Does any real discussion happen on USMB? Or just insults, namecalling, and lies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the experience of many forums is any indication, relying on people to be nice and "set an example" etc., doesn't work.

Putting a ban against "personal attacks" into the Terms of Service, and then enforcing it fairly and rigorously, does.

I'm open to any other method that has a record of working. Until I see one, the ban against personal attacks (and the enforcement of it) is the ONLY method I've seen so far, that makes the board noticeably better (though, as I pointed out, not perfect).

The only method is for you to start your own foeum then you can create your own rules. Which I doubt you would follow based on previous things you've said to me.

People who don't follow the rules get suspended. And if they keep doing it, they get kicked out. Problem solved.

This forum would benefit greatly from such a course. IF it were enforced fairly and rigorously.

It seems that virtually every thread in this forum deteriorates into "You're an idiot!", "Well, you're even more of an idiot!", "Let me explain just how big an idiot you are!", "Democrats are deliberately trying to destroy the country!", "Republicans hate immigrants, poor people, anyone who isn't white, and women!".

If that's what you want to do with your forum, I'm in no position to object. No one forced me to come here, and no one's forcing me to stay.

**Is** that what you want to do with this forum?

I think you already know the answer..

There are Zones in USMB. Zone 1 does not allow personal attacks. Zone 2 does not allow trolling. In my humble opinion I would see Zone 3 not allow personal attacks, either, but

Really?

Which zone are we in now?

Last edited:
You forgot to call me a racist.

For a small fee, I can call you a racist.

Disclaimer: All parties to this agreement understand that this is just a standard business contractual agreement, and I do not actually consider any party to said agreement a racist.

There are Zones in USMB. Zone 1 does not allow personal attacks. Zone 2 does not allow trolling. In my humble opinion I would see Zone 3 not allow personal attacks, either, but

Really?

Looks like we are in Zone 2.

The rules say trolling and thread hijacking are not allowed. This gets violated regularly, seemingly without consequence.

The rules for Zone 2 don't mention personal attacks... which is the root of the problem.

If this were changed, and personal attacks were banned... it remains to be seen if the new rule would be enforced any better than the rules against trolling and thread hijacking are enforced (which is very little).

If personal attacks were made illegal, and if this rule (and all others) were rigorously and fairly enforced, then I believe the forum would improve over the course of some months, and stay improved.

Some offenders would change their ways. Other would get suspended, and a few would get eventually kicked out. And people who have avoided this place (I can name many) would start coming back... which would add to the improvement.

No forum will ever be perfect. But this one could use a LOT of improvement.

I asked that same question when I first came aboard. Regretfully, when rabid racists and Teapers are allowed to be the main attraction of the forum...this is what you get.

And here it starts.
Thanks for providing the perfect example for the OP.

Really?

The rules say trolling and thread hijacking are not allowed. This gets violated regularly, seemingly without consequence.

The rules for Zone 2 don't mention personal attacks... which is the root of the problem.

If this were changed, and personal attacks were banned... it remains to be seen if the new rule would be enforced any better than the rules against trolling and thread hijacking are enforced (which is very little).

If personal attacks were made illegal, and if this rule (and all others) were rigorously and fairly enforced, then I believe the forum would improve over the course of some months, and stay improved.

Some offenders would change their ways. Other would get suspended, and a few would get eventually kicked out. And people who have avoided this place (I can name many) would start coming back... which would add to the improvement.

I don't personally disagree with this.

I asked that same question when I first came aboard. Regretfully, when rabid racists and Teapers are allowed to be the main attraction of the forum...this is what you get.

And here it starts.
Thanks for providing the perfect example for the OP.

Like I said, if you get rid of the racists and the teapers, this forum would thrive.

Every thread is black people suck or its raining outside...Blame Obama.

Teapers??? lol. I tend to agree with Little Acorn. It appears, when someone is at a loss for words, the begin the rant of name calling and cursing as a rabid truck driver. It isn't often that someone can meet name calling with objective discussion and not return in kind.

When the language is so bad that it's hard to decipher a stream of thought, I pass the post entirely.

Really?

I don't personally disagree with this.

Ok, only a person running for Congress would say something like that. Which district are you planning to run in?

The entire losertrian belief system is one big fucking lie! Your Aim is to go back to the 19th century where most Americans lived in their own shit.

Sure, we'd have more freedoms, but we'd be a much weaker nation. I feel we can gain more freedoms by electing sane governments that aim to keep our nation the best.

It seems that virtually every thread in this forum deteriorates into "You're an idiot!", "Well, you're even more of an idiot!", "Let me explain just how big an idiot you are!", "Democrats are deliberately trying to destroy the country!", "Republicans hate immigrants, poor people, anyone who isn't white, and women!".

If that's what you want to do with your forum, I'm in no position to object. No one forced me to come here, and no one's forcing me to stay.

have you ever seen this section ? it is two forums below this one, try it you may like it. :up:

Clean Debate Zone

The Clean Debate Zone is to be used for the clean debating of Government Policies, Candidates, Current News and Events ONLY. No personal attacks, name calling, flaming etc is allowed in this section.

Its the right wingers doing most of that.

Get out. You are the biggest culprit. You are a foreign national. You don't even belong here because what goes on here is none of your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back