🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Do athletes make too much???

I saw a poll the other day asking "Do CEOs make too much" and that made me ask why the question was made in the first place.. in light of the following:

1. Tiger Woods, $75 Million
2. Kobe Bryant, $53 Million
3. LeBron James, $48 Million
4. Roger Federer, $47 Million
5. Phil Mickelson, $46.5 Million
6. David Beckham, $40 Million
7. Cristiano Ronaldo, $38 Million
8. Alex Rodriguez, $35 Million
9. Michael Schumacher, $34 Million
10. Lionel Messi, $32.3 Million
World?s 10 Highest Paid Athletes | Breaking News for Black America

Now the popular cliched meme is corporations make too much profit... complainers obviously don't have 401ks!
Or that the CEOs make 400 times what their workers make.. complainers usually forget to ask how many CEOs there are versus how many workers!

So how about the above 10 athletes that GET all their money from either ticket prices or from being shills for advertisers and endorsements.. all based on making money off the "poor" middle class!!

Yes, the highest paid pros are grossly overpaid, just like the acting community.

Yes, comrade. Capitalists are greedy and incompetent. That's why government runs our economy so much better than free markets do. The Proletariat will rise and crush the Bourgeoisie! It will be a Red October!

Wow...you backpeddled really fast on that one.

My favorite football team is the "red"skins, in hockey it's the "red" wings. It's my Marxist leanings....

Ok ok, you're about to backpeddle out the stadium. We get it

Yes they do....but....

this is a complicated issue and one that has to do with free market values.

They can't make anything without fan support and people are willing to pay stupid money for tickets to see these guys and to buy the products that they endorse.

It's a shame to see it but these are the values that we choose.

This is a necessary evil and cannot simply be eliminated I'm afraid.

Great topic....should be a good thread ... I will be watching

JO

In football, which is the only sport worth watching, people pay to see winners.

They don't go to see their team lose game after game, year after year.

And while having great athletes certainly helps, Coaching is what makes the difference.

Why is it that a team like New England or Pigsburg can pick in the bottom half of the draft, usually in the bottom ten, year after year but produce winners year after year?

Why is it that some Coaches go from one team where they busted out and to another team and be successful every year?

Organization. It's the Organization.

From the Owner on down.

GM, Director of Personnel, Scouting Department, Coaching at all levels, etc.

The Atheletes? How many times have we seen "Super Stars" demand a trade and go to another team and just simply turn into shit? Dozens?

Try HUNDREDS of times. Hundreds.

It's a Team effort. Teams win Football games, not athletes.

And that all starts at the top. Ownership, management, personnel management, Coaching... AT the top.

The athletes? Secondary.

Now I will grant you that in Basketball, athletes count for almost everything.

But nobody watches or cares about Basketball anyway.

And Baseball isn't a sport, it's a "Pastime".

Golf isn't a 'Sport'. If you can't play defense, it ain't a sport.

Soccer? Yeah, I'm gonna watch a bunch of grown men run around in shorts and pull shit like this...

048_foul.gif

American Football is the only "Sport' worth watching

I saw a poll the other day asking "Do CEOs make too much" and that made me ask why the question was made in the first place.. in light of the following:

Now the popular cliched meme is corporations make too much profit... complainers obviously don't have 401ks!
Or that the CEOs make 400 times what their workers make.. complainers usually forget to ask how many CEOs there are versus how many workers!

So how about the above 10 athletes that GET all their money from either ticket prices or from being shills for advertisers and endorsements.. all based on making money off the "poor" middle class!!

Yes.

Add in most professional sports in this country are heavily subsidized by the State.

Another example of funneling public funds into private hands.

:doubt:

And you think a conservative thinks it is right to subsidize a stadium or whatever??

Nice leap though in your feeble attempt to make a jab

Hmm..I didn't mention "conservative" in my post..but come to think of it..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuQDLvNGM-Q]2002 Romney- I Know How to Get Federal Money- Look at How Much I Got for the Olympics! - YouTube[/ame]

Eyah..feeble alrighty.

:doubt:

Yes, the highest paid pros are grossly overpaid, just like the acting community.

:clap2:

In the old days, people would pack a lunch and bring blankets to watch their Village's Soldiers battle invaders from another Village.

As you can imagine, there was quite a bit of cheering for the Home Team because, if they lost, the Invaders could pillage, plunder and often rape as much as they so wished.

