🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Did you work as a child?

My parents bought and sold houses so yes we were put to work early. At five I recall being told to paint with a roller. I wasn't worth a shit at it so they stuck me in the closets to paint those and then told me I was worthless. I tried mowing lawns but was too small and too slow push that old rotary mower; parents would not let me use the gas one but did do weed pulling for a lady with a large flower garden down the street (fifty cents was a lot back then). My grandpa would have me pull nails with him and straighten them on the concrete (he always had a silver liberty dollar for me). At eight my aunt hired me to babysit and that was a start of other people paying me to babysit for them until I left home.

I' have to say yes I learned a lot from all those experiences, some good, some bad and it all builds character.

Happy Easter egg everyone.
Elementary school age in the fields of near by farm picking beans , ,with my family to earn extra money. 12years and older working on construction sites . Yes it did build character they worked me like a man paid and treated me that way . Bad side joint pains later in life.
Try a nutmeg capsule. It helps pain sans side effects. If it is already turned to arthritis, take turmeric capsules. Best wishes on your comfort and freedom from pain.

Happy Easter egg everyone.
Elementary school age in the fields of near by farm picking beans , ,with my family to earn extra money. 12years and older working on construction sites . Yes it did build character they worked me like a man paid and treated me that way . Bad side joint pains later in life.
Try a nutmeg capsule. It helps pain sans side effects. If it is already turned to arthritis, take turmeric capsules. Best wishes on your comfort and freedom from pain.
Oh dear, lg325, my little corrections nazi bumped me over to the search engine which placed an ad for SAM-E. I forgot all about that one. THX, Corrections Nazi, Ms. Calabash, wherever you are.... :auiqs.jpg:

Shoveling driveways age 11, paper route age 12, construction assistant age 15, golf course assistant age 16, grocery store bagger age 18, math tutor age 19. It was all good.
Outta the park, Marathon Mike.

I was obliged to work part-time jobs from the time I started HS. They were all lousy jobs at lousy pay. I had to pay my school tuition and expenses with my earnings. My older siblings (I'm the youngest) went to public school so they had to pay "room & board" at home.

In retrospect, I would have preferred to have parents to pushed me harder to do well in school (which was my REAL job), and put less emphasis on PT jobs.

No character building. Military service did a bit of that.

I was obliged to work part-time jobs from the time I started HS. They were all lousy jobs at lousy pay. I had to pay my school tuition and expenses with my earnings. My older siblings (I'm the youngest) went to public school so they had to pay "room & board" at home.

In retrospect, I would have preferred to have parents to pushed me harder to do well in school (which was my REAL job), and put less emphasis on PT jobs.

No character building. Military service did a bit of that.
Had the same type of parents, had to pay room and board. I also wished they would have helped on my education. I may have gone to college or trade school and done better in life.

Last edited:
Work? as a child? what's this, lol .....only if you consider me helping my mom bake cookies on a rainy winter afternoon....

or helping polish the wooden dining table, or the piano....because apart from that sort of thing my dears..... nothing, it was nothing.

and then told me I was worthless.

I'm so sorry, RodISHI.
Thanks Disir, really no need to be though. Everything serves a purpose in this world even those not so pleasant things. I think you do know I am an artist. In my twenties after learning God gave me a talent I started painting windows for the holidays and within a few years I was making more per hour than my dad ever made as a pipefitter. At one point I was averaging over two hundred an hour back in the late 90's. My dad pointed out to his mom how much I made per hour in my twenties because she told me that artist starve to death. Anyhow it all works out. I do appreciate your good thoughts.

1617590805925.png

Farmboy.

Didn't get paid anything until my father started giving me a hundred dollars a month my last two years of high school.

Don't regret it.

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

:)

My first job was babysitting the neighbors over our back yard. I got $2. for the evening and a dollar tip. I saved up several evening's earnings and bought a pair of slacks in school colors for which I got a paddling for being extravagant. My parents were poor, and they were counting on a little rent. I had no idea how poor we were because everyone who was lucky enough for their daddies to come home all seemed the same to me. It was a good lesson that taught family first, and older kids in the larger families had to set a good example for the younger kids in everything. But oh I was so happy with those pretty royal blue slacks on football game nights. Go Mustangs!

:yes_text12:

Last edited:
I delivered newspapers (the Sioux City Journal), babysat, and walked beans, all before I was 14.

At 14 and 15, I detasseled corn for two summers.

I sucked at Little League.
What's walking beans?
1617591282896.png

You walk the soybean fields pulling the weeds in the rows. A eighty acre field could take quite some time to do.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Was it a character building experience for you?

I don't know if it built character or was a reflection of character, but yes. I was out getting paid to rake leaves even before I was really big enough. One of my brothers would get neighborhood jobs and then flake on them so I would do them cause I didn't want to be tainted by his lazy rep I guess. Then I delivered papers from about 10-13, mowed people's yards, got my first under the table job in a greasy spoon cleaning when I was 14 and my first proper paycheck job when I was 16. I have never been out of work except for a few months when I moved from one city to the next, but that was by choice. I got the first job I applied for. I just wasn't in a hurry until I ran out of money.

Forum List

Back