🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Do athletes make too much???

I saw a poll the other day asking "Do CEOs make too much" and that made me ask why the question was made in the first place.. in light of the following:

1. Tiger Woods, $75 Million
2. Kobe Bryant, $53 Million
3. LeBron James, $48 Million
4. Roger Federer, $47 Million
5. Phil Mickelson, $46.5 Million
6. David Beckham, $40 Million
7. Cristiano Ronaldo, $38 Million
8. Alex Rodriguez, $35 Million
9. Michael Schumacher, $34 Million
10. Lionel Messi, $32.3 Million
World?s 10 Highest Paid Athletes | Breaking News for Black America

Now the popular cliched meme is corporations make too much profit... complainers obviously don't have 401ks!
Or that the CEOs make 400 times what their workers make.. complainers usually forget to ask how many CEOs there are versus how many workers!

So how about the above 10 athletes that GET all their money from either ticket prices or from being shills for advertisers and endorsements.. all based on making money off the "poor" middle class!!

No, they do not make too much. They make what the market is willing to pay. If/when it reaches the point the patrons can no longer afford the prices to attend these events then attendance will drop and the organizations will have to cut back on athletes' salaries.

What a twisted view of history. There were spectators at the First Battle of Manassas. After the battle turned and their position was overrun, they learned watching battles was not a good idea
There is no evidence of spectators at the Battle of Gettysburg. Those civilians that were there we're in the wrong place at the wrong time and were terrified. There was only one civilian killed at Gettysburg

Look, bitch.

I said "IIRC"

Know what that means? It means ,"If I Recall Correctly".

if
/if/
Conjunction
Introducing a conditional clause.
Noun
A condition or supposition: "there are so many ifs and buts in the policy".
Synonyms
conjunction. whether - when - in case - supposing
noun. condition

It means there may be some doubt because I'm not really certain because I'm going from memory only.

Get over yourself. Punk

Your "recollection" of how villages would pack picnic lunches as they invaded each other was also laughable
Villiages would not typically go to war with each other. There may be an occasional armed conflict but nothing of the rape and pillage magnitude.

There were sporting events between villages though. Usually a horse race or boxing match

"Village" wars.

That takes the cake.

:lmao:

Do you agree that a construction worker or a teacher does more for our society then some guy running down a field with a ball.

Seriously.

There are millions of people who can drive in a nail or teach second grade.

There are very few people who can run down the field carrying a ball that 80,000 people would pay $100+ a ticket to watch

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
A pro athlete has a much higher skill level than a CEO.

really?.....some guy sitting on the bench,plays maybe 50 games a year,has a .240 batt avg and is still making 7-8 million a year.....yea thats a skill level.....

I guarantee you that Derek Jeter could do a better job at running a corporation than the CEO of that corporation could do playing shortstop for the Yankees.

Comparing Apples to Oranges or is it lemons? They have God given talents and if some fan wants to support this compensation program so be it. As for the CEO, they are only compensated the amount board of Directors and owners of the company wish to pay them. The primary differences, one is responsible for increasing the value of a company, employs people, assumes responsibility for direction the company is headed, and the other simply spends money, and plays games. Kind of like Hollywood, those people like to play pretend, dress up, and pretend to be someone else for a living. As long as they pay taxes and social security!

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Our scientist, teachers and construction workers are far more important to our society. We're kind of messed up.

IMHO - This is the crux of the issue.

No one (or not many anyway) begrudge someone else as big a salary as they can command. It's the American Dream that we too can make it big if we work hard enough and smart enough.

But what troubles me is what we value in our society. Promiscuous (and that's the nice word for it) Socialites, unwed teen parents, "jersey Shore" types, Honey Boo Boo, ... are glorified and handsomely rewarded. For what?

If they can get it - more power to 'em. But what does it say about our society when we offer it to these people?

I saw a poll the other day asking "Do CEOs make too much" and that made me ask why the question was made in the first place.. in light of the following:

1. Tiger Woods, $75 Million
2. Kobe Bryant, $53 Million
3. LeBron James, $48 Million
4. Roger Federer, $47 Million
5. Phil Mickelson, $46.5 Million
6. David Beckham, $40 Million
7. Cristiano Ronaldo, $38 Million
8. Alex Rodriguez, $35 Million
9. Michael Schumacher, $34 Million
10. Lionel Messi, $32.3 Million
World?s 10 Highest Paid Athletes | Breaking News for Black America

Now the popular cliched meme is corporations make too much profit... complainers obviously don't have 401ks!
Or that the CEOs make 400 times what their workers make.. complainers usually forget to ask how many CEOs there are versus how many workers!

