Does how you dress affect how you're treated?

I spent my time in monkey suits and I hated every minute of it.

Now I do not own a suit. Will not own a suit.

I usually dress in work clothes. Carhartt's mostly.

I don't give a shit what people think of my wardrobe and I don't have to.

Who would even be around to care out there in your bunker, Francis?

OH my, all this reminds me of when we were just out of law school, one of my friends who did sit for the bar and practiced was struggling. Her boyfriend told her she had 'a little image problem' She asked me and reluctantly I told her he did have a point. She came to visit, and I showed her my gold jewelry I wore when I worked, and suggested she might want a better car than the little hatchback with the side mirror torn off. Also suggested she invest in some designer things like shoes and purse. And maybe 3 expensive business suits, one to wear, one to hang in the closet, and one to go to the cleaners.

When she looked around at the other lady lawyers in town she saw of what we spoke
She did all that I advised, traded the hatchback for a Mercedes that she got for a song at CarMax. Recession was in full swing, so luxury cars were really cheap. She bought a nice diamond ring at a pawn shop, and some gold earrings. She bought suits from Dun and Bradstreet, some nice shoes and a $400 Brahmin purse that would go with all of them. All that made a world of difference in her business.

In the world of business and law, you don't dress for the job you have. You dress for the job you WANT to have. It is pretty much the same in social circles.

When I was just starting out as a new lawyer, my friend who had been a lawyer for many years told me all about how to dress. She once bought a $700.00 dress just to wear for closing argument. It was blue and blue is a calming confident color. When you want people to have confidence in you, you have to look like you have confidence in yourself and that you are successful. That's just the way it is. Why do you think obama handed out those white lab coats to everyone in attendance at his speech for obamacare? The perception that people will believe someone dressed like a doctor.

Ever notice Hussein always wears black?....my suspicion is it makes his skin look lighter is why.

A lot of whites wear clothing that highlights or subdues their coloring.

It's a human behavior, folks.

Ever notice Hussein always wears black?....my suspicion is it makes his skin look lighter is why.

A lot of blacks I know won't get out in the sun because they don't want to turn 'charcoal.'

My dad was from Texas and he referred to light-skinned blacks as "high-browns" while other relatives from the south referred to them as "high-yellas"...it was all about passing for white or not offending while mixing with whites in segregated areas. To this day, if Obama were "coal" black, he'd have never gotten anywhere near the WH.

That is true, and left wing hack Phil Donohue had Carol Jackson, the author of Color Me Beautiful on his show. That is how I learned to choose the correct clothes for my skin tone. According to her we are all either green or blue, even blacks. When we figure out if we are green or blue, then we can figure out our 'season' and choose colors for ourselves correctly. My underlying skin tone is blue. So, even having red hair, green isn't really that great for me because it makes me look sallow. But turquoise, peach, yellow, hot pink, & beige are all knockout colors for me. And, yes, I own the book.

Find Your Season or What Season Am I-Would You Say Your Hair Is Light or Dark Color Me Beautiful Seasons Guide

Color Me Beautiful by Carole Jackson | 9780345345882 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Last edited:
OH my, all this reminds me of when we were just out of law school, one of my friends who did sit for the bar and practiced was struggling. Her boyfriend told her she had 'a little image problem' She asked me and reluctantly I told her he did have a point. She came to visit, and I showed her my gold jewelry I wore when I worked, and suggested she might want a better car than the little hatchback with the side mirror torn off. Also suggested she invest in some designer things like shoes and purse. And maybe 3 expensive business suits, one to wear, one to hang in the closet, and one to go to the cleaners.

When she looked around at the other lady lawyers in town she saw of what we spoke
She did all that I advised, traded the hatchback for a Mercedes that she got for a song at CarMax. Recession was in full swing, so luxury cars were really cheap. She bought a nice diamond ring at a pawn shop, and some gold earrings. She bought suits from Dun and Bradstreet, some nice shoes and a $400 Brahmin purse that would go with all of them. All that made a world of difference in her business.

In the world of business and law, you don't dress for the job you have. You dress for the job you WANT to have. It is pretty much the same in social circles.

You are a very sharp woman, Sunshine. Your advise was perfect.

Personally I don't care for jewelry and preferred a more neutral look anyhow as I was competing mostly with men in the sales industry I was in back then - for that type atmosphere I recommend - no jewelry, a rolex watch and like you said, 3 nice business suits, they must own a navy suit - navy is the ultimate power suit, I recommend those on a budget to spend most of their money on the accessories - watch, shoes, handbag and sunglasses. Because you'll use those every day. Get the most out of your money and make it work for you.

