Docs vs Glocks, the good guys lose one.

If a patient said that to me, I would kick them out of my practice immediately.

However, if they said "I'd prefer not to answer", then I wouldn't ask again.
Why would you ever ask? None of your business.

As a doctor, I can politely ask any question I want to and you can politely answer or politely decline to answer. And if you don't like me asking that question, you have the right to find a new doctor.

Why would you ask the question in the first place? Do you also ask them if they have a car?

Accidental car deaths 2015.....36,161

accidental gun deaths 2015....489

You need to ask them if they drive....

Same reason why I would ask if they smoke, use seat belts, wear a bicycle helmet, or wear safety glasses when chopping wood.

Or wear a condom when having sex with prostitutes.
All those questions would have the same answer, none of your business.

More examples of why one should avoid DRs unless it's an emergency.

Eat well and exercise.

I like it when people like you avoid doctors.

I bet you are the type of person who goes into the office knowing what you need and you dictate this to your doctors. Any deviation from or suggestion contrary to your perceived agenda makes you feel that your rights are being infringed.

Doc: Have you been eating right and exercising?
Me: Yes
Doc: Have you stayed away from drugs and alcohol?
Doc: Have you been taking that medicine I prescribed for you?
Doc: Do you have a gun in the home?
Me: Yes, in fact I have it with me. I was just about to pull it out and point it at your face.

As a doctor, I can politely ask any question I want to and you can politely answer or politely decline to answer. And if you don't like me asking that question, you have the right to find a new doctor.

Why would you ask the question in the first place? Do you also ask them if they have a car?

Same reason why I would ask if they smoke, use seat belts, wear a bicycle helmet, or wear safety glasses when chopping wood.

Eat well and exercise.

I bet you are the type of person who goes into the office knowing what you need and you dictate this to your doctors. Any deviation from or suggestion contrary to your perceived agenda makes you feel that your rights are being infringed.
Lots of assumptions there, I can't remember the last time I went to the DR.

Me: Yes, in fact I have it with me. I was just about to pull it out and point it at your face.

That makes you an irresponsible gun owner.

Eat well and exercise.

It's human nature to assume.

Eat well and exercise.

It's human nature to assume.
You must mis-diagnose a lot.

Yes......exactly.

Of course, the anti gunners know this...so their next step will be to make it against the law to lie to a Doctor on this question....

I'd settle for it being against the law for you to lie your ass off on this forum like you did three hours ago.

That makes you an irresponsible gun owner.

But a very funny irresponsible gun owner who should have his own late night talk show.

My answer would be "It's none of your fucking business what I may or may not have".

If a patient said that to me, I would kick them out of my practice immediately.

However, if they said "I'd prefer not to answer", then I wouldn't ask again.

That's exactly what I'd do. It's an offensive question not pertinent. How'd you like it if I followed up your question with do you like your ass hole tickled?

I would tell you to leave and make a note in your chart that you made inappropriate homosexual advances towards me.

What about the boner you popped when he asked?

Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com

Doctors' sloppy handwriting kills more than 7,000 people annually. It's a shocking statistic, and, according to a July 2006 report from the National Academies of Science's Institute of Medicine (IOM), preventable medication mistakes also injure more than 1.5 million Americans annually. Many such errors result from unclear abbreviations and dosage indications and illegible writing on some of the 3.2 billion prescriptions written in the U.S. every year.

Doctors are the Third Leading Cause of Death

In spite of the rising health care costs that provide the illusion ofimproving health care, the American people do not enjoy good health, compared with their counterparts in the industrialized nations. Among thirteen countries including Japan, Sweden, France and Canada, the U.S. was ranked 12th, based on the measurement of 16 health indicators such as life expectancy, low-birth-weight averages and infant mortality. In another comparison reported by the World Health Organization that used a different set of health indicators, the U.S. also fared poorly with a ranking of 15 among 25 industrialized nations.

Although many people attribute poor health to the bad habits of theAmerican public, Starfield (2000) points out that the Americans do not lead an unhealthy lifestyle compared to their counterparts. For example, only 28 percent of the male population in the U.S. smoked, thus making it the third best nation in the category of smoking among the 13 industrialized nations. The U.S. population also achieved a high ranking (5th best) for alcohol consumption. In the category of men aged 50 to 70 years, the U.S. had the third lowest mean cholesterol concentrations among 13 industrialized nations. Therefore, the perception that the American public’s poor health is a result of their negative health habits is false.

