Decline of the American Empire?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
For any of you who may be familiar with the decline of the Roman Empire, do you see any parallels to the United States at this point in its history? In my view they are astoundingly similar, from the abandonment of public moral standards to paying off our adversaries (e.g., Iran) as they continue their inexorable encirclement. Is our current political process anything more than a modern version of bread and circuses for the masses?

The only difference I can see is the compression of time from centuries to decades. We became a world-dominant superpower in a fraction of the time it took the Romans. Is there any reason to believe that our decline won't be just as quick?

Similarities could include immorality and debt. Rome grew to be so large that they couldnt control their perimeters which, essentially, doomed them. In that comparison we would have a triple play ie immorality, debt and our military outreach throughout the world, which is congruent to Romes' inability to control its outer perimeters.

Similarities could include immorality and debt. Rome grew to be so large that they couldnt control their perimeters which, essentially, doomed them. In that comparison we would have a triple play ie immorality, debt and our military outreach throughout the world, which is congruent to Romes' inability to control its outer perimeters.

Or keep its population happy.

Much in common....along with devaluing the currency, generating huge public debt, expensive and constant military misadventures, and of course....lots of bread and circuses.

I've never bought into the phrase "american exceptionalism" from the get go. When most all the wealth is controlled by a select few can one really expect things to go well?

Rome was a conqueror for the purpose of collecting taxes, not controlling the conquered populace.

For any of you who may be familiar with the decline of the Roman Empire, do you see any parallels to the United States at this point in its history? In my view they are astoundingly similar, from the abandonment of public moral standards to paying off our adversaries (e.g., Iran) as they continue their inexorable encirclement. Is our current political process anything more than a modern version of bread and circuses for the masses?

The only difference I can see is the compression of time from centuries to decades. We became a world-dominant superpower in a fraction of the time it took the Romans. Is there any reason to believe that our decline won't be just as quick?

For anyone with an even passing acquaintance, they're uselessly dissimilar. The primary cause of the decline of the Roman empire was relentless civil wars and the single largest migration of people in recorded history......right through their territory.

We don't see either.

I've never bought into the phrase "american exceptionalism" from the get go. When most all the wealth is controlled by a select few can one really expect things to go well?

Without the help from the US, the world would be a dark place. You can't ignore what our contributions have been and our ability to do them. We were exceptional.

For anyone with an even passing acquaintance, they're uselessly dissimilar. The primary cause of the decline of the Roman empire was relentless civil wars and the single largest migration of people in recorded history......right through their territory.

We don't see either.

We have never ending wars and millions migrating from the south.

Abandonment of republicanism is the decline of nations. The Italian city-states, Swiss Cantons, Dutch Provinces, even England after the Glorious Revolution.

And Rome.

The prerogative rule of a central authority, be it from the few or the many - from an oligarchy or a liberal democracy - is our ruin.

America is not an empire.
Oh yes it is.

I disagree with you there, gipper. How do you see the US as an empire?
Most of the world's nations are client states of the USA. All of Europe is controlled by the US. Central and South America with a few exceptions are client states. Much of Asia and the ME are client states. Russia and China are not, so the empire is looking to take them out.

Any nation that does not do what our worthless government and CIA tell them, can expect a shit storm.

We don't see either.

We have never ending wars and millions migrating from the south.

We have nothing like what the Roman's experienced. And it was the *civil* wars that tore the empire apart. With generals trying to make themselves emperor by force fighting the existing emperor or emperor wanna be. With every casualty a Roman. It obliterated entire legions. To destroyed the leadership of entire armies. And it lead to gross instability for centuries.

And the *mexicans?* They are migrant workers. They wash cars, flip burgers, pick tomatoes....and then go home. The Roman's faced massive invading armies in a migration of people unmatched in human history. With most of the roman military at the time of their fall being the very peoples that had invaded them lead by a handful or Roman military officers that had survived the devastating civil wars and plagues.

We have nothing like what they faced.

America is not an empire.
Oh yes it is.

I disagree with you there, gipper. How do you see the US as an empire?
Most of the world's nations are client states of the USA. All of Europe is controlled by the US. Central and South America with a few exceptions are client states.

Client states send tribute. We have the exact opposite scenario......with almost all foreign aid going OUT of our nation. Not into it.

When a select few exert huge amounts of control because of thheir wealth, it IS over.

Forum List

Back