Do republicans realize how alone they are on the issue of global warming?

I am a scientist, geologist to be exact

few oil company and coal mining company employed geologists ramp up some counter talking points and some folks fall over themselves to carry their flag.

Why?

Science certainly doesn't support their rhetoric. Why are some so eager to latch onto them?

Do we want to base decisions on the best information available or not?

Imagine you are on a beach with 98 oceanographers and two astrophysicists. Suddenly the 98 oceanographers start running from the beach saying a tsunami is coming. The two astrophysicists hang back and say, "I'm not so sure. I'd like to see more evidence."

You can hang out on the beach if you want. Just don't blame the rest of us for heading for the hills.

MAN - it's gets tiresome being so right all the time.

Except for the fact that I'm an ENVIRONMENTAL geologist and have taken Chevron and Exxon to task many times for pollution issues. I have cost them millions in damages to repay damage to public and private lands.

You ignore that the oil companies are heavily invested in the "green" programs you wax so erloquently about. They stand to make hundreds of billions of dollars for doing nothing.

And you will lay down and spread your legs for them.

Because you're ignorant.

Why would you assume that scientists that work through government grants are more honest than scientists working for private enterprise?

ad verecundiam logical fallacy

If I want to know about rocks, I'll ask a geologist
If I want to know about climate, I'll ask a climatologist

Why? You should ask that well known psychic Sylvia Brown. She has a much better predicion rate than your precious climatologists do. Their record is laughably poor. She is at least right 70% of the time. They are batting 0.000 so far.

Except for the fact that I'm an ENVIRONMENTAL geologist

Please see:
ad verecundiam logical fallacy

If I want to know about rocks, I'll ask a geologist
If I want to know about climate, I'll ask a climatologist

See what? That you're a hypocritical fool? That much is obvious. What is also obvious is you have the scientific literacy of a gnat.

Big Oil and billionnaire polluters pay for for the RW brainwashing, and the character assassination of AlGore...so no.

Ah, here we go again with the evil oil and evil corporations bullshit. the brainwashing is being done by the left wing media and left wing academia that are determined to classify human beings as a pollutant and demand that humans leave the earth.

BTW, since you hate oil, what fuel do you suggest replacing it with? what fuel is currently available in the quantities needed to power all of the cars, trucks, buses, trains, and planes that make the world economy work?

Tell us, what magic fuel will replace evil oil?

You believe a total pile of RW crappe from the Pub Propaganda Machine, paid for by Murdoch, Moonies, Koch's and a few other geek a-hole millionnaires, and of course the idiot hater/dupes. Google who pays for all those orgs, bloggers, etc fighting science. FACTS, dingbat, just not reported on the PPM. Or for that matter, the cowardly corporate media, even PBS, at least very often.

Duh, solar, wind, clean coal, NATURAL GAS, hydro etc etc. Jeeebus you people are dumb...

Both rain and snow are products of condensation. It was a very mild winter and so far a very mild spring here in SE Texas this year.

Meanwhile the eastern 2/3rds of the US had lower than normal temps starting around Thanksgiving until 3 weeks ago when we had 2" of snow here in central NC on March 16th.
It is snowing in Denver today for the third consecutive day.
The famous Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC were four weeks late. The Azalea Blooms at Augusta National were not at peak last week.
In upstate NY where my friend lives, the leaves have not emerged on the broad leaf trees. Farmers have not yet plowed their fields for planting in some parts of the upper midwest.
This weekend, temps here in the NC Piedmont are expected to be at least 10* below normal for three days
What are we talking about here? Simple. The Earth's climate is cyclical and subject to anomalies. Completely out of the influence of humans.
You people are running around as though spontaneous combustion is about to occur.
Meanwhile you do NOTHING but offer lip service.
You should have stopped at "blind".

So are you trying to tell me that the rain and snow are not products of condensation? Or how pointing out that fact makes it as though I'm expecting spontaneous combustion to errupt? FYI it was a mild winter in SE Texas meaning it was warmer than normal. The mild spring means that it was cooler than normal cause last year by now we were baking.

You people....
Yoooooou people....

:razz::eusa_drool::razz:

This is where you tree huggers go when the evidence and facts do not suit your agenda. You attempt to argue both sides of the issue.
I am not 'trying' to tell you anything.
I merely pointed out that even though you people insist the Earth is getting warmer due to human activity, that among other climate issues elsewhere in the country, we froze our asses off this winter and had snow on the ground as little as 30 days ago.
Who cares about Southeast Texas. The entire northeast has seen a delayed start to the growing season...The Snow pack in the rocky mountain as well as the upper midwest may not melt until mid or late May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen, dumbazz dupes, it's not trivia like that, it's the whole country and the world. 2012 was the hottest EVER in the US and the 10th highest in the world (all ten in the last 15 years). As for WNY, this was the 4th year in a row we had less snow than the east coast. Very strange. Higher temps allow the atmosphere to hold MORE moisture. GW predicts more weird and extreme weather. Everything you know is Pubcrappe, stupidest, greediest party in the modern world.

