🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Deputy accidentally shoots mom during wedding

What the hell kind of holsters are these idiots using?? One of the basic rules of gun ownership is to make sure your weapon is secure. It can just fall out?? WTH? Most people have better holsters for their cell phones.

I fear many aren't using holsters. Recently a guy in FL reached in his pocket for something and fired his gun. Shot him self and debris from the floor wounded 4 others including 2 small children. I'm guessing he had the gun in his pock with one in the chamber and no holster. Accidently pulled on his trigger and quickly injured 5 people including himself. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any laws regarding needing a holster or other things that would be safe.

What are any of these idiots carrying? And why aren't the safeties on? Guns "accidentally" going off is way too common.

And, needless to say, dropping one's gun is just plain indefensible. To turn a phrase, if you can't keep it in your pocket, leave it at home.

Most the popular carry guns don't even have safeties.

Well, that is not entirely accurate. They may not have a manual or external safety, but there is a safety. For example, the Glock has a safety that is built into the gun.

What are any of these idiots carrying? And why aren't the safeties on? Guns "accidentally" going off is way too common.

And, needless to say, dropping one's gun is just plain indefensible. To turn a phrase, if you can't keep it in your pocket, leave it at home.

They do, they're just not the 'user-actuated' button or level sort as much as built-in where deliberate squeeze of the trigger disables them as in the Glock line.

Well it must not work very well. This guy had a Glock.

5 treated for minor injuries after accidental shooting at Clearwater Beach hotel

They do, they're just not the 'user-actuated' button or level sort as much as built-in where deliberate squeeze of the trigger disables them as in the Glock line.

5 treated for minor injuries after accidental shooting at Clearwater Beach hotel

"when he tried to grab his wallet from his left pocket and instead grabbed his 9mm Glock, causing it to accidentally discharge."

He fired it. Unintentionally. It didn't 'accidentally discharge.' The guy fired the weapon, he just didn't mean to.

What kind of cheap pos weapon was he carrying that's capable of discharging by itself? I had a 70+ year old curios .45 1911 I set to condition 1 (unloaded) and dropped, threw to the ground, and shook violently wondering if it could fire without deliberate will - it never did.

"when he tried to grab his wallet from his left pocket and instead grabbed his 9mm Glock, causing it to accidentally discharge."

He fired it. Unintentionally. It didn't 'accidentally discharge.' The guy fired the weapon, he just didn't mean to.

Yes that seems to happen a lot. A real safety would avoid that.

Well, that is not entirely accurate. They may not have a manual or external safety, but there is a safety. For example, the Glock has a safety that is built into the gun.

At least 3 passive mechanical safeties as I recall. Been over 20 years but was qualified on a Glock 17 back in the day.

What the hell kind of holsters are these idiots using?? One of the basic rules of gun ownership is to make sure your weapon is secure. It can just fall out?? WTH? Most people have better holsters for their cell phones.

I fear many aren't using holsters. Recently a guy in FL reached in his pocket for something and fired his gun. Shot him self and debris from the floor wounded 4 others including 2 small children. I'm guessing he had the gun in his pock with one in the chamber and no holster. Accidently pulled on his trigger and quickly injured 5 people including himself. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any laws regarding needing a holster or other things that would be safe.

No, there is no law requiring a holster. For example one popular product is a concealed carry purse for women. Dumbest idea I've ever seen. You know how many times a woman reaches into her purse on a daily basis.

Problem with the user-actuated safeties you're talking about, at least for law enforcement, is a lot of officers have died because they couldn't disable the level-sort of safety when under combat stress.

Cops aren't soldiers. Amount of trigger time they receive is perhaps 2-3% of training time. So the last thing an officer needs for his duty piece is something with safeties he has to disable to fire their weapon. Why the Glocks were so popular having no user-safeties at all, but passive mechanical ones. Transitioning from revolvers to semi-autos was a thing for a while there, and Glocks were preferred being the easier semi-autos to transition froma revolver with functioning much the same way where you simply squeeze the trigger.

No, there is no law requiring a holster. For example one popular product is a concealed carry purse for women. Dumbest idea I've ever seen. You know how many times a woman reaches into her purse on a daily basis.

At minimum there should be a holster so you can't accidently pull the trigger. I personally think a manual safety should also be mandatory.

My thinking is the guy fumbled the weapn as it fells catching a piece of it and squeeze the trigger as it fell like.

Simple impact isn't gonna make the thing discharge.

Catching a piece of the trigger makes a lot more sense.

At minimum there should be a holster so you can't accidentally pull the trigger. I personally think a manual safety should also be mandatory.

I personally believe handguns should be designed so that it impossible to keep a round in the chamber. Since so many gun carrying idiots think that is necessary. No round in the chamber , you can squeeze the trigger all you want , and it's not going to fire.

Problem with the user-actuated safeties you're talking about, at least for law enforcement, is a lot of officers have died because they couldn't disable the level-sort of safety when under combat stress.

Cops aren't soldiers. Amount of trigger time they receive is perhaps 2-3% of training time. So the last thing an officer needs for his duty piece is something with safeties he has to disable to fire their weapon. Why the Glocks were so popular having no user-safeties at all, but passive mechanical ones. Transitioning from revolvers to semi-autos was a thing for a while there, and Glocks were preferred being the easier semi-autos to transition froma revolver with functioning much the same way where you simply squeeze the trigger.

I don't really think it would be such an issue for individuals. Most the carry people practice a lot. And well I think most people are more likely to shoot themselves than to ever need a gun for defense. I'm getting pretty old and have never needed one, nor has anyone I know. Oh and for the vast majority of defenses you don't even have to shoot.

My thinking is the guy fumbled the weapn as it fells catching a piece of it and squeeze the trigger as it fell like.

Right so a holster or a manual safety would have avoided this.

At minimum there should be a holster so you can't accidentally pull the trigger. I personally think a manual safety should also be mandatory.

I personally believe handguns should be designed so that it impossible to keep a round in the chamber. Since so many gun carrying idiots think that is necessary. No round in the chamber , you can squeeze the trigger all you want , and it's not going to fire.

I'm not sure if that can be designed, but I would say it should be illegal to have one round in the chamber. You are pretty paranoid and scared if you not only need to carry a gun, but you also need a round in the chamber.

Correct. That the weapon could even 'slide out' of the holster doesn't make much sense. Not familar with concealed carry versions, but even the cheapest holster has a strap holding the weapon in the holster.

Correct. That the weapon could even 'slide out' of the holster doesn't make much sense. Not familar with concealed carry versions, but even the cheapest holster has a strap holding the weapon in the holster.

I don't think they all have a strap, but gravity would keep it in the holster in your pocket. And they typically fit pretty deep and snug also so unlikely they would come out. I don't understand why we require a carry license but nothing for a holster?

I like a double action revolver for a carry gun. Rugers have a transfer bar safety that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled, and the double action trigger requires a very deliberate act.

I like a double action revolver for a carry gun. Rugers have a transfer bar safety that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled, and the double action trigger requires a very deliberate act.

Can't imagine any department lets you carry single-actions any more. :) All duty revolvers therefore are going to be either DA or DAO.

Yes the pull of a revolver is nothing like that of a semi-auto with a bullet in the chamber. I bet you use a holster too. You have an LCR? Was thinking of getting the .22 as a fun gun I can afford to shoot.

Can't imagine any department lets you carry single-actions any more. :) All duty revolvers therefore are going to be either DA or DAO.

I wasn't specifically talking about duty guns. I doubt the man in the OP was on duty.

Forum List

Back