Did President Trump violate campaign finance laws? Professor Dershowitz doesn't think so!

And Dershowitz is a HUGE LIBERAL!

A few things are clear. A candidate is free to contribute to his or her own campaign. It also is not criminal for a candidate to pay hush money to women whose disclosures might endanger his campaign. So if candidate Trump paid hush money to his two accusers, there would be no violation of any campaign or other laws. To be sure, if he did so for the purpose of helping his campaign — as distinguished from helping his marriage — his campaign would have to disclose any such contribution, and failure to do so might be a violation of a campaign law, but the payments themselves would be entirely lawful.

If, on the other hand, Michael Cohen made the payments by himself, without direction from the president, that would constitute an impermissible campaign contribution from a third party. But if Cohen was merely acting as Trump’s lawyer and advancing Trump’s payments, with an expectation of repayment, then it would be hard to find a campaign finance crime other than failure to report by the campaign.

Failure to report all campaign contributions is fairly common in political campaigns. Moreover, the offense is committed not by the candidate but, rather, by the campaign and is generally subject to a fine. Though it is wrong, it certainly is not the kind of high crime and misdemeanor that could serve as the basis for a constitutionally authorized impeachment and removal of a duly elected president.

Moreover, prosecutors should be reluctant to rely on the uncorroborated word of a guilty defendant who pleaded guilty to lying and defrauding. Thomas Jefferson once observed that a criminal statute, to be fairly enforceable, must be so clear that it can be understood by the average person who reads it “while running.”

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

He also thought OJ was innocent.

The jury agreed with him...

A few things are clear. A candidate is free to contribute to his or her own campaign. It also is not criminal for a candidate to pay hush money to women whose disclosures might endanger his campaign. So if candidate Trump paid hush money to his two accusers, there would be no violation of any campaign or other laws. To be sure, if he did so for the purpose of helping his campaign — as distinguished from helping his marriage — his campaign would have to disclose any such contribution, and failure to do so might be a violation of a campaign law, but the payments themselves would be entirely lawful.

If, on the other hand, Michael Cohen made the payments by himself, without direction from the president, that would constitute an impermissible campaign contribution from a third party. But if Cohen was merely acting as Trump’s lawyer and advancing Trump’s payments, with an expectation of repayment, then it would be hard to find a campaign finance crime other than failure to report by the campaign.

Failure to report all campaign contributions is fairly common in political campaigns. Moreover, the offense is committed not by the candidate but, rather, by the campaign and is generally subject to a fine. Though it is wrong, it certainly is not the kind of high crime and misdemeanor that could serve as the basis for a constitutionally authorized impeachment and removal of a duly elected president.

Moreover, prosecutors should be reluctant to rely on the uncorroborated word of a guilty defendant who pleaded guilty to lying and defrauding. Thomas Jefferson once observed that a criminal statute, to be fairly enforceable, must be so clear that it can be understood by the average person who reads it “while running.”

Bribery is an impeachable offence.
So is extortion.........lol

Stormy was selling the story for bucks but no one was buying.......Because in their minds Hillary was a shoe in to win.........

She has stated she screwed Trump for personal and Financial gain.........tried to sell it before......tried to sell it 3 weeks before the election and got 130k to STFU..........

She did it for MONEY.........for a one night stand........And now it's the GREAT RUSSIAN INVASION.........LOL

Patience darlin.
Read about dons $6billion debt in the 80s when us banks wouldn't lend to him?
Miraculously relieved by the Russian who bought 5 condos with cash?
Amusing how the Time ass spanking occured years ago and the hush money only came up 2 weeks before the election?
The con should thank comey who released the FBI anti hill stuff just before the election?
Try to post minus CAPs 1//2 educated people can read normal text

Stormy Daniels tried to sell story on Trump weeks before election | Daily Mail Online

