Discussion about Ukraine during Harris-Trump debate

Dissident

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2020

This week, on September 11, the first presidential debate between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump took place.

Compared to the debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump in June, the opponents used the words “Ukraine” and “Ukrainians” somewhat less often, but they mentioned the name of Vladimir Putin, the President of Russia, more often.
In June, the words "Ukraine" and "Ukrainians" were mentioned 25 times, and on September 11, they were used 19 times; at the same time, the word "China" was used only 13 times.

In June, the name of the Russian President was mentioned 17 times, and on September 11, his name was mentioned 18 times.

Below I would like to draw your attention to some points.

None of the debaters addressed the question - What kind of a country is modern Ukraine? Although there have been repeated cases of Nazi insignia being used in the Ukrainian army in the past month; see the thread Nazi insignia on Ukrainian soldiers in Kursk region.

Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico has been the only leader of a NATO country, who has spoken out on this matter so far; see the quote below:​
We all talk about fascism, Nazism, and yet we tacitly tolerate the fact that there are units running around Ukraine which have a very clear designation, which are linked to movements that we now consider dangerous and forbidden.​

It is interesting to note that the response of the Ukrainian authorities, which was published on the website of the Ukrainian state news agency, does not deny the fact of the use of Nazi symbols in the Ukrainian army.

Below are a few points that the opponents did talk about during the debates.

Kamala Harris:
When I went to meet with President Zelenskyy, I've now met with him over five times. The reality is, it has been about standing as America always should, as a leader upholding international rules and norms.​

Ms. Harris constantly talks about international rules and norms. She spoke about this at the Summit on Peace in Ukraine in June this year too, see the quote below:​
… it is one of our defining missions to uphold the international rules-based order to defend it, strengthen it, and promote it. And no doubt, it must be a priority for us all.​
see the official website of the White House.

But when it is not in Americans' interests to abide by international rules, Americans easily forget about these rules. For example, when the American army invaded Iraq under the false pretext of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction; see in this regard the thread A rules-based world - on the threshold of a conference in Switzerland.

As for Russian President V. Putin, both Kamala Harris and Donald Trump have accused each other of Putin supporting his/her opponent; see the quotes below:

Donald Trump:
Putin endorsed her (Kamala Harris) last week. Said I hope she wins. And I think he meant it. Because what he's gotten away with is absolutely incredible. It wouldn't have happened with me.​
Kamala Harris:
If Donald Trump were president, Putin would be sitting in Kyiv right now… Putin would be sitting in Kyiv with his eyes on the rest of Europe.​

Source

This week, on September 11, the first presidential debate between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump took place.

Compared to the debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump in June, the opponents used the words “Ukraine” and “Ukrainians” somewhat less often, but they mentioned the name of Vladimir Putin, the President of Russia, more often.
In June, the words "Ukraine" and "Ukrainians" were mentioned 25 times, and on September 11, they were used 19 times; at the same time, the word "China" was used only 13 times.

In June, the name of the Russian President was mentioned 17 times, and on September 11, his name was mentioned 18 times.

Below I would like to draw your attention to some points.

None of the debaters addressed the question - What kind of a country is modern Ukraine? Although there have been repeated cases of Nazi insignia being used in the Ukrainian army in the past month; see the thread Nazi insignia on Ukrainian soldiers in Kursk region.

Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico has been the only leader of a NATO country, who has spoken out on this matter so far; see the quote below:

It is interesting to note that the response of the Ukrainian authorities, which was published on the website of the Ukrainian state news agency, does not deny the fact of the use of Nazi symbols in the Ukrainian army.

Below are a few points that the opponents did talk about during the debates.

Kamala Harris:

Ms. Harris constantly talks about international rules and norms. She spoke about this at the Summit on Peace in Ukraine in June this year too, see the quote below:

see the official website of the White House.

But when it is not in Americans' interests to abide by international rules, Americans easily forget about these rules. For example, when the American army invaded Iraq under the false pretext of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction; see in this regard the thread A rules-based world - on the threshold of a conference in Switzerland.

As for Russian President V. Putin, both Kamala Harris and Donald Trump have accused each other of Putin supporting his/her opponent; see the quotes below:

Donald Trump:

Kamala Harris:

Source
Historical correction, I don't think they would hold a debate on September 11th, they may have on September 10th thoigh.

Forum List

Back