🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

DeVos Confirmed

The Republican War on Education
February 9, 2015Bob Rowen Features, Politics

“Public education is under attack. We are living through a movement in which schooling is being radically re-envisioned as a private rather than a public enterprise, with little debate over whether the ideology of the free market belongs in American schools in the first place.”

Diane Ravitch – Former US Assistant Secretary of Education

Public Education is under attack in a coordinated, multipronged assault by the Republican Party and its right wing benefactors in what can only be called the Republican War on Education.

The Direct Assault – Defunding The Schools

Having bankrupted his state with tax cuts over the last four years, Kansas’ Republican Governor, Sam Brownback, proposed on Feb. 5th to fill his budget gap by cutting $45 million from Education. That same day in Louisiana, Tea Party favorite Bobby Jindal faced an even larger shortfall, and for the same reason. He proposed cutting education by as much as $300 million. These cuts are more than just the ill-advised application of faulty economics the GOP is famous for; they represent the latest aspect of the Republican War on Education.

In New Jersey, GOP 2016 Presidential hopeful Chris Christie didn’t wait for the state to run out of money. He made attacking the education budget one of his first priorities. In 2009, a millionaire’s tax was allowed to sunset under the previous administration. Democrats proposed to revive it. The tax increase on the state’s top earners would have produced $800 Million in revenue. Christie said it wasn’t needed. Just weeks later, though, he cited a budget crisis and cut the education budget by… you guessed it, $800 million. Five days later, he vetoed the Democratic tax bill.

In Iowa, Republican Governor Terry Branstad resorted to a sleight of hand approach. He cut education funding while appearing to maintain previous levels by inserting $50 million in “teacher leadership” funding which does not go towards the cost of running the schools. So, while it appears he is spending just as much on education as a whole, he will leave 80% of the state’s schools without adequate funding for operations. Bob Cue, Superintendent of North Tama Schools, wrote a guest column in The Gazzette:

“The educational impact will be fewer teachers, counselors and associates working with our children, eliminating educational programs, eliminating fine arts and other activity programs, delaying curriculum and technology purchases.”

Not to be outdone, Koch-supported Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker is proposing a whopping $300 million in cuts to the state university system – while simultaneously proposing $200 million in public bonds to finance a new stadium for the Milwaukee Bucks. Think he knows any good developers?

Defunding public education is not a new phenomenon, nor is it confined to the states mentioned. Compared to 2008, before the onset of the Bush recession, spending on education was down in 35 states. Seven more increased spending by 2.3% or less, not enough to keep up with inflation. That’s more than four-fifths of the country.

Cutting spending on education does not, by itself, make for a war. Especially given the Republican mantra – “Cut Taxes, Cut Spending.” They will cut anything and everything if given the chance. Everything, that is, except the military. And they’d rather not come off as against the idea of education. In the middle of his speech calling for those massive cuts, Bobby Jindal went on lauding about the need for an educated population. So most of their actions are shrouded in language of reform and improvement.

The Right Flank – Diverting Funds
One way the Republicans can continue talking like they want better education for our children while at the same time crippling public education is to divert money from the school budget into Charter schools. Begun as an attempt to find ways to better educate students in places where public schools have a long history of inadequacy, these independently run schools were seen as the great hope for the future. The reality has been quite a different story.

These schools operate free from the influences of the teacher unions, are given free rein to experiment with different methods of instruction and curriculum, and cut out unnecessary levels of bureaucracy. The charters were supposed to present a huge advantage over traditional schools. That advantage has not materialized. What they have been is a drain on the already-stretched resources of troubled schools. Every dollar spent in a charter is one less spent in a regular public school.

In Philadelphia, a city in the midst of a massive shift to charter schools after a takeover of the school system ordered by then Governor Mark Schweiker (GOP), charter schools today are overfunded while the remaining public schools go wanting.

Mary Lindquist President of the Washington Education Association, said this about charters:

“Washington’s educators are already offering creativity, flexibility and choice for all students in all public schools. Instead of diverting scarce resources from existing public school classrooms and spending it on unaccountable charter schools for a few students, we should be investing more in the innovative public schools we already have.”