EXCLUSIVE: How Stormy Daniels tried to sell story about her one-night-stand with Donald Trump for $200,000 THREE weeks before the election but worked out a deal with Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen after she got no takers
  • Stormy Daniels's manager offered her client's story to celebrity magazines, television shows and websites in the run-up to the 2016 election
  • The titillating tell all was peddled to the media around October 17, three weeks before the election
  • But the adult actress apparently had no takers as Hillary was expected to win at the time, and Stormy's story would have been worth a fraction of her asking price
  • Daniels then accepted the $130k from Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen, who had made her the offer after Trump won the nomination
  • 'It looks to me that she accepted Cohen's money because she could not get the money she wanted from anyone else,' one media executive said
  • Daniels told her version of her tryst with Trump to Anderson Cooper on CBS's 60 Minutes on Sunday
  • Stormy made it seem as though she did not seek to sell her story, telling Cooper: 'Suddenly people are reaching out to me again, offering me money. Large amounts of money'
Daily Mail, the daily uk laugh
Enjoy this
"The hush money agreements amounted to an illegal corporate donation made directly to a candidate and an illegally large individual donation. The extent of Trump’s involvement was made plain by charging documents which described how Cohen submitted false invoices so that Trump could reimburse him for the payments.

As Cohen’s lawyer, Lanny Davis, said in a statement afterwards: “If those payments were a crime for Michael Cohen, then why wouldn’t they be a crime for Donald Trump?”

Dershowitz is not a liberal. He's nothing but a conservitard stooge these days.

Dershowitz is a classic Liberal, he's just not a progressive twat.
Too many words in you response. It can be shortened to make perfect sense:

"Dershowitz is a twat."

The best you can do is try to mangle my statement?

What a fucking cuck you are.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

I didn't mangle it, I fixed it. What a fucking idiot you are.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

Btw, you know "cuck" is an insult usually applied to conservitards by alt right conservitards right?

If you're gonna insult someone you should understand the word you are using.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

I didn't mangle it, I fixed it. What a fucking idiot you are.

It's only fixed in your dime store empty head.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

Btw, you know "cuck" is an insult usually applied to conservitards by alt right conservitards right?

I did it intentionally to get you to go grammar nazi.

I win.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

I win.
Please show me where I said anything about your grammar.

You really aren't the sharpest tool in the box are you.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

I win.

Grammar, spelling, use of words, I'm an Engineer not an English Major.

What butthurt you possess.

"Dershowitz is a twat."

I win.

Engineer or not you are a dumbass. "Cuck" is what alt-right lunatics call conservatives that still possess some common sense.

I win.

Engineer or not you are a dumbass. "Cuck" is what alt-right lunatics call conservatives that still possess some common sense.

Fine, you are now a "cock"

feel better, snowflake?

The Constitution says bribery, with no qualifier.
Who is bribed, and PROVE IT!
It's not my problem.
Then you shouldn't have responded to the thread!
Why not?
You said
It also is not criminal for a candidate to pay hush money to women
I addressed your comment.
Not my comment the professor's comment and show us where he is wrong, if you can!
He’s not wrong. He points out that not reporting a campaign contribution is wrong and is a violation of campaign finance laws.

Who is bribed, and PROVE IT!
It's not my problem.
Then you shouldn't have responded to the thread!
Why not?
You said
It also is not criminal for a candidate to pay hush money to women
I addressed your comment.
Not my comment the professor's comment and show us where he is wrong, if you can!
He’s not wrong. He points out that not reporting a campaign contribution is wrong and is a violation of campaign finance laws.
What campaign violation....he tried to keep it away from the family. THAT breaks no law, and prove different!

Poor Alan - In a desperate attempt to remain relevant, a once respected attorney turns full time Fox shill and Dotard Duhfender.
He and Rudy G could have made a graceful exit stage left.
Instead, they go out with clown makeup and wearing lampshades. Sad :(

I win.

Fine, you are now a "cock"

feel better, snowflake?
And you're still a dumbass.

I would imagine you're used to it by now.

Forum List

Back