Sunshine said:
The key is your clients need to see you as already successful. Not hoping to be there one day.

:clap2: Bingo.

-Jeri

For lying moron aka fakey at al:
Abstract
Using survey responses from a sample of 185 college women enrolled at a large northwestern university, this study identified the various risk factors related to three different forms of verbally and physically coercive sexual victimization. Three logistic regression models were estimated and findings indicated that (1) more sexual partners and delays in responding to danger in sexual settings significantly increased the odds of experiencing unwanted sex as a result of verbal coercion, (2) an increased number of sex partners significantly increased the odds of experiencing alcohol-induced sexual assault, and (3) an increased number of sex partners and affiliation with the university Greek system significantly increased the odds of experiencing completed rape. Future research directions and policy implications are discussed.

Abstract
Using survey responses from a sample of 185 college women enrolled at a large northwestern university, this study identified the various risk factors related to three different forms of verbally and physically coercive sexual victimization. Three logistic regression models were estimated and findings indicated that (1) more sexual partners and delays in responding to danger in sexual settings significantly increased the odds of experiencing unwanted sex as a result of verbal coercion, (2) an increased number of sex partners significantly increased the odds of experiencing alcohol-induced sexual assault, and (3) an increased number of sex partners and affiliation with the university Greek system significantly increased the odds of experiencing completed rape. Future research directions and policy implications are discussed.

Abstract

Abstract
Using survey responses from a sample of 185 college women enrolled at a large northwestern university, this study identified the various risk factors related to three different forms of verbally and physically coercive sexual victimization. Three logistic regression models were estimated and findings indicated that (1) more sexual partners and delays in responding to danger in sexual settings significantly increased the odds of experiencing unwanted sex as a result of verbal coercion, (2) an increased number of sex partners significantly increased the odds of experiencing alcohol-induced sexual assault, and (3) an increased number of sex partners and affiliation with the university Greek system significantly increased the odds of experiencing completed rape. Future research directions and policy implications are discussed.Physically forced, alcohol-induced, and verbally coerced sexual victimization: Assessing risk factors among university women

Foe our grandparents it used to be just plain common sense - if you dress like a slut, if you ehave like a slut you are going to be judged and treted like one.
Now we have scientific studies proving the obvious, so idiots like fakey won't lie and twist the words of somebody they don't like.

Rape is a traumatic event with severe consequences for women. Therefore, women may have evolved psychological mechanisms that motivate them to avoid circumstances linked with rape. We present the development and initial psychometric assessment of an inventory designed to assess women’s rape avoidance behaviors. In Study 1 (N = 99), we conducted an act nomination procedure to identify specific behaviors for inclusion in a preliminary rape avoidance inventory. In Study 2 (N = 144), we secured performance reports for the behaviors assessed by the inventory. We present the results of principal components analyses and the construction of the rape avoidance inventory (RAI). We identified four components of women’s rape avoidance behaviors as assessed by the RAI: avoid strange men, avoid appearing sexually receptive, avoid being alone, and awareness of surroundings/defensive preparedness. We demonstrate that, as predicted, performance of rape avoidance behaviors is negatively associated with a measure of interest in and pursuit of short-term sex. We conclude that the RAI is a useful tool for future research on rape avoidance and rape prevention.

Development and initial psychometric assessment of the rape avoidance inventory

26 New England Law Review 1991-1992 Sexual Abuse, Sexy Dressing and the Eroticization of Domination Symposium on Feminist Critical Legal Studies and Postmodernism: Part Two: The Politics of Gender Identity

26 New Eng. L. Rev. 1309 (1991-1992)
Sexual Abuse, Sexy Dressing and the Eroticization of Domination; Kennedy, Duncan

A variety of research on rapists will be reviewed, including research on date rapists, marital rapists, and convicted offenders. The main thesis is that men's cognitions foster rape. These cognitions involve rapists' attitudes and beliefs about sex (e.g., rape-supportive beliefs, sexual preoccupation, and hypersexuality), their sexual scripts (including fantasies and sexual plans), and their beliefs about appropriate masculinity (i.e., hypermasculinity). This model proposes that acquaintance and incarcerated rapists are linked by a common belief system. These cognitions provide justifications of rape for the potential rapist by promoting sexual narcissism and by suggesting women's complicity in rape. They give rapists a sense of entitlement and aid in the planning and preparation for rape. They also encourage rapists' denial and minimization of rape. Thus, it is what some men think that enables them to rape.