What would be the problem in that, though, if the charters do a better job? Wouldn’t the money be better spent there? Unfortunately, that is not the case. Given plenty of time and opportunity to prove themselves worthy of the funding, charter schools have failed time and time again.

In Ohio, where a state law passed in 1997 allowing charter schools to operate in the state’s most needy district, the Education Opportunity Network said this:

“Almost 84,000 Ohio students — 87 percent of the state’s charter-school students — attend a charter ranking D or F in meeting state performance standards.”

In New Orleans, public schools have been almost completely supplanted by a charter system in the post-Katrina renewal. Proponents of charter schools have hailed it as a shining star for the charter movement. Rick Hess, a spokesman for the conservative think tank American Enterprise Institute, said,:

“New Orleans continues to be the new frontier of school reform, with enormous improvements fueled by the dramatic post-Katrina expansion of charter schooling.”

But detractors disagree. As Salon reported,

“any evidence of the improvement of the educational attainment of students in the New Orleans all-charter system is obtainable only by ‘jukin the stats.'”

“Jukin’ the stats” is a euphemism for massaging the data until it proves things that are not true.

It’s bad enough to pull sorely needed funding from public school systems and throw it away on charters that are no better and often worse. But a study in May of 2014 by the Center for Democracy & Integrity in Education, a non-profit watchdog organization, looked into reports in 15 of the 42 states that allow charter schools and cited over $100 million in fraud and abuse.

Not all charter schools are fraudulent. Nor are they all under-performing. Just as there are thousands of traditional public schools that do very well, there are many charter schools that have proven their value. But they are no panacea, and they are all a drain on resources.

Another way that money can go into the school budget without paying to run the schools is through expansion of standardized testing. There will always be a need for some testing, but under the banner of accountability, standardized testing has grown into a $1.7 billion a year behemoth sucking the lives out of budgets with their direct costs and disrupting the school year in their implementation.

Carol Burris is a former High School Teacher of the Year in NY. She wrote,

“The unintended, negative consequences that have arisen from mandated, annual testing and its high-stakes uses have proven testing not only to be an ineffective tool, but a destructive one as well,”

Critics of testing say the tests add unnecessary stress on students and take time away from instruction. Teachers pressured to improve test scores increasingly alter their planning to teach to the test, instead of maximizing understanding. Worst of all, some say the tests are fraught with bias, making them more a barometer of culture and affluence than of education.

The Left Flank – Attacking The Professionals
Republicans have been attacking unions for decades, and the teachers union is high on their target list. As such, it is easy to discount this avenue of attack, but the two are inseparable. The GOP attack on teacher unions is more than an attempt to negate their political power or to erode the labor movement as a whole. It is an attack on the profession of education.

In this post-George W Bush economy, teachers have been a convenient scapegoat for right wingers in both media and politics who readily point out to workers having a hard time that teachers make more than they do and still get the summer off. Lost from the conversation is the fact that teacher salary increases since 1999 were less than the rate of inflation in that period, or that CEO salaries in the last 35 years have increased 3 times as much as teacher salaries.

Money is tight for everyone these days, and losing ground in salary hardly constitutes a war. Then again, the GOP is hardly content to only go after teachers’ pocketbooks.

Under the guise of “working to improve education,” GOP reforms are going after the teachers themselves. New rules are in place all across the country to increase “accountability” with new standards for evaluation and reform of the existing tenure system. Much of the evaluation system is tied to student performance on standardized tests, putting the same kind of pressure on teachers as those tests do on the students. And since there are already problems with the validity of the tests in evaluating students, this goes for teacher evaluations, in spades.

In a study by Vanderbilt University on offering teachers bonuses based on improvement in test scores, it was found that teachers who were offered bonuses for improving student test results produced no more improvement than the control group. Tying those to evaluations will have the same results.

What it will do, along with other reforms in the teacher evaluation system, is offer administrators a tool to force good experienced teachers — those with higher than average paychecks — into early retirement or even out of the profession, short of that goal.

