it. How lovely for those monsters who have slaughtered and butchered others, eh? However, I also see letting them live out their life in prison as they would then have to live with what they did. Do most even care what they did? :dunno: BUT ... while prison life denies one freedom it is NOT what is should be, imo. They should get sentenced to hard labor, not the perks that are in prisons now.

Since, in many cases, "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" is NOT the same thing as proof beyond any possibility of doubt (a standard which is almost impossible to attain in most cases), it seems to me that the biggest problem with a death penalty is that it can never be corrected once imposed if a mistake is later discovered. Therefore, I am mostly opposed to the death penalty.

That said, there are cases where it is still warranted in my estimation.

And the big reason in favor of a death penalty in my view is NOT the usual claim about how it supposedly teaches others that if they do certain things (like committing murder, etc) they too may get put to death. Most of the mutts out there aren't paying much attention to the execution of other mutts.

No. I favor it for a much more pragmatic reason. If a scumbag who has committed multiple murders is serving consecutive life sentences and will never get paroled, what threat is left to hang over his head? How are the other inmates and the guards protected from HIS violent behaviors?

If a person is already serving a life sentence and commits another murder, then an additional life sentence is not a concern to him at all. The only real thing left to hang over his head is the threat of executing him.

And if that doesn't work to stop him from killing again, then the death penalty becomes a societal right of self-protection. Put him out of OUR misery.

No. I favor it for a much more pragmatic reason. If a scumbag who has committed multiple murders is serving consecutive life sentences and will never get paroled, what threat is left to hang over his head? How are the other inmates and the guards protected from HIS violent behaviors?

If a person is already serving a life sentence and commits another murder, then an additional life sentence is not a concern to him at all. The only real thing left to hang over his head is the threat of executing him.

And if that doesn't work to stop him from killing again, then the death penalty becomes a societal right of self-protection. Put him out of OUR misery.

The same argument can be made AGAINST imposing the death penalty. Once sentenced to death, this inmate REALLY has nothing else to lose. There is absolutely no deterrent left. That's why keeping inmates like this on death row for 12 years or so (average in 2006) is more expensive than housing an inmate in the general population for the remainder of his life.

Have you been living under a rock?
Google: Innocent people executed and get up to speed.

I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

My father-in-law actually shares your opinion on capital punishment, but he's liberal, anyway, I had asked him, "if the horrific crime happened to one of your grand kids and was overwhelmingly found guilty of the crime, would you still be against the death penalty?" His response to me was, "oh no, I would want the guy to get the death penalty in the worst possible way." Of course I pointed out to him, "wait a minute, you said you are against the death penalty." The he said, "I am, but when it comes to my grand kids, that's different."

I do respect your opinion. I just had to share that story.

I am all for the death penalty in cases of murder and treason, but only those crimes.

I have a feeling I'm going to stay a small minority as an anti-capital punishment conservative.

One of the leading reasons I am against capital punishment is because it is not administrated fairly. People who can afford good lawyers have so much better chance at getting out of it than poor people.

Since justice can't be blind, and since it does appear that people have been condemned to death who were innocent, I have slowly abandoned the capital punishment position I was raised to believe in.

My father-in-law actually shares your opinion on capital punishment, but he's liberal, anyway, I had asked him, "if the horrific crime happened to one of your grand kids and was overwhelmingly found guilty of the crime, would you still be against the death penalty?" His response to me was, "oh no, I would want the guy to get the death penalty in the worst possible way." Of course I pointed out to him, "wait a minute, you said you are against the death penalty." The he said, "I am, but when it comes to my grand kids, that's different."

I wholeheartedly agree with Amanda. I agree with your dad-in-law too, to a point. The state simply can't get it right, especially in an increasingly privatized prison system. Me, god forbid, I'd take care of it myself.

I wholeheartedly agree with Amanda. I agree with your dad-in-law too, to a point. The state simply can't get it right, especially in an increasingly privatized prison system. Me, god forbid, I'd take care of it myself.

Someone who has a life sentence has a lot to lose

Namely, the prison conditions he will see for the rest of his life. Big difference between solitary and being in the general population

Forum List

Back