Does anyone actually think that Donald Trump would make a good President?

YouGov poll: Veterans view Trump more favorably than they do McCain

Hot Air ^ | July 23,2015 | ALLAHPUNDIT
What makes those numbers even more amazing is that veterans are outliers on this. Among the wider public, McCain’s favorable rating is 40/45 while Trump’s is 34/60. You tell me: Why don’t vets prefer McCain, even as the lesser of two evils? One theory is that veterans tend to be conservative, which means they have many years of political grievances against ol’ Maverick piled up. If that were true, though, we should see McCain struggling among Republicans generally. We don’t. His favorable rating among GOPers is 57/36, slightly better than Trump’s at 57/39. Another theory: Maybe vets appreciate Trump for...

I would love to see Trump call Poootin a loser KGB agent. Presidents need s filter on words. I don't think Trump is capable of filtering anything.

Putin doesn't filter, neither did Reagan, Thatcher, FDR, Truman, or Kennedy. Politicians who filter suck.

There is no comparison between Trump and any of those people. Can you imagine Kennedy or Reagan saying, "I am rich. I am very rich." to a televised audience. They had too much class. Something that Trump seems to lack.

So its better to lie? "if you like your plan you can keep it" "I never sent any classified email on my server".

Trump is rich. Thats why he would owe no favors to any special interest group, no one could buy him.

You need to listen to one of Trump's latest statements carefully. He said unless the GOP treats him fairly, he may seek an independent run. Then he walked that back by saying that he really wants to run as a Republican. The GOP is basically being blackmailed. Either you award Trump the nomination or he will run as a third party and then a repeat of GW Bush and Clinton. Take your choice. That is what Trump is saying.

Trump cannot win the general. He may be ahead in the GOP polls, but he cannot control himself enough to show he can be Presidential. As a number of attendees at one of his rallies said when interviewed, "He scares me." No one really wants a Bully for President....

We have elected a long line of sell-outs and scum heavily on the basis of being "presidential". Its a superficial
criteria, easily manipulated by advertising.

Trump as far as I can tell is only "bullying" those who insulted him, like Grahm who called him a Jackass.

Interestingly(from Wikipedia)
This term bully pulpit was coined by President Theodore Roosevelt who referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit", by which he meant a terrific platform from which to advocate an agenda. Roosevelt used the word bully as an adjective meaning "superb" or "wonderful", a more common usage in his time than it is today. Another expression which survives from this era is "bully for you", synonymous with "good for you".

Trump is the best thing to happen yo the Dems in a long time.....Plus he is a liberal in conservative clothing. And the RW loons love him.

I would love to see Trump call Poootin a loser KGB agent. Presidents need s filter on words. I don't think Trump is capable of filtering anything.

Putin doesn't filter, neither did Reagan, Thatcher, FDR, Truman, or Kennedy. Politicians who filter suck.

There is no comparison between Trump and any of those people. Can you imagine Kennedy or Reagan saying, "I am rich. I am very rich." to a televised audience. They had too much class. Something that Trump seems to lack.

So its better to lie? "if you like your plan you can keep it" "I never sent any classified email on my server".

Trump is rich. Thats why he would owe no favors to any special interest group, no one could buy him.

You need to listen to one of Trump's latest statements carefully. He said unless the GOP treats him fairly, he may seek an independent run. Then he walked that back by saying that he really wants to run as a Republican. The GOP is basically being blackmailed. Either you award Trump the nomination or he will run as a third party and then a repeat of GW Bush and Clinton. Take your choice. That is what Trump is saying.

Trump cannot win the general. He may be ahead in the GOP polls, but he cannot control himself enough to show he can be Presidential. As a number of attendees at one of his rallies said when interviewed, "He scares me." No one really wants a Bully for President....

We have elected a long line of sell-outs and scum heavily on the basis of being "presidential". Its a superficial

Trump as far as I can tell is only "bullying" those who insulted him, like Grahm who called him a Jackass.

This term bully pulpit was coined by President Theodore Roosevelt who referred to the White House as a "bully pulpit", by which he meant a terrific platform from which to advocate an agenda. Roosevelt used the word bully as an adjective meaning "superb" or "wonderful", a more common usage in his time than it is today. Another expression which survives from this era is "bully for you", synonymous with "good for you".

And Trump is still a jackass.

I suspect Trump would change the meaning of bully pulpit from a platform to advocate an agenda to a platform to intimidate and harass the opposition.