Between vilifying teachers in the media, chipping away at pay and other benefit packages, and a new evaluation system that empowers administrators who would arbitrarily terminate good teachers to meet their budgets, the teaching profession is becoming less desirable. The only thing keeping enough teachers in the system is a lousy economy, and that’s been improving the last several years. If it continues to do so, filling those mounting vacancies with qualified personnel will prove difficult. Our new higher standards will only exacerbate that.

Rearguard Action
No war on education would be complete without an attack on the idea itself. Republicans have been doing their best to malign science for years. First they went after the theory of evolution. Since the ’60s, they’ve also tried to discredit research pointing to health hazards from cigarettes and asbestos. Now, the biggest target is Global Climate Change.

Evidence continues to mount against the deniers with 2014 coming in as the warmest year ever. Climate deniers have reacted by softening their stance. Since they lack a scientific basis with which to bolster their point of view, they preface their comments with “I’m not a scientist, but…” After which, they feel free to offer whatever unsubstantiated malarkey they please. The implication being that their opinion based on ideology alone is just as valid as any scientific conclusion based on data, study and research.

The effect of all of this is to devalue education beyond basic literacy and arithmetic. A population which does not value education won’t fuss when it disappears.

The Republican goal ultimately isn’t to eliminate education completely, but only for those who cannot foot the bill for its cost on their own. Even then they will be happy to leave a vestige of it standing, though diminished, as a conduit through which to funnel our tax money into the coffers of their corporate benefactors. When they are done, education as we know it today will be a privilege for the wealthy.

h/t: EpicTimes Image: Creative Commons

The US Government screws up almost everything it touches. The US Government has really screwed up education. Most money spent in the world with the least to show for it. Time for a little good ole competition.

That is a crock of shit and you know it. Whenever you put profit in front of quality, it always fails. Look at the quality of goods coming out of china....same thing.

The US postal Service improved considerably when faced with the competition of UPS and Fedex.

We don't need a filthy ass government monopoly on education and we sure as hell don't need the oppression of the government taking our money by force and wasting it on a terrible education system. . We can do better than that.

Profit is a good thing by the way. It is a much better motivator for excellence than government bureaucracy. He beats the hell out government inefficiency and corruption.

I am always amazed at the Liberal mindset that is afraid of liberty and personal choice. It seems like the only choice that a Liberal wants an individual to have is the choice to kill their child on demand for the sake of convenience. No other freedoms allowed like the freedom to use your education dollar for quality education instead of what the filthy ass government doles out to you.

We don't need a filthy ass corporate monopoly on education and we sure as hell don't need the oppression of the childrens education taking our lives by force and wasting it on a terrible tax system. . We can do better than that.

I am always amazed at the right wing propaganda mindset that is afraid of liberty and personal choice. It seems like the only choice that a rightee wants an individual to have is the choice to keep on having children on demand for the sake of convenience. No other freedoms allowed like the freedom to use your education dollar for quality education instead of what the filthy ass corporation doles out to you.

When this happens, the people are gonna be really pissed off. You want this. We The People, do not.

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

In the end our children will suffer.

Do you know that counting Devos we have had eleven people serving as Secretary of Education? The first one, appointed by President Carter, had no education degree or teaching experience?

In fact of the eleven, only four had education degrees. Only four had ever been teachers. President Obama's Secretary of Education who served for six of his eight years had no education degree or teaching experience.

What ALL of those eleven people did have, however, was a deep interest in education and a desire to improve education in America. And not all, but most, including Devos, have devoted a great deal of their adult lives to working in and with organizations devoted to improving education.

Nevertheless, the USA who once boasted the finest education system in the world continues to slide in math, reading, and science and is far behind most industrialized nations of the world despite spending more on public education than almost everybody else.

So Devos was chosen because she won't follow the status quo and will choose to do things differently. And frankly, given our abysmal track record, I think she deserves a chance. She couldn't possibly do any worse, And she is working for a boss who will fire her if she doesn't get it done.

Whew.....that was a close one :confused:...............................................