Other common cues may include provocative dress, an isolated location, previous consensual
sex ...

Further evidence for a cognitive component of rape

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

but woman haters as fakey will push the risky behaviours in women becasue they do not care if the risky behaviour is going to damage the woman or not.
Hope you don't have daughters, fakey et al.

That is not why Obama has an obsession with Black suits. Bottom line is he isn't the godfather. It's a case of wishful thinking. Nothing more. You'll see in the end how this plays out, Starkey.

- Jeri

Personally I don't care for jewelry and preferred a more neutral look anyhow as I was competing mostly with men in the sales industry I was in back then - for that type atmosphere I recommend - no jewelry, a rolex watch and like you said, 3 nice business suits, they must own a navy suit - navy is the ultimate power suit, I recommend those on a budget to spend most of their money on the accessories - watch, shoes, handbag and sunglasses. Because you'll use those every day. Get the most out of your money and make it work for you.

Sunshine said:
The key is your clients need to see you as already successful. Not hoping to be there one day.

-Jeri

She also started trying to look like she had been to the spa when she had not been to the spa. She bought a book on how to do your own fingernails and toenails. She let her nails grow a bit and started doing them. She really looked much different after she had done all that.

I do my own nails as well, now due to the knee replacements. I just can't afford to pick up staph in a spa from a basin or a bowl used for manicures and pedicures. I always kept them short and clean when I worked because I was in a medical field. One day a patient came in and said, 'I like your nails.' They were just the short clean surgeon style, not the long fiberglass ones like my coworkers had.

Sunshine said:

-Jeri

She also started trying to look like she had been to the spa when she had not been to the spa. She bought a book on how to do your own fingernails and toenails. She let her nails grow a bit and started doing them. She really looked much different after she had done all that.

I do my own nails as well, now due to the knee replacements. I just can't afford to pick up staph in a spa from a basin or a bowl used for manicures and pedicures. I always kept them short and clean when I worked because I was in a medical field. One day a patient came in and said, 'I like your nails.' They were just the short clean surgeon style, not the long fiberglass ones like my coworkers had.[/QUOTE

That is my kind of manicure. Women with long fiberglass fingernails are missing the boat. imo. You have class, Sunshine. That woman had better thank her lucky stars she took your advice. Good job! - J.

You see little sheep I don't gauge my self worth on external validation like you.

I don't have to play the game anymore because I own the board now.

Run along and get your power tie so your betters will think you're something special.

You see little sheep I don't gauge my self worth on external validation like you.

I don't have to play the game anymore because I own the board now.

Run along and get your power tie so your betters will think you're something special.

If I did not gauge ANY self-worth on external validation, then I wouldn't wear anything at all......

:eusa_hand:

....well, maybe a lioncloth, but only to keep me out of jail.

For lying moron aka fakey at al:
Abstract

Abstract

Abstract

Abstract
Using survey responses from a sample of 185 college women enrolled at a large northwestern university, this study identified the various risk factors related to three different forms of verbally and physically coercive sexual victimization. Three logistic regression models were estimated and findings indicated that (1) more sexual partners and delays in responding to danger in sexual settings significantly increased the odds of experiencing unwanted sex as a result of verbal coercion, (2) an increased number of sex partners significantly increased the odds of experiencing alcohol-induced sexual assault, and (3) an increased number of sex partners and affiliation with the university Greek system significantly increased the odds of experiencing completed rape. Future research directions and policy implications are discussed.Physically forced, alcohol-induced, and verbally coerced sexual victimization: Assessing risk factors among university women

Foe our grandparents it used to be just plain common sense - if you dress like a slut, if you ehave like a slut you are going to be judged and treted like one.
Now we have scientific studies proving the obvious, so idiots like fakey won't lie and twist the words of somebody they don't like.