I suspect Trump would change the meaning of bully pulpit from a platform to advocate an agenda to a platform to intimidate and harass the opposition.

I imagine TR opponents thought he could be pretty intimidating and harassing........Including a guy I much admire, William Jennings Bryan.

I imagine TR opponents thought he could be pretty intimidating and harassing........Including a guy I much admire, William Jennings Bryan.
Compared to Trump, TR was a pussy cat.

If he wins the nomination he will get lukewarm support from power brokers in the party who hate his guts and don't trust him.

I completely disagree. IF he wins the GOP nomination, the game changes. These "power brokers" have no power to broker and no one to broker it to. You think the GOP elites are going to sit silently in the corner with their lip run out? Most of these shit-for-brains are already well on record saying "elections have consequences" while delivering Obama's agenda... so now they're going to suddenly abandon that philosophy when their own party wins the presidency? I don't see that happening.

90% of the "Establishment Elite" who Conservatives are totally pissed off with at the moment, are completely feckless because they don't have a leader with a vision. Every one of them want to be politically relevant and the best way for them to do that will be to get on board with their new president and do his bidding. There will be no shortage of political whores in the GOP who are more than willing to do just that.

As much as they hate him now, they will fall right in line IF he wins. Watch and see!

If he goes for a 3rd party run, he steals most of the far right and it's a major win for the Democrats.

I agree but that's also why I don't think he would run 3rd party. That said, I think he could run 3rd party and win under the right circumstances. Keep in mind, he is a New Yorker, he could pull a lot of the Hillary base very easily. I'm not sure he won't take NY as a Republican.... that spells some real trouble for Democrats electorally. He has the potential of running a free-wheeling campaign that truly IS a "big tent" appeal, and win a lot of votes. Everyone else is too politically tainted to pull it off, but Trump could.

Still... I think if he sees he is clearly not going to win the GOP nomination and it's not very close... he pulls out and throws his support to one of the front-runners.

Compared to Trump, TR was a pussy cat.

really, some called TR a warmonger

SIGH
obama is a pussy who is able to bully people from behind his position of power using the bully pulpit

i dont know why that is so hard to understand

kind of like a mafia accountant talking smack in a bar

Most bullies ARE wusses and cowards at heart. That's WHY they bully. People with real courage and strength don't have to engage in "measure-the-dick" contests and power plays.

SIGH
obama is a pussy who is able to bully people from behind his position of power using the bully pulpit

i dont know why that is so hard to understand

kind of like a mafia accountant talking smack in a bar

Most bullies ARE wusses and cowards at heart. That's WHY they bully. People with real courage and strength don't have to engage in "measure-the-dick" contests and power plays.

Yes, that's why we have such a fucking pussy in the WH now. Putin steps on his RED LINE, He try's to overthrow Israel's government, and gets bitch slapped, he GIVES IRAN a nuclear bomb, and they KEPT 4 AMERICAN prisoners to boot.... need more brain dead woman?....Yes we need MORE DemocRATS, NeoCommies, and subversives to control our government!

I want a bully for president. No, really... I think that is exactly what we need. For FAR too long the GOP has been walking on egg shells, trying to play nice with liberals, not wanting to appear mean or rude... It has gotten them clobbered politically. Beaten black and blue by radical nutjobs who have no business running our country.

I like the way Trump deals with jerks, he's a jerk right back in their face and he is better at it. For those who think he is a "loose cannon" I kind of disagree.. I think he is brilliant. He knows exactly what he's doing. The controversy over his illegal immigration comments focused the nation on the issue of illegal immigration for several weeks. Then he made the comments about McCain... now you have had two weeks of Liberals falling all over themselves to "honor war heroes" ...when the hell has THAT ever happened?

He is effectively using their tactic, which has been working well for them, to bash them over their stupid heads with. He says something "controversial" and liberals leap to take the bait and run with it... next thing you know, he's gotten a bump in the polls!
You have finally hit on something Trump can do quite well. It's not likely to get him elected but it's entertaining and will certain create plenty of problems for GOP.

Yeah, you just cling to that mindless partisan hatred.

Trump is creating problems for ALL the candidates, on both sides of the aisle. Start with the fact that he has virtually killed excitement and media attention for every other candidate. They're all just sitting on their thumbs in the corner, desperately trying to think of a way to get their names in the headlines. He has the media bully pulpit right now, and he's brash and bombastic and smart enough to use it to control and define the debate, and make everyone else dance to his tune and respond to his narrative.