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I agree with your assessment. Once in while the truth from progressives sneaks out.
To get rid of indoctrination, start by eliminating the pledge of allegiance...the biggest form of indoctrination. I have a hard time pledging allegiance to a country....I pledge allegiance to my lord and savior. Then cut back on all history classes as that will not get a kid a job that pays six figures.
As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

As a university professor, I will welcome an influx of students capable and willing to meet our requirements. By-the-way, what are the requirements for DeVos's job? I am still looking for a definitive list of those requirements.

There are none. Just as there are very few requirements for President or Supreme Court for that matter. Exactly what is your point?
My point is the leftist/liberal fake news liars are shrieking about her lack of qualifications. What are the qualifications? If there are no job requirements (qualifications), just exactly how is DeVos "unqualified" for a job with no posted requirements to hold the job?
I ask again, how is DeVos unqualified for the job at DOE?

Whew.....that was a close one :confused:...............................................

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I agree with your assessment. Once in while the truth from progressives sneaks out.
To get rid of indoctrination, start by eliminating the pledge of allegiance...the biggest form of indoctrination. I have a hard time pledging allegiance to a country....I pledge allegiance to my lord and savior. Then cut back on all history classes as that will not get a kid a job that pays six figures.

As a university professor, I will welcome an influx of students capable and willing to meet our requirements. By-the-way, what are the requirements for DeVos's job? I am still looking for a definitive list of those requirements.

There are none. Just as there are very few requirements for President or Supreme Court for that matter. Exactly what is your point?
My point is the leftist/liberal fake news liars are shrieking about her lack of qualifications. What are the qualifications? If there are no job requirements (qualifications), just exactly how is DeVos "unqualified" for a job with no posted requirements to hold the job?
I ask again, how is DeVos unqualified for the job at DOE?

The Department of Education was instituted in President Carter's last two years. The first Secretary of Education was an amazing woman, but she was a lawyer and judge who had no education degree, no education experience, was not involved in any way with education or organizations promoting education. So what was Carter's rationale in appointing her? What credentials did she have for the job? Who knows.

At least Devos has devoted most of her adult life running or working with organizations that promote better education. She probably has a better handle on what works and doesn't work than somebody who has been on the inside of the education institution for their entire career and therefore can't or won't see any better way to do something.

Anyhow she can't possibly do any worse. And if she doesn't make things any better, then she has a lot of company with the ten other people who have been in that position.

More than 5000 people work for the Department of Education with an average salary of just under six figures. I would like to dissolve the Dept. of Education and make it a subdivision of some other department, maybe Dept. of the Interior. And I would like to make it a division of about twenty skilled researchers and statisticians who would gather and compile data from all the nation's school systems along with performance scores and make this available to whomever needed it.

Schools could get information on admission requirements, tuition rates, rankings, etc. from all the nation's trade schools, specialty schools, colleges, and universities for instance. Or could see how their student's proficiency exams, graduation rates, etc. compared with others so they could know how they are doing.

And the federal government would be entirely out of the business of funding or dictating to any school how it must conduct itself on anything, what it could or could not teach, and what it was required to serve in its school lunches, etc.

Yes inner city schools need work. Who would want to teach there for basically no pay? I have heard little mention of kids bearing any responsibility from anyone here. I have heard little of parents responsibility. Its all the teachers fault. I do know one thing...give me defective parts its bard to build a high quality machine. This topic also is location dependent as where I live the public schools far out perform the charter schools here which atre designed for kids who couldn't cut the mustard in the public schools. So they attend project based schools. It is geographical dependent. Rural schools generally do just fine.

Ok...health care for profit=failure. Now we will do the same with education. The wealthy spit on the poor.

Specifically, explain how the wealthy spit on the poor when all the education changes proposed are tremendous benefits to the low and middle-income parents? Low and middle-income parents would have the same choices as the more affluent. How is that a bad thing?

the U.S. spends $40,000 on each prisoner and spends $8,000 on each student.
So let's throw kids in jail. Problem solved!

