Do You Understand The Concept Of Tithing?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Tithing of tithe, is the concept of giving God 10 percent of your increase.

That is, ten percent (10%) of everything you earn, monetarily of course.

So if you make 3,000 a month, your tithe should be 300 a month.

Do you find yourself wondering why would God need your money?

Do you understand what's this all about?

What's your understanding of this?

Tithing is usually prevalent in smaller independent churches that do not have the infrastructure for more unorganized giving.

God is just fine without money, however churches are buildings with maintenance and mortgages, reverends need to eat, and that organ doesnt play itself.

Tithing is usually prevalent in smaller independent churches that do not have the infrastructure for more unorganized giving.

God is just fine without money, however churches are buildings with maintenance and mortgages, reverends need to eat, and that organ doesnt play itself.
So that's your understanding...that "God is just fine w/o money?

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated.

:thup:

Oh it is so far more complicated than that. If one has read the Word you realize how in depth the tithing command is.

Basically the command has been simplified by many Churches into "10 %" please. We're your agents. Pay up if you want to see the Pearly Gates.

It's a pity. But that's religion. Not faith.

Jehovah doesn't want cash so to speak. Or your VISA number.:) Just because He needs it. It's about reverence and honoring Him.

But what's really cool is that there are other commands you have to obey as well. Like Charity. Rejoicing in the Lord and receiving his blessings. Check out 29. Totally cool.

Deuteronomy 14:22–29

Tithes

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always.

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away),

25 then exchanging your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose.

26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish.

Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns,

29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

And yes, I know. I'm a different type of born again.:eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Actually, your post also brings out the suggestion that bigger churches, or "Mega Churches" are not prone to tithing....interesting.

Don't forget tithing of food saved them from famine. The Word is far cooler than any Priest or Minister can give you a synopsis of.

If you throw yourself at it and read it cover to cover for starters to get a true grip on it's greatness, then you can go back and study different passages. And trust me, the" begats" will kill you. :)

But it's truly awesome. I feel sorry for those who only go to their Churches and no matter how sweet the Pastor or the Priest throwing out one small passage to you it won't cut it.

But that's usually all they get. That's one man's opinion on the Word of Jehovah instead of reading the Bible for themselves and letting the Holy Spirit guide them.

IMHO

Exactly. They don't have the financial structures that the large Churches do. And the advantage of items for sale to bring in revenue such as books and recordings.

Will a man rob God? I think Malachi sums it up nicely:

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.

And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts. (Malachi 3:6-12)

Pretty powerful promise. The Lord requires us to pay tithes and offerings. He has told us to test Him and see for ourselves whether He will bless us or not. Because He has offered a great blessing for us.

Tithes and offerings are to provide for the poor and for the needs of the Church. They are to help the ministry and bring temporal salvation to the people.

These tithes are not for God. He already owns everything. He gave us everything we have. Tithes and Offerings are for us. They are our opportunity to show faith and gratitude toward God. By paying 10% of our increase to the Lord, we are showing Him our gratitude for the increase in wealth He has blessed us with. We are acknowledging Him as our partner in our labors. And we are telling Him we trust Him enough to help us get by on 90% of what He has blessed us with. And I can promise you that you will always be able to do more with 90% and an honest Tithe then you will if you withhold that money for yourself.

If your church is not teaching you to tithe, they are doing you a disservice. I recommend following the scriptures and tithing anyway.

Its a racket.

Yes, obtaining blessings and blessing others with tithes and offerings is a racket. We give 10% of what God gave us and get back infinitely more.

Its a racket.

Not if you go by the Bible.

If you read my post on how in Deuteronomy, the Lord wanted to them to party down hardy. Check it out.

This honors him but He also wants you to rejoice and give to all those less fortunate.

It's right in Word luddly.
TinyDancer is absolutely right on that. Well, define "party down harty" there. :)

Actually, your post also brings out the suggestion that bigger churches, or "Mega Churches" are not prone to tithing....interesting.

In the general scale of things, your "mega churches" are acutally rather small compared to more organized congregations, such as catholics, orthodox, and your larger protestant denominations (episcopals, presbyterians, etc).

That being said the ones that are the real swindlers usually get far more than 10% of someone's income.

If tithing is a racket, what does that make taxes?

:eusa_whistle:

Our patriotic duty. At least according to VP Biden. But then I've always thought that it's odd to claim that it's our patriotic duty to pay taxes to a nation that was created because of a rebellion over overtaxation.

If tithing is a racket, what does that make taxes?

:eusa_whistle:
Even in biblical times we know that taxing, via tax collectors was a racket. Think Zachheus, think Matthew, The Disciple and other instances. It's never been reputable, so nothing new there. Yet, Jesus said "Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto the Lord what is His."

Message!

:)

Really? And what specifically did Jesus endorse as far as mortgages, houses of worship and commercial ventures?

Forum List

Back