🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Did you work as a child?

14 was my first legitimate job. Before that, I did summer jobs and stuff for cash.

My first job was at 9. I worked on a farm. Baled hay and branded cattle. It was a family farm and I wasn't paid beyond my allowance and I have no problem with that. My first job job was running the bumper cars at an amusement park at 14.
Who got an allowance??

Greg

I got an allowance when I was really little for cleaning my room and for doing other house chores My Mom would put every room name in a hat and all of us had to pull a piece of paper until they were all gone and whatever room we got we had to clean real thorough. My Mom would make us take plates off the cabinet shelves and wipe them down every week. She was fanatical. Which is why I'm a slob today. :lol: but we got an allowance for doing the chores. By the time I was 14 I was babysitting, house sitting, and pet sitting for money and I think allowance stopped around then. My first job was at McDonalds in Las Vegas on Paradise rd. LOL.
Our "allowance" was education, food and hand me down clothing...except for my sister; she was the eldest. Her clothes were new. It was a win win situation though; we'd work for dad while attending Uni...(weekends and holidays) and in return we got accommodation in Brisbane, a car and a tank of fuel for the week ...plus all the food that was in the 'fridge. Tuition was free though text books were Dad's cost. ...plus we got $15 pw for odds and sods...ferry and stuff. We lived opposite the river to Qld Uni so would catch the ferry across; their Library was excellent. I remember saving for a month to take a Lass to Dinner...........main course and no booze. lol

No allowance before then though.

Greg

140 papers after school every day. Sun was 5 AM.Had a checking account...age 12. When shcool was out I did hot tar and gravel roofing before delivering the papers. 630 am until 300. Boss let me leave a lil early as opposed to the other guys 7-330

OH. Winter people (cheap motherfucking Jooz) bought unsplit chords of firewood dumped in the drive. I split and stacked on sat and sun.

Struggles of the past become nostalgic memories of the present :cool:

I don't miss it all, except for the ease of making money and the many means of making it compared to today's lack of availability and how that stunts the development and drive of kids today. Many don't even play outside any more.

My first job was at 9. I worked on a farm. Baled hay and branded cattle. It was a family farm and I wasn't paid beyond my allowance and I have no problem with that. My first job job was running the bumper cars at an amusement park at 14.
Farm work was just allowance for me started getting an hourly at 8 years old working as a chain man on my grandfather's survey crew. NEVER forget that first project at Candlewood lake. Big planned unit development with Lake clubhouse,tennis courts, basketball courts 3200 lots. I on occasion go up there today beautiful place lots of tree ridges and ravines.I have a couple lots up there never did put anything on them. I pull my camper to them every once in a while during ice fishing season.

Forum List

Back