You know owebo...or whatever your stupid ass fucking name is, the way that you and your ilk always say unfettered, unregulated capitalism is the answer to all our woes, makes me think that you are part of the criminal, predatory, capitalistic society we are in. That said, it makes me wonder what type of business you own where you try to practice these immorale designs and it also makes me laugh at the sleepless nights that you must have thinking about the chances of thieving and bilking the public you lose having to tolerate and adhere to a lawful, free, Democratic, fair society.

Ok...health care for profit=failure. Now we will do the same with education. The wealthy spit on the poor.

Specifically, explain how the wealthy spit on the poor when all the education changes proposed are tremendous benefits to the low and middle-income parents? Low and middle-income parents would have the same choices as the more affluent. How is that a bad thing?

Ya know?...go tell that bull shit to some one else, some kid maybe because Ive been around a long time and Ive seen this country through the years...whats supposed to work and what doesnt and why... I KNOW how it works...better than you do! You fucking people will say ANYTHING just to further the transfer of wealth and dumb down America. Public ed will die...I believe that because the wealthy have all the money and power and MY vote doesnt matter. The politicians are no longer afraid of the public. All you fucking ass holes want, is the money and where do you GET it from?....the poor and working class. The same fucking place where you got all the rest. You get your money by fucking other people or even other companies...its a rabid time for you fuckers. Public ed will die, the rich will get even MORE powerful and the population?...lol, let them eat cake.

Yeah, Im pissed. Theres gonna be a lot more people pissed too...you wait 'n see.

THE BLOG
The Defunding of Public Education and the Creation of a Permanent Underclass
03/18/2014 06:40 pm ET | Updated May 18, 2014

[...]

As more urban ‘failing’ schools close down, more students will end up utilizing school voucher programs to attend private or charter schools, if they do not end up in juvenile facilit. Education is the key to lowering crime, but the U.S. spends $40,000 on each prisoner and spends $8,000 on each student. This number needs to be reversed. Elections are coming up soon and we need to make this issue a major priority in every campaign.

As I said early on this thread, the ONLY solution Progressives have for any and all of their failed programs is that the ONLY reason it failed was that it needs MORE MONEY!

From the far left, Progressive site, the" Huffington Post:

From 24/7 Wall St.:

In 2011, for the first time in decades, the amount the nation’s schools spent per student fell. According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s latest release on education spending, the nation’s schools spent $10,560 per student in 2011, down from $10,600 per student in 2010. In most states, however, spending increased.

Based on the U.S. Census Bureau’s latest release on education spending per student, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the states that spent the most and least on education. For the past seven years, New York spent more than any other state, at just over $19,000 per student. Utah spent less than a third of that.

States Spending The Least On Education: 24/7 Wall St. | The Huffington Post

Whether or not someone has a degree in education to head the DOE is foolish. At every university in the nation, the college of education has, by far, the lowest entrance requirements and lowest graduating requirements.

Ya know?...go tell that bull shit to some one else, some kid maybe because Ive been around a long time and Ive seen this country through the years...whats supposed to work and what doesnt and why... I KNOW how it works...better than you do! You fucking people will say ANYTHING just to further the transfer of wealth and dumb down America. Public ed will die...I believe that because the wealthy have all the money and power and MY vote doesnt matter. The politicians are no longer afraid of the public. All you fucking ass holes want, is the money and where do you GET it from?....the poor and working class. The same fucking place where you got all the rest. You get your money by fucking other people or even other companies...its a rabid time for you fuckers. Public ed will die, the rich will get even MORE powerful and the population?...lol, let them eat cake.

Thank you for explicitly explaining that you have NOTHING and are incapable of answering a simple question. Your desperation is duly noted.

Thatcher-dismissing-personal-attacks_zpsuqszbvn1.png

Yeah, Im [I'm] pissed. Theres [there's] gonna be a lot more people pissed too...you wait 'n see.

I see you have a government education. Me too but it was many decades ago when our schools were superior to those of today.

Why are people going to be "pissed" when the quality of education improves? Nothing petulant former President Barack Hussein Obama did worked, why not take a different path?

Forum List

Back