Last edited:
Listen, dumbazz dupes, it's not trivia like that, it's the whole country and the world. 2012 was the hottest EVER in the US and the 10th highest in the world (all ten in the last 15 years). As for WNY, this was the 4th year in a row we had less snow than the east coast. Very strange. Higher temps allow the atmosphere to hold MORE moisture. GW predicts more weird and extreme weather. Everything you know is Pubcrappe, stupidest, greediest party in the modern world.

No, it wasn't. Even Hansen (who originated that bullshit meme) has backed off and proclaimed 2012 the 9th warmest. However, the only way he could do that was by falsifying the historical temperature record of 50 years ago.

And you scientific cripples suck it up hook, line, and sinker because you don't know shit from shinola.

The ICPP models indicate that warming should have occurred over the last 20 years. obeservation however, proved them wrong. You might want to mock them about it.

No they didn't...You cant find it? Did you look under the couch cushion?

Poor closedmindedcaption. Your religion is collapsing all around you and the best you can do is say "hunh uhhhhhhh".

"Computer models and basic principles predict atmospheric temperatures should rise slightly faster than, not lag, increases in surface temperatures. Also, the models predict the fastest warming should occur at the Tropics at an altitude between eight and 12 kilometers. However, temperature readings taken from weather balloons and satellites have, according to most analysts, shown little if any warming there compared to the surface.

By measuring changes in winds, rather than relying upon problematic temperature measurements, Robert J. Allen and Steven C. Sherwood of the Department of Geology and Geophysics at Yale estimated the atmospheric temperatures near 10 km in the Tropics rose about 0.65 degrees Celsius per decade since 1970—probably the fastest warming rate anywhere in Earth's atmosphere. The temperature increase is in line with predictions of global warming models.

“I think this puts to rest any lingering doubts that the atmosphere really has been warming up more or less as we expect, due mainly to the greenhouse effect of increasing gases like carbon dioxide,” Sherwood said."

Apparent Problem With Global Warming Climate Models Resolved

I'm glad you linked to a reputable science website. Thanks! That story from 2008 had a link right next to it that states:

New Research Brings Satellite Measurements and Global Climate Models Closer

May 7, 2012 — One popular climate record that shows a slower atmospheric warming trend than other studies contains a data calibration problem, and when the problem is corrected the results fall in line with other records and climate models, according to a new University of Washington study

New research brings satellite measurements and global climate models closer

Also from that same website. Since you linked the site, I'm sure you have NO problem with their current findings, right?

I bet you're going to reply with some super duper reason why one link from you is correct and the other, isn't.

No they didn't...You cant find it? Did you look under the couch cushion?

Poor closedmindedcaption. Your religion is collapsing all around you and the best you can do is say "hunh uhhhhhhh".

"Computer models and basic principles predict atmospheric temperatures should rise slightly faster than, not lag, increases in surface temperatures. Also, the models predict the fastest warming should occur at the Tropics at an altitude between eight and 12 kilometers. However, temperature readings taken from weather balloons and satellites have, according to most analysts, shown little if any warming there compared to the surface.

By measuring changes in winds, rather than relying upon problematic temperature measurements, Robert J. Allen and Steven C. Sherwood of the Department of Geology and Geophysics at Yale estimated the atmospheric temperatures near 10 km in the Tropics rose about 0.65 degrees Celsius per decade since 1970—probably the fastest warming rate anywhere in Earth's atmosphere. The temperature increase is in line with predictions of global warming models.

“I think this puts to rest any lingering doubts that the atmosphere really has been warming up more or less as we expect, due mainly to the greenhouse effect of increasing gases like carbon dioxide,” Sherwood said."

I'm glad you linked to a reputable science website. Thanks! That story from 2008 had a link right next to it that states:

May 7, 2012 — One popular climate record that shows a slower atmospheric warming trend than other studies contains a data calibration problem, and when the problem is corrected the results fall in line with other records and climate models, according to a new University of Washington study

Also from that same website. Since you linked the site, I'm sure you have NO problem with their current findings, right?

I bet you're going to reply with some super duper reason why one link from you is correct and the other, isn't.

Yes, and of course you ignored the most important part of the story. Why am I not surprised.:lmao::lmao::lmao: You deniers are ALL alike...

Yes, and of course you ignored the most important part of the story. Why am I not surprised.:lmao::lmao::lmao: You deniers are ALL alike...

Wait, don't tell me that NOW you don't believe the website that YOU posted :confused:

Forum List

Back