Even more significantly, the medical system has played a large role inundermining the health of Americans. According to several research studies in the last decade, a total of 225,000 Americans per year have died as a result of their medical treatments:

How Many Die From Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals?

In 1999, the Institute of Medicine published the famous “To Err Is Human” report, which dropped a bombshell on the medical community by reporting that up to 98,000 people a year die because of mistakes in hospitals. The number was initially disputed, but is now widely accepted by doctors and hospital officials — and quoted ubiquitously in the media.

In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for Health and Human Services said that bad hospital care contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year.

Now comes a study in the current issue of the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher — between 210,000 and 440,000 patients each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death, the study says.

That would make medical errors the third-leading cause of death in America, behind heart disease, which is the first, and cancer, which is second.

Superbugs 'spread by hospital wet wipes' - BBC News

Researchers at Cardiff University have claimed the use of wet wipes can spread hospital superbugs.

Scientists from the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science tested seven detergent wipes used in hospitals across the UK on three common infections.

They showed "huge variability" in their ability to kill the disease-causing bacteria.

In every case, the wipes spread the superbugs from one surface to another.

The study, published in the American Journal of Infection Control, carried out a 10-second wiping procedure to test the wipes' effectiveness on MRSA, Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) and Acinetobacter, which can all cause life-threatening illnesses.

They were very inconsistent in their ability to remove spores of the bacteria from hospital surfaces, and they all spread significant amounts of bacteria over three consecutive surfaces.

Doctors win in Florida 'docs vs. glocks' legal tussle

Not that it's a huge loss, they can ask all they want to, you don't have to answer it.

Me I'll just lie to him like always:

Me: No

What a childish and stupid thing to do. How does it help your health to lie to your doctor?

Do you also lie to your accountant and your lawyer?

What does him asking about wether you own a gun have to do with your health?
Given the number of gun 'accidents' in the home, it has a great deal to do with your health.

Statistics on Guns in the Home & Safe Storage | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Having a gun in the home is associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide, regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home.1 Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.2 Rather than conferring protection, guns in the home are associated with an increased risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.3

Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that living in a home where there are guns increased risk of homicide by 40 to 170% and the risk of suicide by 90 to 460%.4

The risk of dying from an unintentional gunshot injury is 3.7 times higher for adults living in homes with guns, with handguns in the home posing a particular threat.5

On a state-wide level, states with higher rates of household firearm ownership have been shown to have significantly higher homicide victimization rates.6

Not that it's a huge loss, they can ask all they want to, you don't have to answer it.

What a childish and stupid thing to do. How does it help your health to lie to your doctor?

Given the number of gun 'accidents' in the home, it has a great deal to do with your health.

Statistics on Guns in the Home & Safe Storage | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Having a gun in the home is associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide, regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home.1 Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.2 Rather than conferring protection, guns in the home are associated with an increased risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.3

Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that living in a home where there are guns increased risk of homicide by 40 to 170% and the risk of suicide by 90 to 460%.4

The risk of dying from an unintentional gunshot injury is 3.7 times higher for adults living in homes with guns, with handguns in the home posing a particular threat.5

On a state-wide level, states with higher rates of household firearm ownership have been shown to have significantly higher homicide victimization rates.6

Thanks for citing a rabid, anti-gun group for statistics that lie.....

The actual problem in those homes is not the gun....since the actual problem is alcoholism, drug use, criminal background and a history of violence......not the gun....take those out of the equation, but leave the gun...and you don't have the problem...

Here....another anti-gunner who lied about his research to make up fake stats....

Public Health and Gun Control: A Review

Since at least the mid-1980s, Dr. Kellermann (and associates), whose work had been heavily-funded by the CDC, published a series of studies purporting to show that persons who keep guns in the home are more likely to be victims of homicide than those who don¹t.