IIRC, there were civilian spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Even before then, there was a time when Single Combat would sometimes decide the fate of a Battle or even an entire War.

Anybody remember the Story of David and Goliath? Or the opening minutes in the Movie "Troy"?

It's ingrained in us to "Cheer For The Home Team"

Today's athletes stir up genetically inherited feelings (genetic memory, look it up) of wanting to do so.

What a twisted view of history. There were spectators at the First Battle of Manassas. After the battle turned and their position was overrun, they learned watching battles was not a good idea
There is no evidence of spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg. Those civilians that were there we're in the wrong place at the wrong time and were terrified. There was only one civilian killed at Gettysburg

Look, bitch.

I said "IIRC"

Know what that means? It means ,"If I Recall Correctly".

if
/if/
Conjunction
Introducing a conditional clause.
Noun
A condition or supposition: "there are so many ifs and buts in the policy".
Synonyms
conjunction. whether - when - in case - supposing
noun. condition

It means there may be some doubt because I'm not really certain because I'm going from memory only.

Get over yourself. Punk

Your "recollection" of how villages would pack picnic lunches as they invaded each other was also laughable
Villiages would not typically go to war with each other. There may be an occasional armed conflict but nothing of the rape and pillage magnitude.

There were sporting events between villages though. Usually a horse race or boxing match

A pro athlete has a much higher skill level than a CEO.

? so anyone can be a CEO? yup you dont know a dang thing about the bussiness world

And you know nothing about what it takes to become a pro athlete.

Actually.. yes.. some of us do... got a brother in law who struggles as a minor league hockey player, hoping to break into the NHL in the next 2 seasons.. more than what you know about being a business leader

Actually had some of those pro athletes do a military obstacle course with us active duty slobs in the early 90's... was fun looking back at them while we drove forward

We live in a society that highly values entertainment and is willing to pay them. If they were not worth it, the tickets would not sell.

What a twisted view of history. There were spectators at the First Battle of Manassas. After the battle turned and their position was overrun, they learned watching battles was not a good idea
There is no evidence of spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg. Those civilians that were there we're in the wrong place at the wrong time and were terrified. There was only one civilian killed at Gettysburg

Look, bitch.

I said "IIRC"

if
/if/
Conjunction
Introducing a conditional clause.
Noun
A condition or supposition: "there are so many ifs and buts in the policy".
Synonyms
conjunction. whether - when - in case - supposing
noun. condition

It means there may be some doubt because I'm not really certain because I'm going from memory only.

Get over yourself. Punk

Your "recollection" of how villages would pack picnic lunches as they invaded each other was also laughable
Villiages would not typically go to war with each other. There may be an occasional armed conflict but nothing of the rape and pillage magnitude.

There were sporting events between villages though. Usually a horse race or boxing match

Know what's laughable? Your knowledge of history.

Look up why Bodicea, Queen of the Iceni lost so many of her Warriors at the Battle of Watling Street after the expected Roman advance and Javelin throw.

You are a self-important bore.

Not to mention, stupid.

You also might want to look up Boiorix of the Cimbri and Ariovistus of the Suebi.

Nah, don't.

I like you better stupid. You do it so well.

Although, they do make a lot of money, it is also "new money" for most of them and therefore it becomes their own worst enemy, and sometimes makes them think they can get away with literal murder thus figurative suicide.

But no, they are not being overpaid in a free-market economy. It is called capitalism at it's finest even though it is not perfect. Nothing is.

not to mention the immediate fame. all of a sudden they are celebrities. people telling them how great they are, wanting to be around them. Special treatment. its easy to let it go to your head. much like big lotto winners. most of them end up in trouble too

Although, they do make a lot of money, it is also "new money" for most of them and therefore it becomes their own worst enemy, and sometimes makes them think they can get away with literal murder thus figurative suicide.

But no, they are not being overpaid in a free-market economy. It is called capitalism at it's finest even though it is not perfect. Nothing is.

not to mention the immediate fame. all of a sudden they are celebrities. people telling them how great they are, wanting to be around them. Special treatment. its easy to let it go to your head. much like big lotto winners. most of them end up in trouble too

Alot of these guys are groomed to be stars when they are young though, Lebron and Kobe for example had college and NBA scouts looking at them in high school and Middle school.

