🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Do athletes make too much???

A pro athlete has a much higher skill level than a CEO.

really?.....some guy sitting on the bench,plays maybe 50 games a year,has a .240 batt avg and is still making 7-8 million a year.....yea thats a skill level.....

I guarantee you that Derek Jeter could do a better job at running a corporation than the CEO of that corporation could do playing shortstop for the Yankees.

really?.....some guy sitting on the bench,plays maybe 50 games a year,has a .240 batt avg and is still making 7-8 million a year.....yea thats a skill level.....

I guarantee you that Derek Jeter could do a better job at running a corporation than the CEO of that corporation could do playing shortstop for the Yankees.

Yes, comrade. Capitalists are greedy and incompetent. That's why government runs our economy so much better than free markets do. The Proletariat will rise and crush the Bourgeoisie! It will be a Red October!

your guarantee means squat

It doesn't matter.

If people are stupid enough to pay the prices that allow those salaries then good for the athletes.

The expansion of TV contracts is what has allowed the salaries to increase to such levels. Ticket prices are an important part of it, but the TV money is the engine that makes a guy hitting at the mendoza line rake in $1M a year.

You might be right.

I have to say that I never watch sports on the idiot box and I certainly don't buy any pro team merchandise. IMO there is not too much that is sadder than some 40 plus guy wearing a Tom Brady Jersey.

In the old days, people would pack a lunch and bring blankets to watch their Village's Soldiers battle invaders from another Village.

As you can imagine, there was quite a bit of cheering for the Home Team because, if they lost, the Invaders could pillage, plunder and often rape as much as they so wished.

IIRC, there were civilian spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Even before then, there was a time when Single Combat would sometimes decide the fate of a Battle or even an entire War.

Anybody remember the Story of David and Goliath? Or the opening minutes in the Movie "Troy"?

It's ingrained in us to "Cheer For The Home Team"

Today's athletes stir up genetically inherited feelings (genetic memory, look it up) of wanting to do so.

you would guarantee it?.....first off i did not mention a first string player.....i said a Bench warmer.....and i bet Jeter would be just as bad running that Company as the CEO would be at playing SS....

:clap2:
I saw a poll the other day asking "Do CEOs make too much" and that made me ask why the question was made in the first place.. in light of the following:

1. Tiger Woods, $75 Million
2. Kobe Bryant, $53 Million
3. LeBron James, $48 Million
4. Roger Federer, $47 Million
5. Phil Mickelson, $46.5 Million
6. David Beckham, $40 Million
7. Cristiano Ronaldo, $38 Million
8. Alex Rodriguez, $35 Million
9. Michael Schumacher, $34 Million
10. Lionel Messi, $32.3 Million
World?s 10 Highest Paid Athletes | Breaking News for Black America

Now the popular cliched meme is corporations make too much profit... complainers obviously don't have 401ks!
Or that the CEOs make 400 times what their workers make.. complainers usually forget to ask how many CEOs there are versus how many workers!

So how about the above 10 athletes that GET all their money from either ticket prices or from being shills for advertisers and endorsements.. all based on making money off the "poor" middle class!!

Athletes are entertainers and are paid based on how many fannies they can get into the seats. They ARE the product. They ARE what people pay to see.

A CEO is like the manager of a baseball team. They serve a valuable purpose but are not the sole reason a company makes profit. In your example, a manager would be paid $100 million a year while the players would make $40,000.

That is the disparity between workers and senior executives in industry

Every athlete is a private contractor.

Comparing them to employees is sketchy at best.

A golfer is more like a private contractor. He gets paid by how he performs in tournaments. Baseball and Football players are more like employees. They are hired by the team and paid an annual salary. His employer can fine him or fire him.

you would guarantee it?.....first off i did not mention a first string player.....i said a Bench warmer.....and i bet Jeter would be just as bad running that Company as the CEO would be at playing SS....

But... clean has all those examples of history of great athletes turned corporate CEO

:rolleyes:

I saw a poll the other day asking "Do CEOs make too much" and that made me ask why the question was made in the first place.. in light of the following:

Now the popular cliched meme is corporations make too much profit... complainers obviously don't have 401ks!
Or that the CEOs make 400 times what their workers make.. complainers usually forget to ask how many CEOs there are versus how many workers!

So how about the above 10 athletes that GET all their money from either ticket prices or from being shills for advertisers and endorsements.. all based on making money off the "poor" middle class!!

Athletes are entertainers and are paid based on how many fannies they can get into the seats. They ARE the product. They ARE what people pay to see.

A CEO is like the manager of a baseball team. They serve a valuable purpose but are not the sole reason a company makes profit. In your example, a manager would be paid $100 million a year while the players would make $40,000.

