Do voters understand that GOP economics is a catastrophe in the making?

They work as a tax. Every country has taxes. They don’t work to bring back jobs or protect industries. They always hurt consumers.
If tariffs were bad then every other country in the world would not have them also
You are an idiot. Every economist knows they are bad. Trump tariffs lead to decline in manufacturing, layoffs in steel, huge farmer bailout... how is that good?
Ok, now you are losing so you get angry any call me names
And you ignore the question. Go figure. Losing is clearly you.
I asked you a simple question and you ran away

but I’ll repeat if in case you forgot

how is trump tariffs on imported chinese steel to blame for steel layoffs in the US?

Why? Because steel plants refused to update their old equipment. That costs money. It's the same kind of thinking that lead Boeing to put profits over safety.

Updating the old technology would have caused a hit on their returns so they refused to do it. Now they are paying for that.

He has hurt manufacturing. Steel has lots of layoffs. He’s done more damage than good. How about that huge farmer bailout?
The chinese targeted farmers as a vulnerability and trump responded

The Chinese did nothing. Trump did it.
You are mistsken

they tried to hurt American farmers in hopes that would put pressure on trump to ease up on china

They simply retaliated in kind. That's how these things work.
Tariffs never work. Repubs are really stupid to think they will when they have a long history of failure.

Tariffs never work.

Is that why almost every country in the world has higher tariffs than we do?

Let’s put aside the merits of leftwing American politics. We’ll just agree to disagree on that for now. Let’s just discuss the viability of GOP economics which is the fantasy of trickledown/supply side economics. Sure that shit sounds good until - you know - one thinks about it from a logical standpoint. Giving corporations more capital to sell products doesn’t somehow translate into more demand from the consumers. That isn’t how economics work. Our economy is a CONSUMER driven economy. It depends on people spending money. That is how it has ALWAYS worked. Corporations in this day age are wealthier than ever before. That means that when they get big tax breaks, they don’t invest the money they save. Why? Because it’s easier to just keep it. Why invest in labor if they are already wealthier than ever before?

Doesn’t it bother republicans that the GOP does NOTHING for the middle class? A strong middle class is how you keep this economy viable because they are the biggest CONSUMERS. A time will come when this economy will fail because of GOP economics. Rich people can’t stay rich if the wages of the middle class and poor remain way behind on inflation.

How can one possibly justify GOP policy?

I'm not sure whether the Moscow Mitch's of the world actually believe a tax cut on the top .1 or 1% actually spurs growth when the economy has historically low interest rates and anemic growth. But imo the real reason for the Trump tax cuts, and there will be more once Bernie flips the House back to gop control, is that the gop believes the top 5%, and esp the top .1 and 1% pay more than their "fair" share in taxes.

If tariffs were bad then every other country in the world would not have them also
You are an idiot. Every economist knows they are bad. Trump tariffs lead to decline in manufacturing, layoffs in steel, huge farmer bailout... how is that good?

how is trump tariffs on imported chinese steel to blame for steel layoffs in the US?
The question was answered. Love how you wait 3 seconds and claim somebody ran away.
All you did was hurl the first taking point you remembered without specifically tying the steel layoffs to tariffs

You are mistsken

they tried to hurt American farmers in hopes that would put pressure on trump to ease up on china

Tariffs never work. Repubs are really stupid to think they will when they have a long history of failure.

Tariffs never work.

It’s why they aren’t the biggest economy in the world. You want us to follow lesser economies?

Why? Because steel plants refused to update their old equipment. That costs money. It's the same kind of thinking that lead Boeing to put profits over safety.

Updating the old technology would have caused a hit on their returns so they refused to do it. Now they are paying for that.
Meaning you think the layoffs were baked into the cake before trump came along

The question was answered. Love how you wait 3 seconds and claim somebody ran away.
All you did was hurl the first taking point you remembered without specifically tying the steel layoffs to tariffs
Read it more slowly this time:

Tariffs hurt manufacturing. We are less competitive when our manufacturing is forced to use more expensive steel. Sales go down. Demand for steel goes down. Tariffs have done this many times. Learn from history.

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

They also address the businesses that move offshore. We refuse to.

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

It’s why they aren’t the biggest economy in the world. You want us to follow lesser economies?

You want us to follow lesser economies?

I want them to cut tariffs on our goods.

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

I dont want to import everything we consume from china

if that means tariffs so be it

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

Tariffs address offshoring? We refuse to address offshoring?

Meaning you think the layoffs were baked into the cake before trump came along

They were but Trump is a perfect example of the problem overall. It's not just Trump though.

Trump wants to blame "China" for our greed. It's not China's fault. Besides, is this not how free market capitalism is supposed to work? If I own a business and I want to move it to China, that's the way it is supposed to work is it not?

Let’s put aside the merits of leftwing American politics. We’ll just agree to disagree on that for now. Let’s just discuss the viability of GOP economics which is the fantasy of trickledown/supply side economics. Sure that shit sounds good until - you know - one thinks about it from a logical standpoint. Giving corporations more capital to sell products doesn’t somehow translate into more demand from the consumers. That isn’t how economics work. Our economy is a CONSUMER driven economy. It depends on people spending money. That is how it has ALWAYS worked. Corporations in this day age are wealthier than ever before. That means that when they get big tax breaks, they don’t invest the money they save. Why? Because it’s easier to just keep it. Why invest in labor if they are already wealthier than ever before?

Doesn’t it bother republicans that the GOP does NOTHING for the middle class? A strong middle class is how you keep this economy viable because they are the biggest CONSUMERS. A time will come when this economy will fail because of GOP economics. Rich people can’t stay rich if the wages of the middle class and poor remain way behind on inflation.

How can one possibly justify GOP policy?
Trump economics as opposed to standardized republican economics is based on bringing jobs back to America

that beats handouts from the wipe-every-nose democats any day

No they don't. He has done nothing to do that other than say it. As far as actual actions go he has done nothing.

He likes to talk.
He’s done more to bring back jobs from china and mexico than any democrat in living memory
He has hurt manufacturing. Steel has lots of layoffs. He’s done more damage than good. How about that huge farmer bailout?
Yes. He responded by borrowing money from the Chinese to hand to farmers.

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

It can IF properly done with other measures also. We have not done that.

Tariffs hurt manufacturing. We are less competitive when our manufacturing is forced to use more expensive steel. Sales go down. Demand for steel goes down. Tariffs have done this many times. Learn from history.
You couldnt be more wrong

we are not exporting steel products to china

they are exporting raw steel and products made from steel to the US

tariffs hurt chinese exports and help American manufacturing

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

I dont want to import everything we consume from china

if that means tariffs so be it

Why is it better to import that stuff from India?

You are mistsken

Tariffs never work.

You want us to follow lesser economies?

I want them to cut tariffs on our goods.
As do I. But shooting a hole in our boat doesn’t help that.

Tariffs never work.

It can IF properly done with other measures also. We have not done that.
Offshoring is an issue that we need stronger measures against

if GM closes an auto plant in America and builds the car in china we need to slap a big tariff on that car

Then why are American steel producers still laying people off?

You need to learn economics. Steel tariffs mean our manufacturing is forced to use more expensive steel. That makes our manufacturing less competitive and we see that with the decline in manufacturing. A decline in manufacturing means the demand for steel goes down which leads to steel layoffs. Again try to read slowly.

Forum List

Back