Do you make stuff and sell it online?

Um. Ok? lol

Been awhile since I have sold old books. And I sold on Amazon only a few times, long ago. Been selling on ebay since 1998 but now I just sell gold, silver and antiques.

I figured while I was there I'd search for "Everyone Poops". It's a cute book for the grandkid. :thup:

Luddly hates me. That's ok. I deserve it. :(

I've got at least a hundred books that have been sitting in boxes since dear ol' mum passed away in ought-88. Biographies, autobiographies, some Time and Life series collections and other titles.

So how do you decide at what price to list the books with Amazon?

Simple web searches by author and, separately, by title. Gives a pretty good picture of what's available, what's scarce and the going prices. The name "Abe Books" comes back to mind from several years ago but I may have that spelled incorrectly. Still, it might be a starting point.

Thanks. I didn't really count on Luddly answering me any way.

WTF is your problem? I didn't know there was a time limit on doing your bidding.

I entered into this conversation expecting to actually talk to other adults and would have happily shared any and all info and tricks I have gained from my own experience.

What I get from you is a question followed by insults.

Piss off.

For those who are actually interested in learning, check out the forums at Amazon, ebay. I've never had good luck with either Alibris or Abes and haven't tried any others although Alibris has excellent customer service. Keep the 800 numbers for both ebay and Amazon - they're handy to have.

Mr. H., I also used to sell on Yahoo when they had auctions. Did pretty good but nothing to brag about. I tried just about every online auction site that existed and stuck with ebay because no matter how cheap other sites were....the BUYERS are at ebay. Plain and simple, that is where they go to buy. Amazon too, but ebay did best for me.

I think my greatest sell was the 1950's tin haunted house toy I got at a yard sale for a buck. I figured I could get maybe 30 bucks out of it. I was stunned to see it sold for over 700 bucks. :eek:

That's what I've found too - the buyers are at Amazon and Ebay so that's where I sell. If you're interested, you can download some good apps. One that you can use to do on-the-spot pricing research so you know what to buy and what to pass up. I tried it but there's a high monthly fee to use it and I didn't find it to be enough help to be worth it.

You really have to do your research though. I'm continually surprised to find what sells for big bucks and what I can't give away. I also do things to make it more attractive to a buyer. And, a rule you should always remember is to photograph like there's no description and describe like there's no photo.

Simple web searches by author and, separately, by title. Gives a pretty good picture of what's available, what's scarce and the going prices. The name "Abe Books" comes back to mind from several years ago but I may have that spelled incorrectly. Still, it might be a starting point.

WTF is your problem? I didn't know there was a time limit on doing your bidding.

I entered into this conversation expecting to actually talk to other adults and would have happily shared any and all info and tricks I have gained from my own experience.

Piss off.

For those who are actually interested in learning, check out the forums at Amazon, ebay. I've never had good luck with either Alibris or Abes and haven't tried any others although Alibris has excellent customer service. Keep the 800 numbers for both ebay and Amazon - they're handy to have.

Sheesh, what a grouch! :eusa_boohoo:

Piss off.

Sheesh, what a grouch! :eusa_boohoo:

:eusa_boohoo:

Don't whine.

You wanted to derail/hijack the thread and you succeeded.

But, for the adults here -

IMO, pricing is really important. Do your research and don't ignore other site's prices.

Like, paintings or wooden toys or windchimes or jewelry? If so, what do you make and where do you sell it? On your own website, ebay, amazon, other?

I don't but I've toyed with the idea. I'd make musical instruments. I'd float some on eBay to see how they do and gauge whether it's worth it. Also there's a music store in town that will do consignments.

Like, paintings or wooden toys or windchimes or jewelry? If so, what do you make and where do you sell it? On your own website, ebay, amazon, other?

I don't but I've toyed with the idea. I'd make musical instruments. I'd float some on eBay to see how they do and gauge whether it's worth it. Also there's a music store in town that will do consignments.

Wowsa. [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] What would you make?

A while back, I happened on a dulcimer maker - he did the most incredible work. Just beautiful. I have no idea how many he sold though.

Way back in my hippie days, I make a really terrible guitar and a pretty nice dulcimer. I remember that I glued a small piece of paper inside the box of each with my name and the date on it. I've lost the guitar somewhere along the way but the dulcimer hangs on my wall. I haven't played it or even tuned it for a gazillion years.

Woodworking - what is more beautiful than master woodworking?

Wowsa. [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] What would you make?

A while back, I happened on a dulcimer maker - he did the most incredible work. Just beautiful. I have no idea how many he sold though.

Way back in my hippie days, I make a really terrible guitar and a pretty nice dulcimer. I remember that I glued a small piece of paper inside the box of each with my name and the date on it. I've lost the guitar somewhere along the way but the dulcimer hangs on my wall. I haven't played it or even tuned it for a gazillion years.

Woodworking - what is more beautiful than master woodworking?

True, but I'm no master. I just like working with wood. It suits me.

I'd make simple stuff like bowed psalteries and hammered dulcimers. Had a lot of fun making them for myself. Getting into curves and frets like guitars is more than I prolly want to take on. I did a bouzouki but it didn't finish real well. Maybe a banjo though, that's fairly simple.

Maybe along the way an odd birdhouse or something, as a diversion... :eusa_think:

Last edited:
BTW, about pricing -

Packing up orders to ship this morning, going over what I'll make on each sale, I remembered I meant to mention that you also have to consider the fees charged by the site. That's in addition to shipping cost, cost of materials like mailing envelopes/boxes and your time.

Forum List

Back