Do you actually prefer political campaigning that....

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
....is more about berating one's opponent than it is about providing substantive details and increasing specificity about the nature and extent of the policies one wants to implement and how one wants to do so?

Why don't voters demand great levels of detail so that when they enter the voting booth, they know very well what to expect in terms of actual policy making that the candidates will pursue?

I don't care:
  • Whether Elizabeth Warren is part Native American.
  • Whether Donald Trump is a billionaire, multibillionaire, or even millionaire. He could be a pauper for all I care.
  • I don't really care what specific things one did in the past as I think what you want to do going forward matters more. One exception: things one did, individually or as part of a recurring pattern, that speaks to one's integrity. I can forgive honest mistakes that one owns. I have little to no tolerance for low to medium levels of integrity.
  • I do care a lot about what one wants to do going forward. If one made mistakes and owns them, I can feel good giving one the benefit of the doubt as goes having learned from their mistakes. Seeing as everyone makes mistakes, I think that's only fair. But one only gets that benefit of the doubt by earning it, and the way to earn it is to wholeheartedly own one's mistakes.

I DO care that Elizabeth Warren lied about her "so-called" history to steal
I DO care that Trump is a billionaire
I DO care what someone did in their past - it is reflective of the character (or rather) lack of character

I DO NOT care about what one "wants" to do going forward. 99% of the time, they promise the moon and deliver nothing.

I DO care about what they do while in office (ala Bill Clinton) the biggest POS ever to hold the damn office and his Wife would be the second biggest POS to inhabit the office.

Last edited:
Are great levels of detail really needed, or would it be better to present a vision with an understanding that the details will have to be worked out through the government process.

The President is not a king. To me, great levels of detail translates into campaign promises that can't possibly be kept. That being said, no one wins the office by not making campaign promises in which they should know the presidency alone does not give them the power to keep.

Are great levels of detail really needed, or would it be better to present a vision with an understanding that the details will have to be worked out through the government process.

The President is not a king. To me, great levels of detail translates into campaign promises that can't possibly be kept. That being said, no one wins the office by not making campaign promises in which they should know the presidency alone does not give them the power to keep.

The President is not a King

Tell that to the asshole currently in that office......

great levels of detail translates into campaign promises that can't possibly be kept.

The vision is the promise and why bother striving to achieve it. The detail are how one brings the promise to fruition and how one demonstrates savvy about the matter itself. One needs to at least attempt to achieve the vision. If the means and modes have to be negotiated and modified, fine, so long as the core goal, the vision, and the reasons for seeking it/them, remains intact.

Obviously, a President who lacks an amenable Congress isn't going to achieve many if any of his/her promises.

I mostly want to know where the candidate's passion lays and how they see their role in attaining goals that address that passion. Once I'm on board the insults and such merely keep me entertained.

Forum List

Back