Yes, pro athletes are way overpaid. There is virtually no reason for them to make those asinine amounts imho. Of course, what they make is none of my business. It is the business of those that consume that product and incumbent upon them to stop consuming it if it is not worth the price. I think athletes make too much and as a result, I don’t bother watching the games or getting tickets. That is not because I am disgruntled at the wages but that I don’t see the value in the product.
A pro athlete has a much higher skill level than a CEO.

really?.....some guy sitting on the bench,plays maybe 50 games a year,has a .240 batt avg and is still making 7-8 million a year.....yea thats a skill level.....

I guarantee you that Derek Jeter could do a better job at running a corporation than the CEO of that corporation could do playing shortstop for the Yankees.
And you are utterly clueless. A successful CEO of a major corporation (because that is where we start to get comparable rates) takes just as much skill as the athlete and if they were swapped both would fail miserably. It is pretty damn arrogant to think that a CEO with that type of pay can simply be replaced with another that has no experience and skills. That is asinine.

Yes, pro athletes are way overpaid. There is virtually no reason for them to make those asinine amounts imho. Of course, what they make is none of my business. It is the business of those that consume that product and incumbent upon them to stop consuming it if it is not worth the price. I think athletes make too much and as a result, I don’t bother watching the games or getting tickets. That is not because I am disgruntled at the wages but that I don’t see the value in the product.
really?.....some guy sitting on the bench,plays maybe 50 games a year,has a .240 batt avg and is still making 7-8 million a year.....yea thats a skill level.....

I guarantee you that Derek Jeter could do a better job at running a corporation than the CEO of that corporation could do playing shortstop for the Yankees.
And you are utterly clueless. A successful CEO of a major corporation (because that is where we start to get comparable rates) takes just as much skill as the athlete and if they were swapped both would fail miserably. It is pretty damn arrogant to think that a CEO with that type of pay can simply be replaced with another that has no experience and skills. That is asinine.

Stupid people make stupid comments.

If a $10 Million CEO could be found at the Unemployment Office, he wouldn't be paid Ten Million Dollars.

Now... Do they always earn their money?

No.

Do Boards often pillage a Company by offering, and paying, obscene salaries to their Executives?

Hell yeah.

Happens all the time. Every day.

But when the Market finds out about it (they always do), the stock usually goes down.

If the pillagers are incompetent, the product suffers and Stock goes down and -- Guess what?

That Company don't last too long.

Do you people know how many bankruptcies are filed every year? And I mean BIG Companies?

A lot.

A good CEO and a good Board of Directors is indispensable to a Big Company.

Just ask Lehman Bros

The athletes in team sports (football, baseball etc) are paid as much as the owners are willing to pay them.

Look, bitch.

I said "IIRC"

Get over yourself. Punk

Know what's laughable? Your knowledge of history.

Look up why Bodicea, Queen of the Iceni lost so many of her Warriors at the Battle of Watling Street after the expected Roman advance and Javelin throw.

You are a self-important bore.

Not to mention, stupid.

You also might want to look up Boiorix of the Cimbri and Ariovistus of the Suebi.

Nah, don't.

I like you better stupid. You do it so well.

I actually looked it up and as I expected, it did nothing to prove your point

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Our scientist, teachers and construction workers are far more important to our society. We're kind of messed up.

When people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to watch scientists, teachers and construction workers do their jobs, they will be worth the pay

These guys are paid very little in comparison to the risks they take. It is by far the most dangerous sport in the world. The Isle of man TT has been raced for 106 years and there have been at least 255 fatalities over the years. They race this way because they love it. They know the risks and don't care, they are adrenaline junkies.

As far as entertainment value go's this is the top of the heap for viewer excitement (if you like motor sports) yet they are paid nothing compared to NASCAR and F1 etc. Someone made the comment that owners pay the athletes what they are worth.... That is certainly true but I think it sad that a athlete makes hundreds or thousands of times more than a surgeon does.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-ynRoqDEs]- - - THE - ROAD - WARRIORS - ? ?_IRISH_? ROAD ? RACING - ? +Southern100, Isle of Man TT - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0]THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH?? ?HD? 322kmh-200mph Street Race ? ISLE of MAN TT - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B9ulrY69Sk]world's greatest race ? 320km 200mph on city streets the isle of man tt 1280x720 - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back