Zone1 Does the Human Soul have Consciousness?

If somebody loses a few of their senses, you're saying they've lost some consciousness?

If one lost a sense of smell. one would not be conscious of stinky thing? I know, people who have lost a sense .. they are aware of things from experience before losing the sense.

Consciousness and being conscious of something -- a few distinct differences there.
Sure, not sure it changes anything though. It seems to me that consciousness is an integral part of living things.

Sure, not sure it changes anything though. It seems to me that consciousness is an integral part of living things.
Are all patients who are diagnosed with so-called disorders of consciousness,

really conscious? The minimally conscious? The vegetative state ones? Can one lose all measurable consciousness and still be considered to be alive?

really conscious? The minimally conscious? The vegetative state ones? Can one lose all measurable consciousness and still be considered to be alive?
It seems to me that if one responds to his environment then there must be some level of consciousness. This would be true for bacteria or a fetus in the womb.

It seems to me that if one responds to his environment then there must be some level of consciousness. This would be true for bacteria or a fetus in the womb.
responds to environment?

Maybe I was unclear. A few new studies have come out. One listed here.

Modern science and understanding has nothing to do with the ancient beliefs on which Christianity was founded. The church used to tie a string on a buried person's finger that was attached to a bell so that the 'not dead' could notify the priest to get somebody to start digging.

responds to environment?

Maybe I was unclear. A few new studies have come out. One listed here.

Yes, responds to its environment - one of the characteristic of living things. Do you imagine bacteria or a fetus in the womb have developed brains?

Patients with brain injury who are unresponsive to commands may perform cognitive tasks that are detected on functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG).

Not sure what you think this is saying or what its relevance is. Seems like you are trying to define the rule by exception.

Modern science and understanding has nothing to do with the ancient beliefs on which Christianity was founded. The church used to tie a string on a buried person's finger that was attached to a bell so that the 'not dead' could notify the priest to get somebody to start digging.
You're like a dog with a bone.

"science has nothing to do with ancient beliefs" agreed, correct.

actually, that shit about the Bell is a myth

Yes, responds to its environment - one of the characteristic of living things. Do you imagine bacteria or a fetus in the womb have developed brains?

Patients with brain injury who are unresponsive to commands may perform cognitive tasks that are detected on functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG).

Not sure what you think this is saying or what its relevance is. Seems like you are trying to define the rule by exception.
"Fetus in the womb have developed brains?"

Do YOU imagine bacteria or a fetus in the womb have developed brains?

Wouldn't those be better analogs to use than brain dead or brain damaged patients for the point you are trying to make? Because I'm happy to concede that elvis has left the building (i.e. consciousness) for dead people or brain dead people. So while I don't believe that consciousness necessarily resides in the brain, it does play a major part in it. Which is why I believe bacteria or a fetus in the womb are great analogs for debating consciousness. But I could use plants just as well. Unless of course you don't believe that plants can sense danger and communicate the danger to the other plants.

Science is about being "able to make predictions of nature?"

You've lost me

ltr

D
Yes, that's what discovering the order of nature is all about. To be able to use that orderliness to make predictions. What was the value of Newton's discoveries or Einstein's? To make predictions. If I hit an 8oz ball with 1000 lbf at a launch angle of 22 Deg on Mars, what will happen?

Forum List

Back