Zone1 Does the Human Soul have Consciousness?

I don't know if birds have emotional feelings. If they do, to what extent and how deep? Are they self-aware?

I wish I could read the mind of a wild animal. Would that make me a god messing with a soul?
George Wald responds:

Does a frog see? It reacts to light -- so does a photocell‑activated garage door. But does it know it is responding, is it aware of visual images?

There is nothing whatever that I can do as a scientist to answer that question. That is the problem of consciousness: it is altogether impervious to scientific approach.

George Wald responds:

Does a frog see? It reacts to light -- so does a photocell‑activated garage door. But does it know it is responding, is it aware of visual images?

There is nothing whatever that I can do as a scientist to answer that question. That is the problem of consciousness: it is altogether impervious to scientific approach.
My problem with that last sentence is how often things thought to be altogether impervious to scientific approach, ended up being scientifically examined.

Right now, since we don't even agree on what consciousness is, we're going in circles. But...

But if we go with what people here have claimed to be consciousness "mind / will / emotions / personality)?" We all know those things all exist in the brain (mind). Brain science can pinpoint where those things appear/generate..etc

I have heard many life after death accounts that challenge the notion that all there is, is a material universe, but usually people discount it as chemical reactions in the brain that cause people to have visions of a life to come
I was thinking of the account of a woman, blind since birth that had brain surgery for cancer, I believe. They had to shut her brain down completely. She left her body and when it was all over she described the tools that were used, the music that the surgeon was singing and they were wearing blue scrubs. She saw color.

I had an out of body experience in an ambulance, but never left the vehicle. When she heard them say my heart had stopped, my mother was contemplating just stepping right out of the ambulance. The instant I thought I needed to get back in that body, I was. And I tried to move my little finger to show her I was alive, but it was so heavy, I could move it. So I moaned.

It is my understanding that consciousness (awareness of one's singularity) is a basic human trait which allows for the concept of an individual soul, something that transcends physical life. However, as a matter of brain function, consciousness ceases after death. The question I have is does some sort of consciousness remain with the human soul? If not, how would we be aware of any continuity after death, and whether that constituted a reward or punishment for our earthly behavior?

It seems to me that, without some continuing consciousness, we would never know if we had a soul, much less have any recognition of where our souls might ultimately reside. Has anyone else considered this potential dilemma? If so, what are your thoughts?
I certainly could be incorrect in my following evaluation but I will give it my best shot; the soul is like a VIN number is to a vehicle so Maker can identify the year & model number of his individual creations. Most likely our souls also carry all the vital statistics that were embedded in us during the manufacturing process like intelligence package, physical capabilities, longevity, overall performance, etc. I see the SPIRT as the power source(battery) that powers the physical creations. Disconnect the spirit/battery & the living creation goes dead. Hook up the spirit/battery & the spirit/creature comes to life.

How it all goes together & @ what steps are taken during the manufacturing/creation process the options etc. are installed at, is any ones guess. Then there has to be different assembly lines for other creatures so one can see this process could get complicated quickly. I try my best to simplify the process so it can @ least be understood by the average Joe @ the street level. The multi dimensional aspects of it all are best left to the theoretical physicists which have the brain power to @ least comprehend several other dimensions besides our own 3-1/2 dimensional continuum.

Forum List

Back