So how about the above 10 athletes that GET all their money from either ticket prices or from being shills for advertisers and endorsements.. all based on making money off the "poor" middle class!!

No, they do not make too much. They make what the market is willing to pay. If/when it reaches the point the patrons can no longer afford the prices to attend these events then attendance will drop and the organizations will have to cut back on athletes' salaries.

patrons can't afford them. only corprations can. most of the seats and boxes, especially the good ones are owned by companies

Do you agree that a construction worker or a teacher does more for our society then some guy running down a field with a ball.

Seriously.

There are very few people who can run down the field carrying a ball that 80,000 people would pay $100+ a ticket to watch

a very sad comentary on our society when we put a higher value on entertainment then necessities. I can impact the minds of two dozen children. who cares, I can catch a ball

Seriously.

a very sad comentary on our society when we put a higher value on entertainment then necessities. I can impact the minds of two dozen children. who cares, I can catch a ball

Salaries don't really make sense though, when I joined the Military we didn't make jack shit, the guy that hooked in my cable made more than me.

Hell at least these athletes have a skill, the Jersey Shore kids made millions and did what exactly? what about the Kardashians? thats real high way robbery right there.

Seriously.

Entertainment provides a valuable service to our communities. It helps make life more liveable. We work all week to support our families, when we come home, we need a distraction. TV, movies, sports, parks, beaches....whatever you enjoy

People are willing to pay for that enjoyment

Hell at least these athletes have a skill, the Jersey Shore kids made millions and did what exactly? what about the Kardashians? thats real high way robbery right there.

I think they did pretty much everyone in the bars they frequented.

Entertainment provides a valuable service to our communities. It helps make life more liveable. We work all week to support our families, when we come home, we need a distraction. TV, movies, sports, parks, beaches....whatever you enjoy

sure, if you can afford $100 a ticket. Glad to see you are concerned with the entertainment value of the 1%. How many of your beloved welfare patrons have season tickets to make their lives better?

sure, if you can afford $100 a ticket. Glad to see you are concerned with the entertainment value of the 1%. How many of your beloved welfare patrons have season tickets to make their lives better?

You pay what you can afford

I can't afford $100 for an NFL ticket, but I can watch it for free on TV. Still entertainment and still valuable

I can't afford $100 for an NFL ticket, but I can watch it for free on TV. Still entertainment and still valuable

you work. what about the millions on welfare? don't tell me we give them free cable too

you work. what about the millions on welfare? don't tell me we give them free cable too

And an Obamaphone too!

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Our scientist, teachers and construction workers are far more important to our society. We're kind of messed up.

IMHO - This is the crux of the issue.

No one (or not many anyway) begrudge someone else as big a salary as they can command. It's the American Dream that we too can make it big if we work hard enough and smart enough.

But what troubles me is what we value in our society. Promiscuous (and that's the nice word for it) Socialites, unwed teen parents, "jersey Shore" types, Honey Boo Boo, ... are glorified and handsomely rewarded. For what?

If they can get it - more power to 'em. But what does it say about our society when we offer it to these people?

Assigning ‘value’ to a person in relation to society based on salary though is a gross misunderstanding of what is actually occurring. You would be completely incorrect if you think that people value doctors or teacher less than they do athletes. The pay is not based on the value that person brings to society. It is based on reach. The fact is that a doctor or teacher touches only hundreds of people, perhaps a few thousand, throughout their entire careers. They make money based on that and how many people can do their jobs. In the case of doctors and teacher, it means that doctors are going to make more because fewer can do their job.

Athletes, otoh, touch millions a year and the best are known to hundreds of millions of people all around the globe. They have a HUGE reach and there are very few people that can do what they do to the level of perfection that they do it in. Essentially, that pay has nothing to do with what we value, it has a lot to do with the reach and rarity of their particular talent that they have.

Forum List

Back