That is the disparity between workers and senior executives in industry

Are you so stupid as to think that Tom Brady makes more than Bill Belichick?

Or that Belichick makes more than Robert Kraft?

That's what i thought.

While Brady may make more in any given year, his career will be slightly shorter than Bill's..... By about thirty or forty years

TOP 10 PRO COACHING SALARIES
Forbes' list of the top 10 professional coaching salaries:

Coach Annual salary
Bill Belichick $7.5 million
Mike Shanahan $7 million
Doc Rivers $7 million
Jeff Fisher $7 million
Pete Carroll $7 million

When Brady is hawking Used Cars on TV, Belichick will STILL be making $7.5 Million a year.

Belichick IS the team. The Pats could lose ANY player and still be dangerous BECAUSE of Belichick.

Shit, his first Soupie Bowl win...? He didn't even have enough Corners. Against one the great QBs of our time. He used RECEIVERS and coached them up so well, they stopped one of the great passing games in history.

Look at What Pete Carroll has done in Seattle. Harbaugh in Sang Frang.

LONG after all those meat heads have moved on, Coaches like that will still be in high demand and paid Top Dollar.

Yes.

Add in most professional sports in this country are heavily subsidized by the State.

Another example of funneling public funds into private hands.

:doubt:

Although, they do make a lot of money, it is also "new money" for most of them and therefore it becomes their own worst enemy, and sometimes makes them think they can get away with literal murder thus figurative suicide.

But no, they are not being overpaid in a free-market economy. It is called capitalism at it's finest even though it is not perfect. Nothing is.

Last edited:
The expansion of TV contracts is what has allowed the salaries to increase to such levels. Ticket prices are an important part of it, but the TV money is the engine that makes a guy hitting at the mendoza line rake in $1M a year.

You might be right.

I have to say that I never watch sports on the idiot box and I certainly don't buy any pro team merchandise. IMO there is not too much that is sadder than some 40 plus guy wearing a Tom Brady Jersey.

In the old days, people would pack a lunch and bring blankets to watch their Village's Soldiers battle invaders from another Village.

As you can imagine, there was quite a bit of cheering for the Home Team because, if they lost, the Invaders could pillage, plunder and often rape as much as they so wished.

Even before then, there was a time when Single Combat would sometimes decide the fate of a Battle or even an entire War.

Anybody remember the Story of David and Goliath? Or the opening minutes in the Movie "Troy"?

Today's athletes stir up genetically inherited feelings (genetic memory, look it up) of wanting to do so.

What a twisted view of history. There were spectators at the First Battle of Manassas. After the battle turned and their position was overrun, they learned watching battles was not a good idea
There is no evidence of spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg. Those civilians that were there we're in the wrong place at the wrong time and were terrified. There was only one civilian killed at Gettysburg

Yes.

Add in most professional sports in this country are heavily subsidized by the State.

Another example of funneling public funds into private hands.

:doubt:

And you think a conservative thinks it is right to subsidize a stadium or whatever??

Nice leap though in your feeble attempt to make a jab

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Yes, comrade. Capitalists are greedy and incompetent. That's why government runs our economy so much better than free markets do. The Proletariat will rise and crush the Bourgeoisie! It will be a Red October!

Wow...you backpeddled really fast on that one.

I think the figures are ridiculous, however, if the market involved is willing to pay - then it is going to be payed.

it's a stupid public which makes these ridiculous figures possible, but that's the market and it should be left alone.

Last edited:

Wow...you backpeddled really fast on that one.

My favorite football team is the "red"skins, in hockey it's the "red" wings. It's my Marxist leanings....

You might be right.

What a twisted view of history. There were spectators at the First Battle of Manassas. After the battle turned and their position was overrun, they learned watching battles was not a good idea
There is no evidence of spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg. Those civilians that were there we're in the wrong place at the wrong time and were terrified. There was only one civilian killed at Gettysburg

Look, bitch.

I said "IIRC"

Know what that means? It means ,"If I Recall Correctly".

if
/if/
Conjunction
Introducing a conditional clause.
Noun
A condition or supposition: "there are so many ifs and buts in the policy".
Synonyms
conjunction. whether - when - in case - supposing
noun. condition

It means there may be some doubt because I'm not really certain because I'm going from memory only.

Get over yourself. Punk

Yes they do....but....

this is a complicated issue and one that has to do with free market values.

They can't make anything without fan support and people are willing to pay stupid money for tickets to see these guys and to buy the products that they endorse.

It's a shame to see it but these are the values that we choose.

This is a necessary evil and cannot simply be eliminated I'm afraid.

Great topic....should be a good thread ... I will be watching

JO

Forum List

Back