In a 1986 NEJM paper, Dr. Kellermann and associates, for example, claimed their "scientific research" proved that defending oneself or one¹s family with a firearm in the home is dangerous and counter productive, claiming "a gun owner is 43 times more likely to kill a family member than an intruder."8

In a critical review and now classic article published in the March 1994 issue of the Journal of the Medical Association of Georgia (JMAG), Dr. Edgar Suter, Chairman of Doctors for Integrity in Policy Research (DIPR), found evidence of "methodologic and conceptual errors," such as prejudicially truncated data and the listing of "the correct methodology which was described but never used by the authors."5

Moreover, the gun control researchers failed to consider and underestimated the protective benefits of guns.

Dr. Suter writes: "The true measure of the protective benefits of guns are the lives and medical costs saved, the injuries prevented, and the property protected ‹ not the burglar or rapist body count.

Since only 0.1 - 0.2 percent of defensive uses of guns involve the death of the criminal, any study, such as this, that counts criminal deaths as the only measure of the protective benefits of guns will expectedly underestimate the benefits of firearms by a factor of 500 to 1,000."5

In 1993, in his landmark and much cited NEJM article (and the research, again, heavily funded by the CDC), Dr. Kellermann attempted to show again that guns in the home are a greater risk to the victims than to the assailants.4 Despite valid criticisms by reputable scholars of his previous works (including the 1986 study), Dr. Kellermann ignored the criticisms and again used the same methodology.

He also used study populations with disproportionately high rates of serious psychosocial dysfunction from three selected state counties, known to be unrepresentative of the general U.S. population.

For example,

53 percent of the case subjects had a history of a household member being arrested,

31 percent had a household history of illicit drug use, 32 percent had a household member hit or hurt in a family fight, and

17 percent had a family member hurt so seriously in a domestic altercation that prompt medical attention was required.
Moreover, both the case studies and control groups in this analysis had a very high incidence of financial instability.

In fact, in this study, gun ownership, the supposedly high risk factor for homicide was not one of the most strongly associated factors for being murdered.

Drinking, illicit drugs, living alone, history of family violence, living in a rented home were all greater individual risk factors for being murdered than a gun in the home. One must conclude there is no basis to apply the conclusions of this study to the general population.

All of these are factors that, as Dr. Suter pointed out, "would expectedly be associated with higher rates of violence and homicide."5

It goes without saying, the results of such a study on gun homicides, selecting this sort of unrepresentative population sample, nullify the authors' generalizations, and their preordained, conclusions can not be extrapolated to the general population.

Moreover, although the 1993 New England Journal of Medicine study purported to show that the homicide victims were killed with a gun ordinarily kept in the home, the fact is that as Kates and associates point out 71.1 percent of the victims were killed by assailants who did not live in the victims¹ household using guns presumably not kept in that home.6

And the risk of suicide.....hmmmm.....then what do the Japanese, Chinese and South Koreans do when they commit suicide...since their countries have absolute gun control for law abiding citizens.....and only criminals and cops are allowed to have guns.......yet their suicide rates are higher than ours....

How is that possible....since they don't have guns for suicide?

And here is research that shows that the gun in the home and suicide myth is just that, a myth....

Fact Check, Gun Control and Suicide

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world.

According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000.

By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

Suicide is a mental health issue.

If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).

Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).

Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)

Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics.

According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000;

roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.

And if you look at your link....they hide behind children....as anti-gunners always do when they want to strip people of a Right.....

As to accidental death of children because people have guns in the home...there were 74.2 million children in the U.S. in 2010....how many died as a result of accidents with guns?

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/leading_causes_death.html

Accidental death by gun for children....

under 1: 3
age 1-4: 27
age 5-14: 39

Total accidental gun death for kids 2013....69
Total accidental gun death for kids in 2014...50

Now....tell us how many of those children lived in homes with gang banger families? How many lived with convicted felons...who can't have their guns legally in the first place....your anti gun link doesn't provide that information in their research....kinda relevant and important in this discussion..which is why they don't bring it up......

How many kids die in car accidents....as pedestrians, bike riders...938 in 2015.

Fatality Facts

Guns.....with 400 million guns in the country and over 15.7 million people carrying guns for self defense.......

48 vs. 938 vehicle deaths............

A little perspective.....how about that?

It's a joke moron. Except for the gun part.

Another answer I like is: "In sure your dentist won't appreciate you asking that question."

Forum List

Back