Furthermore, the other GOP candidates are slowly starting to get a clue what it is that people like about Trump and take a lesson from him about being real, blunt, honest, and not backing down and doing an immediate mea culpa the instant the left shits its frillies and starts screeching faux outrage about something. Even if Trump doesn't make it out of the primaries, the Democrat candidate is going to have a much harder contest with whoever the GOP does nominate, because that person is going to have to have more of a spine than recent candidates have had.

+

I have to disagree. I think there're many people who want a bully as president, someone that will kick ass in Washington, tell Putin to go fuck himself, blackmail congressmen, use the powers of the president to punish the opposition.

In politics, a bully is just another name for a dictator.

Depends on who he's bullying.

I want a bully for president. No, really... I think that is exactly what we need. For FAR too long the GOP has been walking on egg shells, trying to play nice with liberals, not wanting to appear mean or rude... It has gotten them clobbered politically. Beaten black and blue by radical nutjobs who have no business running our country.

I like the way Trump deals with jerks, he's a jerk right back in their face and he is better at it. For those who think he is a "loose cannon" I kind of disagree.. I think he is brilliant. He knows exactly what he's doing. The controversy over his illegal immigration comments focused the nation on the issue of illegal immigration for several weeks. Then he made the comments about McCain... now you have had two weeks of Liberals falling all over themselves to "honor war heroes" ...when the hell has THAT ever happened?

He is effectively using their tactic, which has been working well for them, to bash them over their stupid heads with. He says something "controversial" and liberals leap to take the bait and run with it... next thing you know, he's gotten a bump in the polls!
You have finally hit on something Trump can do quite well. It's not likely to get him elected but it's entertaining and will certain create plenty of problems for GOP.

Yeah, you just cling to that mindless partisan hatred.

Trump is creating problems for ALL the candidates, on both sides of the aisle. Start with the fact that he has virtually killed excitement and media attention for every other candidate. They're all just sitting on their thumbs in the corner, desperately trying to think of a way to get their names in the headlines. He has the media bully pulpit right now, and he's brash and bombastic and smart enough to use it to control and define the debate, and make everyone else dance to his tune and respond to his narrative.

Furthermore, the other GOP candidates are slowly starting to get a clue what it is that people like about Trump and take a lesson from him about being real, blunt, honest, and not backing down and doing an immediate mea culpa the instant the left shits its frillies and starts screeching faux outrage about something. Even if Trump doesn't make it out of the primaries, the Democrat candidate is going to have a much harder contest with whoever the GOP does nominate, because that person is going to have to have more of a spine than recent candidates have had.

Don't you think the Republicans should have seen this coming? EVERY policy that the Manchurian muslim wanted passed since the Rep. took both houses has been passed.... These people, on the whole, and NOT ALL OF THEM, need to go away, Trump is simply the broom doing the sweeping. Ted Cruz is good, BUT he doesn't command the presence, or the notoriety of the Trumpster! Nice thing about Trump, that you don't hear being said, is that the 18-35 year olds LOVE him, because of his "YOUR FIRED" TV show!....They know he's right and has the balls to follow through!

Uh, we currently have an Anti-American Muslim foreigner as a President. Pretty much anything goes now. So yeah, i think Trump would do ok.

If he wins the nomination he will get lukewarm support from power brokers in the party who hate his guts and don't trust him.

I completely disagree. IF he wins the GOP nomination, the game changes. These "power brokers" have no power to broker and no one to broker it to. You think the GOP elites are going to sit silently in the corner with their lip run out? Most of these shit-for-brains are already well on record saying "elections have consequences" while delivering Obama's agenda... so now they're going to suddenly abandon that philosophy when their own party wins the presidency? I don't see that happening.

90% of the "Establishment Elite" who Conservatives are totally pissed off with at the moment, are completely feckless because they don't have a leader with a vision. Every one of them want to be politically relevant and the best way for them to do that will be to get on board with their new president and do his bidding. There will be no shortage of political whores in the GOP who are more than willing to do just that.

As much as they hate him now, they will fall right in line IF he wins. Watch and see!
I not saying, he want get support from his party. I'm saying it will be lukewarm in many quarters where it should be wholehearted support, endorsements with out campaigning. Remember, these guys all have their own agenda and answer to different masters.

Forum List

Back