Rape is a traumatic event with severe consequences for women. Therefore, women may have evolved psychological mechanisms that motivate them to avoid circumstances linked with rape. We present the development and initial psychometric assessment of an inventory designed to assess women’s rape avoidance behaviors. In Study 1 (N = 99), we conducted an act nomination procedure to identify specific behaviors for inclusion in a preliminary rape avoidance inventory. In Study 2 (N = 144), we secured performance reports for the behaviors assessed by the inventory. We present the results of principal components analyses and the construction of the rape avoidance inventory (RAI). We identified four components of women’s rape avoidance behaviors as assessed by the RAI: avoid strange men, avoid appearing sexually receptive, avoid being alone, and awareness of surroundings/defensive preparedness. We demonstrate that, as predicted, performance of rape avoidance behaviors is negatively associated with a measure of interest in and pursuit of short-term sex. We conclude that the RAI is a useful tool for future research on rape avoidance and rape prevention.

Development and initial psychometric assessment of the rape avoidance inventory

26 New England Law Review 1991-1992 Sexual Abuse, Sexy Dressing and the Eroticization of Domination Symposium on Feminist Critical Legal Studies and Postmodernism: Part Two: The Politics of Gender Identity

26 New Eng. L. Rev. 1309 (1991-1992)
Sexual Abuse, Sexy Dressing and the Eroticization of Domination; Kennedy, Duncan

A variety of research on rapists will be reviewed, including research on date rapists, marital rapists, and convicted offenders. The main thesis is that men's cognitions foster rape. These cognitions involve rapists' attitudes and beliefs about sex (e.g., rape-supportive beliefs, sexual preoccupation, and hypersexuality), their sexual scripts (including fantasies and sexual plans), and their beliefs about appropriate masculinity (i.e., hypermasculinity). This model proposes that acquaintance and incarcerated rapists are linked by a common belief system. These cognitions provide justifications of rape for the potential rapist by promoting sexual narcissism and by suggesting women's complicity in rape. They give rapists a sense of entitlement and aid in the planning and preparation for rape. They also encourage rapists' denial and minimization of rape. Thus, it is what some men think that enables them to rape.

Other common cues may include provocative dress, an isolated location, previous consensual
sex ...

Further evidence for a cognitive component of rape

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

but woman haters as fakey will push the risky behaviours in women becasue they do not care if the risky behaviour is going to damage the woman or not.
Hope you don't have daughters, fakey et al.

So....where's the 'statistics' ? That jibberish is nothing more than psycho-babble...you said you based your judgment on STATISTICS...did you not?
Again...dig some more and show us those STATISTICS

read the links and you will have the statistics.

or you do not know how to read, moron?

Last edited:
When people discriminate it's not always about race. It's best to be aware that while first impressions may be lasting they can also be deceiving.

I was dining with a friend at a wonderful, and ambient waterfront restaurant. A man with a beard and VERY long, down his back, stringy, grey thining hair with a shirt hanging out over his faded jeans, walked by, bent over, picked something up off the floor and continued walking. I thought he looked as if his home would be under a local bridge. I asked our server what that strange looking man with the butt floss picked up off the floor and she said, "oh! that's the owner, from Portland. He owns 3 of these great restaurants....:eek: :eek: :eek:

That experience taught me a lesson....

my richest friend looks like he could be my poorest friend.

When people discriminate it's not always about race. It's best to be aware that while first impressions may be lasting they can also be deceiving.

I was dining with a friend at a wonderful, and ambient waterfront restaurant. A man with a beard and VERY long, down his back, stringy, grey thining hair with a shirt hanging out over his faded jeans, walked by, bent over, picked something up off the floor and continued walking. I thought he looked as if his home would be under a local bridge. I asked our server what that strange looking man with the butt floss picked up off the floor and she said, "oh! that's the owner, from Portland. He owns 3 of these great restaurants....:eek: :eek: :eek:

That experience taught me a lesson....

my richest friend looks like he could be my poorest friend.

All your friends walk around nekkid.

So....where's the 'statistics' ? That jibberish is nothing more than psycho-babble...you said you based your judgment on STATISTICS...did you not?
Again...dig some more and show us those STATISTICS

read the links and you will have the statistics.

or you do not know how to read, moron?

Uh...those are NOT statistics...dumbass.

:eusa_hand:

Using survey responses from a sample of 185 college women enrolled at a large northwestern university, this study identified the various risk factors related to three different forms of verbally and physically coercive sexual victimization. Three logistic regression models were estimated ...

Well, it certainly sounds like statistics.

Last edited:

Uh...those are NOT statistics...dumbass.[/QUOTE]

moron, there are statistics inside every study.

and on cdc.gov.

you are clearly demonstrating one of the key elements of these statistics, BTW.
If you do not lie about your experience

Last edited:

Forum List

Back